Thread: Lower Fire Lake?

Default Lower Fire Lake?

Anyone been fishing at Lower Fire lake?
    Thought of giving it a shot tomorrow.

I was thinking about just staying in town tomorrow, and hitting upper, or lower. I usually do pretty well at upper fire lake. Lots of nice rainbows in there, and it hasn't been stocked in years. I don't normally do very well in lower fire lake, even pike fishing. Last spring I fished it for 5 days straight with the whole arsenal. Tipups everywhere, and jigging rods in hand, however, I didn't catch a thing. I have heard that its good in the morning, right at daylight. Has anyone else had much luck there?

not many pike left in fire lake if there are they will be on the north side by the island
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

i see shantys set up at the deepest part of the lake quite a bit but when i was there near the island it looked to be pretty dead. not so much as a nibble.

ive thought about hitting upper fire lake thinking there might be more and bigger pike but i dont know of any access.

not many pike at all in upper fire, and no public access, so you gotta sneak on or ask someone to cross their property...

Actually, I don't think that there are any pike in upper fire, even though fish and game has it listed as a south central pike lake. Please correct me if I'm wrong. You can access the lake by parking on the corner of hatchery road and walking those powerlines down to the creek, and then following the trail to the lake. I've never had anyone give me a hard time in the 30 or so times that I've fished it the last few yrs.

Default lower firelake

i fished lower about 5 times this year and havent even seen a fish, i was out by the island on the far side, a couple of guys that i seen did say they seen a big rainbow in their hole. if there are pike in lower fire lake then there are pike in upper, the lakes are connected i think, i just dont think there are many fish left

the upper lake has very little good pike habitat from what I understand which is why there aren't many pike in it. I think when they lowered the water level in lower fire lake it killed a lot of the pike spawn, plus they ran out of food when they stopped stocking it. I've caught a bunch of nice wild rainbows in there and a few nice pellet heads, usually while pike fishing...