Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hunting knives

Default hunting knives

I need some info on a couple different knives, I had a hunter this year from Seattle (he was a taxidermist) anyway he gave me 3 little serrated knives made by victorinox they are like kitchen pareing knives and they work like nothing Ive ever used, he said they were cheap 2 or 3 bucks each and that fishermen in AK use them a lot. The other one is also serrated it was a cutco hunting knife, does anyone know of someplace in Southeast AK to get these?? and how good is the cutco?? how do you sharpen them?

Alaska Sportshop in Haines used to sell them. They come in a bucket for sale on the counter and yes they last forever.

I'm pretty sure that you can buy the Cutco knives on their website: http://www.cutco.com/products/produc...itemGroup=5718

As far as sharpening goes, if you buy the Double-D Edge, you have to ship it back to them to get sharpened (well at least that is the way it was explained to me). I have on and absolutely love it. And another good thing about the Cutco is that it has a lifetime warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    I need some info on a couple different knives, I had a hunter this year from Seattle (he was a taxidermist) anyway he gave me 3 little serrated knives made by victorinox they are like kitchen pareing knives and they work like nothing Ive ever used, he said they were cheap 2 or 3 bucks each and that fishermen in AK use them a lot. The other one is also serrated it was a cutco hunting knife, does anyone know of someplace in Southeast AK to get these?? and how good is the cutco?? how do you sharpen them?
    Those cheap serrated knives are sold in most marine supply stores along the coast and in many sporting good stores in the same region. I'm pretty sure I've seen them in web sites. Cabelas? Bass Pro? Not sure, but should be easy to find. Haven't tried it on the Cutco's, but with the cheap ones you can sharpen them after a fashion. Lay the flat side absolutely flat on a fine stone and polish it. I've got a tapered round stone that I then use on the serrations. Good as new.

Default SE ak purchasing locations

To answer your question directly......

Look for a Murray Pacific store in SE AK. I know they are located in Ketchikan and Sitka.

I've used those knives metioned. I purchased 8 for my home steak knife.

Personally I prefer a 3" bladed Kershaw. Its not a fancy expensive knife. I paid like $12 for it at Murray Pacific. Its a fixed blade with a black handle, sharpens easy, keeps an edge and has a stout blade for working in and around bones. I'd be guessing at this point but I've had it for a few years and have easily skinned and field dressed a dozen critters with it.
    Its light and durable. I only mention it because it's along the same lines as the knives your interested in and you'll likely find it at Murrays.

Like this one?

I have been using these for years. They work great! I have not tried sharpening the serrated blades, but the standard blade sharpens easily. Cheap and very functional. B&J Commercial sells them in Anchorage if anyone is interested.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default thanks

spoiled one that is it exactly ! Thanks I will get some

Default Parring knife

I did some more searching and indeed the Kershaw knife I was suggesting is a parring knife as well. I really like the functionality of a small 3" blade. There are some other really high end kitchen knife makers that build beautiful parring knifes if a person really wants a nice one. I think the marketing and technology on a global scale is more focused on kitchen use rather than hunters. Some of the Japanese knifes are amazing.

Those are great little knives. I also have a skinner made by Vitctorinox (Forschner, same company I believe). Sharp as glass, hard steel, but the thin blade requires a sharpening angle of perhaps a 17-degree angle. I use a diamond hone similar to the ones used by Lansky Sharpeners.

The "Hunter" serrated-blade made by Cutco must be shipped to the company for sharpening, but you can send two (maybe three?) of these knives along a $5.00 check or money order, and they pay for the shipment back to you. I sent two in, and got them back a week later. I usually send them in for sharpening during the winter months when I don't use these knives.

The store I mentioned above, showing the skinner I mentioned. Also, if you search "Victorinox" at the home page under "Namebrands," you will see the little knives mentioned above by others:
    http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/eC...and&SKU=F40639

Yep thats the one we sold at the sports shop in Haines.Bought four when I left in 95 and still use them every day and they will be back in Alaska on the 8th.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I think that would be a great knife for peeling potatos.

I should know too, because I'm a good potato peeler.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default victornox

We have been using the serrated knifes on moose and buffalo for years. 1 moose, 1 knife. At $4 a knife we don't even worry about sharpening them. I just take my used home for the kitchen. Most marine stores have them, and so does A.I.H. now.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    and how good is the cutco??
    I dont impress easily by knives and have owned lots of knives over the years. I bought one of the Orange handled Cutco Double-D hunting knives last winter and that son of a gun has impressed me like no other knife I have ever owned. Cut up 1 bear, 2 moose, and a caribou with it this year with no resharpening and its still super sharp. Never have I butchered even one entire moose without having to resharpen an edge or just switch to another knife. I liked it so much I bought my Father in Law one for X-Mas and Cutco even engraved it for him. He thought it was the coolest gift ever, and he thinks highly of us Alaskan hunters so he figures it must work!

Old Hickory Paring knifes are Da Bomb!

I can get through 3 Caribou , skinned and cut up, put inna sled, and then have to sharpen one.

10$ knifes at that.

heres a knife some might be intrested in..
    i have a couple of these, very stout and light weight.great for capeing..
    scary sharp!!! and hold there edge very well, i can usally get through an elk with one blade.

http://www.havalon.com/index.html

I bought 3 in Wrangell at Angermann's (I think)... it was one of the hardware stores. There is a little knife section (not under glass, just on the shelf) and they come in a little plastic sleeve.

BTW, havalon's are AWESOME. Me and two buddies took them to SE bear/wolf hunting and skinned two bears and a wolf. They are great.

KRS

Had some of these over the years for cutting herring cut plugs, somehow they ended up in the kitchen paring knife drawer. Hardly ever put a stone to them in 10 years.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Quote Originally Posted by ACNDHO View Post
    Had some of these over the years for cutting herring cut plugs, somehow they ended up in the kitchen paring knife drawer. Hardly ever put a stone to them in 10 years.

Sending you a PM.

Default Cut Fingers

Yep, I have gone to the Havalon knives (largely because I hate to sharpen knives) and even bought some for my son & step-son.

Just be careful the first couple of times you use them. They are "scary sharp". Besides, sometimes it's tough to see the difference between your blood and the blood of the animal you are working on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast