Thread: Gun Safes

Default Gun Safes

My rather "frugal" wife suggested we get a gun safe after we finish refinancing our house.

So soon I will be shopping for one but I hoping to get some input from people that may have one regarding what to look for. Also, what you do or do not like about yours, or other ones you have seen or used.

Thanks!

Default Go Big

When I got mine, I thought...

"I will never fill that thing"...

Well here I am 6 years later wishing I had more room. We do not only keep fire amrs and ammo in the safe, but optics, important papers, coin collection and other odds and ends.

If you have the room and the budget, get one that is twice as big as you think you need.

For the record I have the Liberty "Lincoln" 24 gun safe. Not big enough!

Happy shopping.

Default I posted this in another thread...

I have been shopping for and researching safes here in Fairbanks for a few weeks now. As far as I'm concerned the only safe in town worth buying is the AMSEC (American Security) BF6032 at Action Locksmiths-AMSEC BF series safes. ALL the other safes in town have no thicker than 12 gauge metal and all have sheetrock fire insulation. The only exception is the Browning Medalions at SW that have 10 gauge metal. But, you can still hack through that with a fire axe. One layer of steel is all it is. Sure looks pretty though and it's 2900 bucks.

The AMSEC is a 10 gauge outer with 14 gauge inner wall and cement fire barrier in between which adds to the strength. Plus it has a 1/2 inch thick plate door. It's $2660 plus delivery of about 200 bucks across town. It weighs 810 lbs. But, I can actually buy online and get the next size larger the AMSEC BF 6030 (940 lbs)delivered to my door for $2500. Go figure. Can't go wrong with an AMSEC But, here is the safe to buy I'm thinking...

Sturdy Safe
    Do some research, 7 gauge walls (that's 3/16) 14 gauge liner, 5/16 door and fiber insulation. Check out the sturdy safe website and google sturdy safe.

No frills, heavy duty and factory direct purchasing. They are the real deal. Here is a video of a total home burn down and the only thing left standin is the sturdy safe. Burn down I guess over the past 50 years they developed their fire retardant system by putting safes in houses that the fire dept then torched for some kind of training.

Contact them for prices. They are less than AMSEC's locally including shipping.

Do you really want one of these that they sell at Costco and such? This was done with an axe.

Here's a link to the thread: Amsec and Sturdy Safes

Oh, here's an interesting video: Gun "Safe"??

Perry I think I know why you like those Sturdy safes after clicking on the link and me thinks its not the actual quality of the safes!....grin

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    When I got mine, I thought...

"I will never fill that thing"...

Well here I am 6 years later wishing I had more room. We do not only keep fire amrs and ammo in the safe, but optics, important papers, coin collection and other odds and ends.

If you have the room and the budget, get one that is twice as big as you think you need.

For the record I have the Liberty "Lincoln" 24 gun safe. Not big enough!

Happy shopping.
    I agree. Whatever you get, get one big enough to grow into, not just big enough to hold what you have now.

Mines full now and I'm looking to get a bigger one.

there are a lot of excellent gun safes on the market but it is understood that they are a "strong deterent" to theft....not an absolute guarantee. it seems (given time) knowledgeable and equiped thieves can actually enter a bank vault (imagine that?) and so expectations of security must be reasonable.

my safe is a safe, not a cabinet as offered by some companies. it is not fireproof as (i think) that may be a waste of money. in a fire even a cheap file cabinet will protect paper from fire........but the superheated steam will enter the most fireproof safes rendering the firearms rusted, warped, and unusable. talk to a fire marshal or insurance investigator-claims adjuster. they will tell you the same.

my safe is lagged to cement, and is nearly unmoveable, the strong construction (browning) gives me confidence. insurance will do the rest.

happy trails.
    jh

How many have their safe in the middle of the floor.Against the wall and bolted down would have added at least five minuets to the break in.

Default Gun safe

All a safe is designed to do is add time and noise to a break in. If you know where to sink a hole in a safe, anyone can defeat a lock. If it is fire insulated ( nothing is fire proof) it is more than likely contsructed of sheet metal and blown in fire insulation (airated concrete).

The best thing you can do is bolt it down or brick it in. My favorite location is in a small closet, with a smoke detector mounted above the door just inside. This gives the thief a limited area to work in, and the detector will go off if dust or smoke is generated in break in (adding noise and scaring the hell out of anyone nearby).

A great safe if you can find one is a GSA Class 5 weapons safe (look govt surplus or the DRMS website)

The electronic locks are good, but remember that electronics fail, and a good old fashined mechanical lock is going to last the longest with the fewest problems.

Oh yeah. If it was easy to get your safeinto the garage.. just think how easy it would be to get it out.

Default >>>-------->

I truly like the Gunvault Safe I bought at Sportsmans Warehouse the other day for my Glock.Peace of mind as my child grows.It has super quick access plus tamper and motion alarm function for goblin protection.

Quote Originally Posted by AKGhost View Post
    All a safe is designed to do is add time and noise to a break in. If you know where to sink a hole in a safe, anyone can defeat a lock. If it is fire insulated ( nothing is fire proof) it is more than likely contsructed of sheet metal and blown in fire insulation (airated concrete).

The best thing you can do is bolt it down or brick it in. My favorite location is in a small closet, with a smoke detector mounted above the door just inside. This gives the thief a limited area to work in, and the detector will go off if dust or smoke is generated in break in (adding noise and scaring the hell out of anyone nearby).

A great safe if you can find one is a GSA Class 5 weapons safe (look govt surplus or the DRMS website)

The electronic locks are good, but remember that electronics fail, and a good old fashined mechanical lock is going to last the longest with the fewest problems.

Oh yeah. If it was easy to get your safeinto the garage.. just think how easy it would be to get it out.
    gratefully....most thieves are not good at their trade, (smash & grab)and after the initial break-in don't know what to do with a gun safe. used to be all they had to do was break some glass & help themselves. if it's too heavy to carry or move, and can't be opened easily they will go else where.

great invention and reasonably priced.

** don't forget to advise your insurance man about your safe and any other security that you have. your premiums will be cheaper!

happy trails.
    jh

Ran across to this last week while researching. Good read...

Default I could help you out with that problem... no new safe needed!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigHinER View Post
    I agree. Whatever you get, get one big enough to grow into, not just big enough to hold what you have now.

Mines full now and I'm looking to get a bigger one.
    I see a few in there that you probably need to get rid of... to me Then you wouldnt need to get a bigger safe!