Thread: visions of rivers past

Default visions of rivers past

I love this Alaska Rafting forum..
    One thing that I enjoy the most is hearing peoples story about the different Rivers that they floated..
    Maybe its just me,,
    but when someone on here mentions a river they just floated or are considering a river ,, such and such name,,
    and its one of those rivers that I have already been blessed to float,,
    I get this instant image in my mind of that river,,, for a few moments I can see, smell and hear that river trip... I will get like these little snap shot videos in my head of that place..
    someone mentioned the John River just a moment ago,, and I had a vision of us sitting inside the tent playing cards, as it rained outside.... then in an istant I visioned a scene where a momma brown bear stood up in the river as we floated by, with her little cubs near her. almost not enough room for us to pass, and yet we somehow did... . It was just that clear,,,, lots of little cool events.. taking game, or catching a certain fish...that trip was maybe 20 yrs ago,, buthe memory of it is like yesterday..
    It does my heart good to hear about your experiences on those rivers,, and the ones I have not been able to get to yet,,,
    maybe sounds goofy to some of you..
    but those visions do my heart good..
    made me think about some of you might share some special moments with us here from one of your floats..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default Go to bed..

You allright there Max? Never seemed like the sentimental type. Must be the season.

Lets see, Delores River, colorado - Rescued a kayak from an undercut rock in little snag rapid, kayaker was able to get out. Had to side surf a hole to eddy out behind the rock, let him get out of the yak (I was in an air tomcat II) on the rock and get a line from shore tied to his boat. Invented the Delor-Gasm, which I believe to be captain morgan, tequila, beer, and lime. Lots of playing in the water, way too much liquor, lots of broken and bent oars and frame parts, no injuries. You would be amazed at the type of water two boats lashed together can run, we got through some pretty skinny spots, and hung up on a few rocks as well.

That's the one that comes to mind at this point.

Chris

Default Delores River

Hey Chris,,,
    love you man!!!
    So The Delores huh?
    I was just over the Hill at Moab when this trip of yours went down..
    I think I could hear you guys yelling..
    We were floating down the Colorado in a big ol party barge that day..
    trying to soak in the beauty,,,
    but NO..
    Chris is like,,, trying to destroy his plastic pool toys..
    ruined that trip for me ... you did,,,,

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

great thread.
    a buddy and i solo-boated the Talkeetna canyon this past summer and i am still, cosmically feeding off of that trip.
    gosh, what a rush. i was arguably, under-skilled to make this run but i had spent 2 years psyching myself up and then down for this trip, doing hours of research and annoying the hell out of friends and folks i had never met(this forum). in the days leading to the trip it rained hard for a week or more and i had serious cold feet. i was a ball of nerves and fear. by the time it was fly out day, i had this crazy-"if you don't go, you won't forgive yourself. man up". it really was a boating, coming of age for me. i had been thru bigger water but the conditions on this trip were much different for all sorts of reasons. high water, isolation, canyon setting, big holes, no rescue boat. the funniest thing, i don't remember much. i was so keyed up for the canyon that i hardly remember prairie creek, the talkeetna and the other tribs. you can see the intensity on my face in many of the pre-canyon pics. what a rush. in hindsight, i wish i would have stopped to smell the roses a bit more. that is definitely a lesson learned. the whole trip turned into a bootcamp type feel because of the intensity of the looming canyon and all that i had heard about its attributes. it is trips like this that get a guy thru a long, cold winter. i'm hitting the talachulitna for my 2009 fly out and plan to do a bunch of one and two night packrafting adventures as well. i can't wait to get back out there and apply what i have learned over the years to make these trip as memorable as past trips. btw, i really enjoy this forum. it is my new cpu crack and great winter threads like this are a big reason. hug the corners, attack the water, be safe and stop to smell the roses. take care, abel6wt

