Thread: John River

Default John River

anyone have any experience or first hand knowledge about the John river up in the interior?? thanks

Greg

No first hand info, but beggers can't be choosers

Seriously, I have considered the John myself. Heard the scenery was nice and that it was a nice float. But I like to fish and heard the John fished poorly. A lake up there is a common put in and many people hike for a few days at the start, then return to the river to do the float. Keeping gear in an electric fence would be a good idea as black and brown bears are up that way. I have read reports of rafts/gear being damaged.

Not to distract you here, but have you considered the nearby Alatna River? It is a very scenic river and it runs by the Arrigetch Peaks (6k+ foot granite spires). I have a trip planned there but it may be next year before I go. Got a float trip planned for this June in ANWR and not sure I can afford them both. I will be going in the end of August and first of Sept. Bugs are bad in July and in late August the colors will be nice to my camera. Bush operations stop flying up there Sept 20, so late August and early Sept would be the ideal time to go in my opinion. From Circle Lake (near the Arrigetch Peaks) you would be dropped off and could take the 3-5 day hike up into the peaks, return to the river, float 85 miles down to Helpmejack Creek for the pick up. Scenery should be excellent. Shoot me an email if you want more insights. Below is an image of the Alatna River and Arrigetch Peaks. Food for thought.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default wow

Thx Dan, that is a great reply... we have been looking at the Alatna as well..... we are looking for a nice float, some non trophy moose hunting, a little fishing would be excellent as well... we are looking at the whole system, Wild River, John River and Alatna.....

G