Thread: Nikon Rifle Scopes

Default Nikon Rifle Scopes

Does anyone have any comments on Nikon Rifle scopes, good or bad? Any suuggestions?

I have a Nikon Team Primos 3-9x40 scope which sells for about 200-250 w/ BDC reticle. 3.5" eye relief.

The Team Primos is the old Monarch line.

I like it so far, I have it on a Remington 700 Cal. 300 Win Mag.

I have the monarch 6x24x50 and love it. Its hands down the best scope I have ever owned. I was between this and the Leopold VXIII but I liked the optics better in the Nikon.

How do you like the light gathering abilities of the Nikon compared to the Leopold? How well does the Nikon perform under magnification?

Default go with leupold

Just installed a Nikon 3 to 9 on my new pro hunter in 243, took it to the trapline, second day there shot 2 otters in the head at 230 yards. 4 weeks later a lot of that time spent on a snowmachine at -45 it wouldnt stay on paper! As far as im concerned Leupold cant be beat!

I have had a few Nikon's and no problems, but I really prefer the Leupold or the real sleeper for optics at a good price is the Fujinon. Check them out as well.

What do you like best about the Leupold

Default leupold

AKshawn in over 30 years guiding i have never seen one fail not ever! All other brands including the best European ones I have but not Leupold. Other guides I know have seen Leupold fail, but rarely. In all the years ive been in the feild that says somthing about thier quality!!

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    Just installed a Nikon 3 to 9 on my new pro hunter in 243, took it to the trapline, second day there shot 2 otters in the head at 230 yards. 4 weeks later a lot of that time spent on a snowmachine at -45 it wouldnt stay on paper! As far as im concerned Leupold cant be beat!
    Are you sure it was the scope?

AKshawn in over 30 years guiding i have never seen one fail not ever! All other brands including the best European ones I have but not Leupold. Other guides I know have seen Leupold fail, but rarely. In all the years ive been in the feild that says somthing about thier quality!!
    Leupold is probably a better scope than a Nikon, but there's a price difference also. If you want a real failsafe scope then go with a Nightforce, but they are spendy. They will also last a life time - you could shoot out a lot of barrels with a Nightforce.

For the money, a Monarch is a good scope. Bushnell 4200's are also worth looking at.

Most of the time a wandering zero is not the mount not the scope, I have had many scopes do that and I was almost redy to just stick with iron. A guy I knew from collage (Yavapai Collage in Arizona) was in the gunsmithing program and he showed me how to lap the rings in. Have not had one wander around after learning that trick.

Andy

Dont forget to look at Burris! they make a great scope! Mine are tough as nails and never change impact point. I love mine!

I have had a few Nikon along with other brands. They were well built, good repeatable adjustments, great optics, very bright. The things I didnt like were the heft or weight, and lack of eye relief. This is where leupold excells, though there optics may not be as bright.

i love my nikon prostaff, really clear optics and durable as alll get out. mine has fallen in the scope into the snow and ground a couple times and always holds zero and never fogs. i feel best scope for the buck IMO

Default Nike vs Leupold

Quote Originally Posted by TomM View Post
    I have had a few Nikon along with other brands. They were well built, good repeatable adjustments, great optics, very bright. The things I didnt like were the heft or weight, and lack of eye relief. This is where leupold excells, though there optics may not be as bright.
    So you are saying Nikon has brighter optics than Leupold?

I've had a few Nikons, and still own one. I had one fog on me (2-7x Monarch), but Nikon treated me well and replaced it.

I prefer Leupold, though, due to their generous and forgiving eye relief.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by AKShawn View Post
    So you are saying Nikon has brighter optics than Leupold?
    To my eyes....yes. Dollar for dollar, ie Buckmaster to VX1, etc. Yes the Nikon's appear brighter. That why my binos are Nikon and not golden ring Leupolds. However, I believe bright optics in a riflescope are overated. You find game with the binos, spotter, etc not the riflescope. Most important assets in a riflescope to me are, duarbility, eyerelief, weight, reticle, then optic clarity. I cant ever recall not being able to shoot an animal that I had found in binos, because the optical clarity of my scope wasnt good enough. I have seen rifles go out of commission in the field when the scope broke, magnum eyebrows, etc. So an end to my rant would be, buy a VX-I or II use the rest of your $$$ for good binos.

Quote Originally Posted by TomM View Post
    To my eyes....yes. Dollar for dollar, ie Buckmaster to VX1, etc. Yes the Nikon's appear brighter. That why my binos are Nikon and not golden ring Leupolds. However, I believe bright optics in a riflescope are overated. You find game with the binos, spotter, etc not the riflescope. Most important assets in a riflescope to me are, duarbility, eyerelief, weight, reticle, then optic clarity. I cant ever recall not being able to shoot an animal that I had found in binos, because the optical clarity of my scope wasnt good enough. I have seen rifles go out of commission in the field when the scope broke, magnum eyebrows, etc. So an end to my rant would be, buy a VX-I or II use the rest of your $$$ for good binos.
    Very good summary; I think my mind is made on Leupold for my new rifle scope. Thanks for the help!

Shawn

I cannot wait until I buy my own Nikon scope, bought one for my son's .22-250 a year and a half ago and love it. Bought myself a pair of Monarch ATB's though this summer and like them alot.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

I've got both VXII's and Nikon Monark scopes and find both excellent. Also a pair of 10x42 ATB's. I don't think you can go wrong with either and they both have options that may make one over the other better for you. I'd stay away from Burris thou, I had one go bad last spring and the company treated me bad.