Default yep

great thread.
    a buddy and i solo-boated the Talkeetna canyon this past summer and i am still, cosmically feeding off of that trip.
    gosh, what a rush. i was arguably, under-skilled to make this run but i had spent 2 years psyching myself up and then down for this trip, doing hours of research and annoying the hell out of friends and folks i had never met(this forum). in the days leading to the trip it rained hard for a week or more and i had serious cold feet. i was a ball of nerves and fear. by the time it was fly out day, i had this crazy-"if you don't go, you won't forgive yourself. man up". it really was a boating, coming of age for me. i had been thru bigger water but the conditions on this trip were much different for all sorts of reasons. high water, isolation, canyon setting, big holes, no rescue boat. the funniest thing, i don't remember much. i was so keyed up for the canyon that i hardly remember prairie creek, the talkeetna and the other tribs. you can see the intensity on my face in many of the pre-canyon pics. what a rush. in hindsight, i wish i would have stopped to smell the roses a bit more. that is definitely a lesson learned. the whole trip turned into a bootcamp type feel because of the intensity of the looming canyon and all that i had heard about its attributes. it is trips like this that get a guy thru a long, cold winter. i'm hitting the talachulitna for my 2009 fly out and plan to do a bunch of one and two night packrafting adventures as well. i can't wait to get back out there and apply what i have learned over the years to make these trip as memorable as past trips. btw, i really enjoy this forum. it is my new cpu crack and great winter threads like this are a big reason. hug the corners, attack the water, be safe and stop to smell the roses. take care, abel6wt
    Like the night before your very first deer hunt opener..
    The excitment is amazing..
    and every thing you suggested is a Ditto..
    Max

Default Grass River

Till Death due us Part.

Was the night prior to the opening of Small Mouth Season in up state New York and public TV station was stiring about dreams of 4-5 lbs small mouth bass on the Grass River in Up State New York. The Video showed nice pockets of rocky water with Lilac trees next the river. We had just had a light summer rain so you know the air would have a wonderful smell and the river would be just right for fishing. So we load up our canoes and head to the river for 8 hours of sheer enjoyment!!!! No need to check the topo we had seen the river on TV~!~!

Needless to say the river was wonderful first Trout and nice trout rainbows up to 16 inches and they were eager to please with a couple of small mouths to boot could not have asked for anything better. When we started to get away from the road system the fishing turned to bass only which was fine that is what we went for but they were only 10-12 inches but enough to keep us busy. As the miles past us by my fishing bud noticed that we have not seen the Lilacs as on TV and of course I sad must be more towards the end of the trip.

About 4 hours in we came across a boulder garden with a 5ft water fall at the end. Again my buddy stated I don't remember that in the program and of course I stated and I quote!!!! They more than likely cut the footage out becuase the fishing was not good there. So off we go down the Grass River for another hour with the soft smell of a summers night rain with fresh budding painted indian flowers but no Lilacs still nice but not Lilacs. The small mouth fishing was picking up so all was good in the world and of course my fishing bud says hey have you notice all the pocket water we have been running into and of rouce I state YES this is a hoot! Great Fishing! Faster Water and a great Summers Day! So he says I don't rememeber anything on the TV that showed boulders and 5 MPH current and of course I said and I qoute more than likley did not make for a good filming so they just did not film here.

SO! About 20 minutes later my buddy says HEY you hear that! I said WHAT! He said THERE IS a Loud ROAR! OH I could not hear you over the loud roar! SHOULD WE GET TO THE BANK! YES!!!!!!!!!!! After barely getting to the I SWEAR 100ft sraight up Sand bank OBTW which sucked climbing we go to the top of the bluff only to find we were about to go over a 50ft water fall onto rocks! My fishing buddy looked at me and again I swear and quote it is a good thing we ain't married and of course I had to say why's that and of course he says becuase if we were that saying about death till we part would be over and done.

I would not trade that trip for anything and my fishing buddy still reminds me every year how I tried to kill him on the Grass River for some stupid fish. The Trip is now officially known as a Wild Moose Chase! Oh and BTW never rely on theTV for directions! Alwasy consult the road MAP and a good TOPO Map!

Max thanks for starting the post sorry for rambling.

Moose

Default You were on the moab daily???

In late may of last year (24-jun 1)??? Nice. We had permits for every flooded river the area, but the D was calling us. We had a choice of middle fork, selway, cataract, and the Delores. Middle fork was at 8ft and snowed in, the selway was flooded as well, and cataract was at 80K, making all three of the big trips survivalist runs, so we decided to run delores instead, which I'm glad we did, since it flows only about every five years. Hope to see you at the AOD float this year, should be fun.

Chris