Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep hunt tent and sleeping bag

Default Sheep hunt tent and sleeping bag

I have been looking at buying a Big Agnes seedhouse SL2 tent for next years sheep hunt. Does anyone have this tent or experince with it? I want something light but dont want to be soaking wet at night if it rains. Also, anyone have any suggestions on a sleeping bag? I have been thinking of a TNF Snowshoe. Also saw a good eal on a Slumberjack Odyssey +10 bag. Anyone have any experince with them?

Thanks!

AKShawn

Are you looking at the SL2 as a solo tent using as a two man tent??
    The Seedhouse SL2 is perfect for my wife and I packraft/hiking when we setup and take down camp everyday and the tent is just a place to crash at the end of each day. Then pack up first thing in the morning. Its a great fully enclosed tent and a very light weight and size, perfect for that application and I'll be using it for many years to come. I've never gotten wet in it and have used in the pouring rain on a couple occasions. It holds up surprisingly well to the wind also even though it is considered a 3 season tent.

The Seedhouse SL2 is enough room for my wife, but isn't designed for two guys to wait out a storm for several days. The vestibule also isn't all that big on the Seedhouse SL2. All that said I love the tent for my intended uses, but I believe if you are looking at using this tent as a two man sheephunting tent you may end up feeling a little TOO COZY by the end of a 3 day storm. If that is the case I think there are better options for 2 man sheep hunting tents than the SL2, but giving us a price range would be helpful as you'll find with most gear heads, we love to spend other people's money for them.

It would actually be a 2 person tent for my wife and I. We are both not real big at 5'5" each. Money isnt really my first concern, although I really would like to keep it under $300. Quality and light weight are my 2 big concerns.

Can't speak for the tent, but I have a Slumberjack "Ultimate" 20* bag. The bag is of good quality for the price, I love the cut of the bag, it packs small & is light at 3# with compression sack. BUT, I start getting chilly in it wearing light weight poly at around 35*. I can't imagine sleeping comfortably in it at the rated temp without a lot of clothing on. The Odyssey may be different but I wouldn't bet on it.

Here are some NF "Cat's Meow" bags that I always hear good things about, sub 3# & rated @ 20* on sale for $120.
    http://www.hiltonstentcity.com/libra...s-bargain.html

Never used the BA tent but have heard good things about them.
    I went with the Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight 2 .
    http://www.hiltonstentcity.com/libra...ight-2-08.html
    Supposed to be just under 4#, & a little tight but doable for 2 big guys. I'm solo most of the time so it's a good compromise for me. Price is right, I've seen them new for a little over $130. Don't have mine in hand yet but I'm looking forward to trying it this year. Most of the reviews look really good.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

For a guy your size the Cats Meow bag may just be the perfect fit! It is hard to beat for a synthetic bag when it comes to quality, weight, and packed size! For us bigger boys it can be more than a little tight!

Do you think a 20 degree bag is warm enough to sheep hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by AKShawn View Post
    Do you think a 20 degree bag is warm enough to sheep hunt?
    I know a lot of the guys on here swear by that bag for sheep hunts...
    I know my 20* Slumberjack isn't warm enough, but that's not apples to apples.
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    I know a lot of the guys on here swear by that bag for sheep hunts...
    I know my 20* Slumberjack isn't warm enough, but that's not apples to apples.
    My cousin has the same slumberjack and he is cold when I am comfortable in the cats meow. The difference is apparent within 30 seconds of unpacking the 2 bags side by side. The Cats Meow bag lofts much faster and higher than the Slumberjack ever does.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    My cousin has the same slumberjack and he is cold when I am comfortable in the cats meow. The difference is apparent within 30 seconds of unpacking the 2 bags side by side. The Cats Meow bag lofts much faster and higher than the Slumberjack ever does.
    Thanks LuJon, that's good to know.
    The Slumberjack is "loftless", but they claim that the warmth lies in the material & not the loft in this case. Doesn't work for me.
    I have an older 0 deg Slumberjack that is a toasty bag & probably close on the twmp rating, & lots of loft but she's a bulky heavy beast.
    Vance in AK.

