Thread: problem with #9s

Default problem with #9s

I just received a dozen alaska #9 wolf traps, and have some questions... I bought them because I took a wolf trapping course thru ATA and they were highly recomended, well with this order I also got 3 Braun #9 wolf traps made in Tiwan!! The Braun traps are awesome good quality, strong just very well built! While the Alaska #9s look good they have a problem with the dog, (it looks like a little kid installed it!!) It is on upside down, according to every other leghold I have seen. The end of the dogs are not cut square, they are bent, twisted and without a lot of work maybe even a complete new dog are useless. Is this normal for these traps?? Why does ATA recommend them when trappers can buy two other wolf traps of far better quality??? The Braun, or the Sterling 800. I dont like to bash any product but with shipping I paid a little over 1500 Can. for a dozen, and for that kind of money I should be able to go trapping with them, not have to screw around working on them! I could have paid less for the other two and had a way better trap!

I paid $90 each for my #9 Mannings, only got four of them, and the dogs weren't funky or not filed square on the end where it meets the pan, all was fine and traps were fine so not sure what is up with the batch you just got. Don't have any still here at house so can't look close to what the problem might be. I've found them to be great traps, easy to set but real tough and hold no problem. Have never seen the Taiwanese-made traps, but just the fact they are made in Taiwan might discourage me from buying <grin>. Maybe ATA is trying to encourage buying more local product, not sure.

So are you saying the dogs don't align with the pan and you can't set it, it's too loose and tends to fire?? Were they put on wrong?

Default dogs

Yea the dogs are VERY loose the ends are not even close to square, and looped onto the trap backwards from any foothold Ive ever seen?? I agree in regards to the tiwan traps (i didnt know where they were made when i ordered them!) I know a guy in BC designed them, like everything else now they go for the cheap labour! PS with the #9s I have if you wiggle them even just a touch they fire! Dont know how a guy could ever make a set, plus real easy to catch a hand!

I have a half dozen or so #9 and I really like them. They come up thought the snow a lot better then the MB 750ies that I have. They all where great traps right from the get go. I picked them up from the guy that makes them here in Fairbanks. I have never used any sterlings or the brawns, but I was not impressed with the "padded jaw". I thought that it would freeze and become hard and break anyways. If you need the number to give Al a call I can get it for you and you can call him and ask him what is up with the dogs on the trap.

Supporting Member

Default #9's

Whatever the problem is with your #9's, I'm sure Al will make it right. Give him a call before you give up on a great trap. I don't think you'll be sorry!

Default number

yes i would love to call the maker and ask. I bought them from a supply house here in canada. if you can give me the number that would be great thanks. I have used padded jaws for years and never had one break, but i do agree that the #9s will come up thru more snow thats why i ordered them. thanks again!

Default #9 maker

Yukon,

Here is the phone # for Al Barette. He is the owner of the company. (907) 452-6047

I have used the #9's for about 20 years. Awesome trap. I have some issues with the dogs, but not like you are talking about. I had some broken parts on one and went to Al and he replaced them, so was very good to work with.