Thread: Cold Cold, but still plenty of birds!!

Default Cold Cold, but still plenty of birds!!

Well we're pretty well locked up here with the cold, snow, and ice. Duck season ended on the 16th so I'll have to wait till next year before shooting any more birds. I should be back down in the South East by then so it'll be hit or miss for me like the rest of ya'll. I went for a drive today and there are still plenty of birds around even with all the ice. Mallards make up the majority of what's here, but there are still pintails, widgeon, divers, and even some green winged teal holding in there with the winter weather in full effect. Here's a few pics of today.

First a few swans from the edge of Lake Eyak. They're keeping a small area of the lake from icing over completely.

Next are a few pics from Hartney Bay. This is where Squatty hunted by himself the day I had to work. It's just off the road way and a boat isn't really needed for access. Heck, for that matter neither are decoys!!

Here's a closer shot of the flock of birds holding in Hartney Bay. They're all mallards here with a few buffle heads and barrows golden eye using the open water.

These next ones are taken in the slough right here in town. You can't hunt this spot b/c of the houses that surround it, but it gets packed with birds! They actually sit right up near the boat houses. You'd swear they were tame, but these birds migrate out in the summer for parts up North.

Default Nice

awesome pics cant wait to get out of iraq around duck season again. i keep seein ducks over here most look like coots but there are others that i havent got a good look at

Matt once again great pics I also want to thanks you again for all the help you give me when I was planning my trip looks like will being going again next year. Chris

Where abouts in SE do you think your coming?