It would actually be a 2 person tent for my wife and I. We are both not real big at 5'5" each. Money isnt really my first concern, although I really would like to keep it under $300. Quality and light weight are my 2 big concerns.
    I have a Mountain Hardware 2 man (no fly) with doors on both sides, a vestibule on one side and would sleep 2 medium size people fine. It wieghs just over 5 bs with stuff sack poles and stakes. I weathered a thunderstorm with 50 mph winds in it above timberline at about 10,000 ft.

I also have a couple of Iron Mountain Gear sleeping bags that I'm guessing are in the 3-4 lb range (poly fill). They were one season rentals from a local outdoors store and I got them for a steel. Not sure what they are rated at but I've slept comfortable in them to lower 20's with cotton T-shirt and shorts. I think I would be comfortable in them to close to 0 with merrino wool thermals. I'm 5' 7", 160 lb and they fit me very well, much larger would be snug.

Well if thats the case shawn the SL2 may fit the bill if its for you and your wife. Just as long as she doesn't try to send you to the dog house that night for just trying to make to that next ridge before setting up camp.

Here are a couple pics I took of the SL2 in action this spring to give you a better idea of what it looks like and how big it really is:

Last edited by Alaska_Lanche; 12-27-2008 at 23:35. Reason: My poor spelling

Do you have it sitting on the ground or on the footprint? Big Anges claims on thier site it is pretty light, is that true or exagerated?

Shawn,

In the pics I am not using the footprint. Although I do have it. I'll throw the whole thing footprint, gear loft and stuff sacks included on my digital scale and see what it comes out to.

Default Tent weight

Well with everything inside the stuff sack: tent, fly, poles, stakes, footprint, gear loft and other stuff sacks it came out to 61 oz or 3 pounds 13 oz, which is actually once 1 oz lighter than the packed weight listed on their sight of 3 pound 6 oz and 8 oz for the footprint. So I'd have to say its pretty accurate.

Of course if you go in fast fly mode then you are down to 2 pounds 14 oz, but thats why I have a GoLite Shangrila 2 that only ways 1 pound 9 ounces with more space and same amount of protection from the elements. Anyways, hope this info helps.

Ran across a good deal on a lightweight tent that I thought I would pass on in case anyone is interested. It is an MSR Fling. Below is some info. It is on sale for $140 at REI. That is about half price for this model.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/764693

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default I have a TNF Snowshoe Bag

It is a decent bag rated to 0 degrees F. Also, have a TNF Cats Meow 20F. I prefer the Snowshoe - a little heavier, but IMO, worth it because it is warmer. No experience with that particular tent, but I do have a Black Diamond First Light that is very lightweight and fairly durable. Prefer my Bibler I tent but it is also heavier. These are what I carry hunting for spike camps. In fact, a couple of years back, two of us got weathered on Mount Foraker for 72 hours in that BD First Light and it held up pretty well to 36" fresh snow and some brutal winds. The Bibler, I know from previous experience would have faired much better) the BD wouldn't be my first pick, but, this is what we were carrying on a final push. I believe you should prepare for the worst Mother Nature can show you.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Default Big Agnes

I used a SL1 on a hunt a few years back. I liked it except for the front entrance (maybe because I'm 6'2") and the small vestibule. It worked great in the rain and I had zero condensation with all that mesh. It was light, within 1 ounce of advertised, and packed down nicely. I didn't like having to crawl over the top of my gear to get out either. I went back to my old MSR Zoid 1.5 with twin entrances and vestibules and extra weight. If the entrance and vestibule wouldn't be a big deal to you this is an excellent sheep hunting tent IMO.
    For a sleeping bag I've been using a Marmot Helium +15 bag. I've been plenty warm and dry and love the small package and 2lbs carry weight. I know some would never use a down bag in Alaska but thats all I use. I take extra care to keep it dry.
    Heres a pic of my SL1 in action. I'm already dreaming of next years sheep hunt!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great picture of the two rams and the tent. Thanks for the info all.

Ah Finley, ya just had to go and get us all excited and worked up now didn't ya... Here we sit waiting for Feb to come around to see if we drew and spending our time talking about sheep hunting gear and POW... a pic of two nice rams. That must have been one great hunt. Congrats.

Love the pic!!!
    Vance in AK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast