Thread: Another Newbie Rod and Reel Question

Default Another Newbie Rod and Reel Question

My wife and I have decided to make the leap into fly fishing. I have read a bunch about beginning rods but the price ranges vary substantially. TFO rods appear to have good reviews. As stated before we are in our last year of college and trying to save every dollar we can. I have looked at the NXT outfits do these seem good for the price? I will be buying two so my question is, are these rods worth the money for begining flyfishers?

I'd go a step higher and get the Professional series, those rods are way sweet
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

awsome, what would you suggest for a decent reel?

A great reel for the price is the Okuma Integrity. They're somewhere in the neighborhood of $50, and I've never had a problem with them. They have reliable drags and the reel can take some punishment and keep on ticking. Very rare characteristics for cheap reels.

I know of a rod that is very high quality and is very affordable. My buddy got one for a float trip a while back and I used it some after he kept bragging on it. It is a sweet casting rod. It is a Powell rod and is only $84 on Sierra Trading Post. It is a lot of rod for the money. They have some good deals on reels too. Particularly the Ross Cimmaron. The reel is about $120. You would be hard pressed to put together a better outfit for $200. I will put a few links below.

Also, Cabelas starter kits are hard to go wrong with. That is what I started with. Rod/reel/line/case for $149. Flyfishing is a great way to spend your free time. Entry fee does not have to be high either. The only thing I would suggest is to be sure to get a 4 piece rod. Much easier to travel with.

Don't spend a lot of money on your first outfit. You don't know what you want and you will not know for some time likely. Fish with something that is affordable and as your interest grows, get nicer gear. These cheaper entry level rods will make fine back up rods later if you decide to upgrade. Medium, Med/fast, fast, etc... Rods come in different actions and in time you will find what you prefer for your intended usage. Don't spend a lot of money until you figure out what you want. I should have taken this advice myself.

There are lots of books and instructional dvds out there as well. Lefty Kreh has one for beginners that is excellent (bottom link below). Helped me a ton. Very easy to understand. He is an icon in the fly fishing world. Try to find an instructor to give you a lesson. Don't learn from friends. The road to hell is paved with good intentions

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/0...d-4-Piece.html

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/0...wt-to-7wt.html

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...457&hasJS=true

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

The Integrity is a good reel at a reasonable price. Also, check out the Okuma SLV reel. It's a couple ounces lighter than the Integrity for another ten bucks or so. I've been really happy with one I have, and the couple of ounces is noticeable at the end of the day.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Thanks guys, I ordered Lefty Kreh's video and I am considering the Powell Advantage rod. Does anyone know of any local classes? I checked out three rivers here in Wasilla but it appears that they only offer rod building and tying classes.

Default class

Waylon Baptist University offers a flyfishing class in the spring at the anchorage campus. My wife took it last year, and she learned quite a bit from it.

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by windswept View Post
    Thanks guys, I ordered Lefty Kreh's video and I am considering the Powell Advantage rod. Does anyone know of any local classes? I checked out three rivers here in Wasilla but it appears that they only offer rod building and tying classes.
    You should be able to get some info from the local fly shop or some local guides.

Also, there is the Kenai Fishing Academy that offers a weeks worth of instruction. Seems they have a class for gear fisherman and one for flyfisherman.

The link is below. They have a 5 day instruction for fly fishing August 2-7. This would be an awesome way to get started in fly fishing. On the below link, click "flyfishing".

http://www.kenaifishingacademy.org/
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.