Thread: Barnes Solids

Default Barnes Solids

I have a M77 in 243, and was going to look for 90 gr Barnes solids and load them a little slower than normal. I heard that the solids do very little fur damage, but I don't have any personal experience with them to know. Anyone used them, and what kind of results? Ever see them anywhere?

Anyone have an opinion at all, or a recommendation for a minimal damage bullet.

Not to sure how they do on the little critters but made minimal holes on the moose I shot this year. I shoot 180 gr TSX's out of my 300 WSM. I recovered one of the bullets and it mushroomed perfectly. I weighed it and with two of the "ears" missing it was 158. Tough bullets and great shooting. Good luck!

any solid should do but on bigger critters wolf maybe coyote you may have to track them but I'm sure they will work should be the same size hole going in and coming out.

TrapperDude,
    In Rick Kinmon's book "Hunting the Hunters", his preference of caliber was the 6PPC followed by the 243 shooting FMJ's. I have no idea what type of load he had worked up for it, but he liked the velocity of the 6PPC to be around 2900fps or somewhere in that neighborhood. I just picked up a 243 and want to start reloading for it too, to have an "all in one" type of fur gun. I have not reloaded before but have most of the things to get going. If you come up with a good load, let me know as I'm brand new to it.

If you are new to reloading be very careful how low you go on your powder charges. Anything below recommended could cause the bullet to get stuck in the barrel. There is a whole butt load of info out there for reduced loads but I would make sure you get it from a reliable source. The 6PPC is huge in the benchrest world. Very accurate and consistant round. I dont own a .243 (YET!) so I dont have any info on that round for ya! Good luck guys!

Default Good Advice

Thanks F-16, I'll be certain to stick with the manual for the time being and find a "standard" or book load that will work for me. Maybe one day down the road when I'm comfortable enough with the reloading, I'll tinker a bit, but not until I know what I'm doing. Thanks again.

Thanks for the input, I have reloaded tons, and absolutely only go with recommended loads from a reliable source. I was referring by loading down, to an acceptable load in my speer reloading manual. I found the loads in this book to be very consisantly accurate, and have never had any pressure issues with any handgun or pistol loads. The hardest part to learning to reload is to be parient and actually read the first 200 pages of warnings and safety info, but it's worth the time. Again thanks for the input all of you.

Mike

P.S. I bought the parts to start my e-caller today..

Default 243

Snowcamoman,

While growing up in southern Minnesota, hunting red fox, Dad and I shot several with solids (243). Shortly after, we switched to .17rem's. I had two, that I recall, slip into a culvert after shooting them with solids. They were close to the culvert at the time I zipped them, but they did not go down hard. It was likely just "placement" but nontheless, they got away. I would not hesitate to shoot solids for yote or wolf, but I would make sure to shoot until down for good! Then with that thought, why not use something other than a solid so there is only one hole vs. many?

Default Barnes solids

I use .22 6mm .25 caliber barnes solids and have used them for quite a few years now. I pick my shots and have taken ermine to wolves with only one fox receiving any damage. That was because she was hit in the neck at 10 yards and the neck bone shattered and made a large hole, other than that they all have been the same in and out size holes. I also use the other bullets in their product line with tremendous performance, as well as loading for a couple of friends who swear by barnes as well. just my .02 on barnes. LOVE EM