Thread: Transporting antlers

Question Transporting antlers

My partner is taking a set of moose antlers back to Georgia with him, does anyone know what the requirements are for him to put them on the plane that he is flying on? Thanks in advance.

Default Antler transport

Tips must be covered so as not to puncture other baggage..i.e. shotgun shell hulls duct taped on each point or small lengths of garden hose or other paddding duct taped over each point....skull must be cleaned, and wrapped so that no liquid/blood can leak onto other baggage...a burlap bag taped around skull plate works good.
    It will probably go as oversized baggage...extra charge.

Caribou antlers that have been split on the skull plate can be nested together to make a smaller package...but tips must be covered.

Cardboard works on the tips as well.

Default Check with the carrier

Have him contact the airline! Each one has different requirements, and some will not allow them as baggage or charge high fees for transport. The days of garden hose and shotgun shells have all but passed. I don't know of any carriers allowing transport like that anymore. Alternatively you could check with Knight's taxidermy or with Alpha Fur Dressers in Anchorage; I believe both companies would expedite them as cargo for your friend, perhaps at a better rate than he could get on his own.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    My partner is taking a set of moose antlers back to Georgia with him, does anyone know what the requirements are for him to put them on the plane that he is flying on? Thanks in advance.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default just my thoughts

Mr. Strahan is correct,
    Imagine coming out of the bush with your trophy, dropped off at the airport with gear and the rack, I had called in advance and asked what needed to be done, alaska airlines stated that I needed to have all of the tips covered, no blood, just like the first guy stated, so we did that. The person at the counter looked at me like I was crazy, They said no way. They told me that I had to go to a store and get a box, but I was on foot and it was a holiday, so I looked at the lady and asked if they had a box, guess what i paid for that box, $50, and then they charged me for oversized baggage, another $85, and of course my ticket home to anchorage, next time I will rent a vehicle. If your friend has killed a trophy, I would recommend you do as Mr. Strahan suggests, he may pay a bit, but he will have peace of mind.

Thanks guys, he can't seem to get a straight answer so he is going to the Packaging store and have them ship it for him back to Georgia.

Default antler shipping

I just came back a couple of weeks ago with caribou antlers that were wrapped in my extra clothes, covered with trash bags, and taped like crazy to hold everyting together. Wrapping them in my extra clothes helped protect things, but it also reduced my weight on the rest of my checked bags, which allowed me to carry more meat. Northwest Airlines charges $80 for checking in antlers (tips covered, no velvet). They travel on standby, so they may not arrive with the rest of your baggage, but mine made it back to Michigan on a full plane with my meat, guns, and myself. I checked with Alpha Fur Dressers before leaving, and they said it would be cheaper to take them on the plane. (P.S. The guys at Alpha are great to deal with!)

Problem is Alaska Airlines doesn't fly into Georgia.

Default Just did it!

Guys, I just went through that headache. AK Airlines would not allow us to check our moose antlers so we went to the UPS Store. I had a European mount all ready to ship and UPS wanted $900 to ship it due to "cubic" space so out came the wyoming saw and it still costs me $176 plus $60 for handling. Just another added costs for a successful hunt. I do believe they might except a large duffle bag with antlers in it but I didn't try it. Backstraps were frozen and checked with bags and 300lbs of hind quarters went to Indian Valley meats for processing. Good Luck

Default Returnbed Last Week

I just returned last week from my first AK moose hunt. Had a great time. Was fortunate to place my tag on a decent bull. The hide is being tanned at Alpha and the rack will be shipped with the hisde when its finished. Since my bull wasn't a book bull, I had alpha split the rack. It allowed the rack to fit into the larges UPS box that didn't require freight charges. Ended up costing me about $140 for shipping the rack and the hide. The hide alone would have been $50. If Knights would have shipped it, they would have builts a crate ($$), plus and expiditing fee ($), plus freight ($$$). I think the numbers came out to be almost $750. Saved enough to cover a good chuck of my taxidermy bill. The people at Alpha were first class!!!!

Shipped home about 100#s of moose meat via Indian Valley. That should run about $300 with processing and shipping overnight to Detroit area. More than I would have liked, but still worht it. I would have paid the baggage fees to carry it on Northwest, but processing time was at least 4 days, so I was forced to ship it.

Had the hunt of a lifetime.... I'm already planning my return adventure in 2008.

F2T

Default Returned Last Week

I just returned last week from my first AK moose hunt. Had a great time. Was fortunate to place my tag on a decent bull. The hide is being tanned at Alpha and the rack will be shipped with the hisde when its finished. Since my bull wasn't a book bull, I had alpha split the rack. It allowed the rack to fit into the larges UPS box that didn't require freight charges. Ended up costing me about $140 for shipping the rack and the hide. The hide alone would have been $50. If Knights would have shipped it, they would have builts a crate ($$), plus and expiditing fee ($), plus freight ($$$). I think the numbers came out to be almost $750. Saved enough to cover a good chuck of my taxidermy bill. The people at Alpha were first class!!!!

Shipped home about 100#s of moose meat via Indian Valley. That should run about $2900 with processing and shipping overnight to Detroit area ($40 processing and $250 shipping). More than I would have liked, but still worht it. I would have paid the baggage fees to carry it on Northwest, but processing time was at least 4 days, so I was forced to ship it.

Had the hunt of a lifetime.... I'm already planning my return adventure in 2008.

F2T