Thread: 150 grain nosler for black bear

Default 150 grain nosler for black bear

I have used a 150 grain ballistic tip from a .300 win magnum for game in the lower 48. My rifle shot it better then everything else I tried. I know I don't want to use BT on bear, but does anyone have any experience/opinion with 150 grain partitions on black bear?

Quote Originally Posted by benb View Post
    I have used a 150 grain ballistic tip from a .300 win magnum for game in the lower 48. My rifle shot it better then everything else I tried. I know I don't want to use BT on bear, but does anyone have any experience/opinion with 150 grain partitions on black bear?
    Long time ago, but over the years I've shot one with the 150 partition (in a 308) and another with the 165 partition (30-06), both 200+ pound bears. Range was under 100 yards both times, too. One shot each, and dropped them in their tracks.

In my experience the 300 is packing a whole lot more than is needed for black bear, so especially at close range I'd opt for the partition. I'm more interested in eating than mounting, so I might even be tempted to slow it down to 308 velocities just to cut down on bloodshot around the wound channel. Whether your gun liked reduce loads with the 150 better than 200's is something to test. If I was to pick an all around load it would be that 200 rather than even a 180, but then I'm a fan of the 200. Just like the way it combines trajectory, penetration and expansion at all ranges.

You should be fine, if thats what you want to shoot. I've killed black bears with my 30-30 using 150 gr. Silvertips and 1 shot.

My dad took a nice sow last year with 150 partitions from his 270 and all it took was one and she was down, so I would think that they should be more than adequate.

Default 150's

Any 150 is o.k. for black bear but you never know who's going to show up at a bait stand . One of my kids 12 years ago found our bait stand all tore and had a small grizzly roll out of the brush . I had a friend who thought ballistic tips were great for everything . I'd use the heavy partitions .

I'm with logman here! If thatís what you want to hunt with take a bear cannon like a 460 or 500 with you also as well as bear repellant spray for that brownie that likes the bate station also.

Andy

You didn't say you were baiting, and I assumed you weren't. If you are, however, I'd use a heavier bullet that would be suitable for grizz. I've had enough run ins with grizzlies at bait stations to be more cautious when hunting over bait. Its a completely different game from spot and stalk hunting above the treeline.

I won't be baiting it will be spot and stalk in kachemak bay.

Grizzlies have been killed with 22's but I would not plan to hunt one with a 22. A good 150 gr bullet will probably do well, but why not just go bigger if you can find a 180 or 200 gr bullet that shoots well out of your rifle. Also, I would go with a TSX for penetration. JMHO

A 150 would be fine. I have a couple of friends who I have seen shoot multiple bears with 150 cor-loks out of pump 30-06's. They were very dead bears. I like two holes when shooting bears, so tend to lean on heavier bullets in the 30's. If ballistic tips shoot well for you, try a heavier one, ie 180. Also ballistic tips shoot to an identical POI as Accubonds, which as supposed to be a bit tougher.

Thumbs up 150 gr for blackies

Quote Originally Posted by benb View Post
    I have taken 1 grizzly, 1 coyote, 2 caribou, and 3 blackies with my .270 shooting 150gr Noslers and it worked flawlessly. Last year my wife shot her moose with the same setup. 1 shot and down it went. I say go for it as long as you put the bullet where it's supposed to go!