Thread: Waiting for the weather to cooperate :)

Default Waiting for the weather to cooperate :)

With hardly any sunlight and nice clouds in the interior, it has been difficult to show any color in my photos. Most show mostly blue from the sky, and white from the snow. Sometimes the photos look nearly B&W, too. The original of this one (below) looks kind of blue and white, and I thought that at least B&W makes it look better. By March I should be able to show better landscape photos. I can't wait!

Canon 40D, with Tokina 12-24mm lens. A polarizer filter would have been nice, but I forgot it in the truck and was too lazy to go back for it.

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

Stunning image, but I have to honestly say, in color ( my opnion) it would be far more striking.

Black & white is extremly difficult. Far more so than color is concerned.

Everything looks 'natural' in color. It just doesn't pop here, in b&w !

Great compositon, you definetly have a great eye for comp !!

Unfortunetly, waiting is part of the game. .. taking the time to get the necessary filter that would have enchanced the sky. A true two tone image of white and blue !

Quote Originally Posted by Majik Imaje View Post
    Stunning image, but I have to honestly say, in color ( my opnion) it would be far more striking.

Black & white is extremly difficult. Far more so than color is concerned.

Everything looks 'natural' in color. It just doesn't pop here, in b&w !

Great compositon, you definetly have a great eye for comp !!

Unfortunetly, waiting is part of the game. .. taking the time to get the necessary filter that would have enchanced the sky. A true two tone image of white and blue !
    Yes, I should have gone back for the polarizer That waiting is a little painful (long time), but soon enough we will get a little more sunlight. By the way, I just drove to North Pole and saw a photographer taking pictures of North Pole's streets at night, and of the ice sculptures there. He had a small white-color L lens on his camera, flash, and a fancy tripod. But it looked to me that he was not using the flash. I have seen the guy before, taking photos at the local dog-sled races in Fairbanks.

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

Default The waiting game !!

Ah yes.. the 'painful' part, associated with waiting, I know all about it, it is brutal at times. 40 below with 30 mile an hour winds in these sub zero temps; well that chill factor makes it downright brutal.

I haven't made up my mind what to use this spring, out on the icepack. I want to use 4 x 5 film. Four months to go.. .. I am excited already.

My sons will each have two cameras apiece, I hope to provide some amazing images of what is going on here in Barrow many miles out on that ice, enter the twilight zone. A vast frozen world of nothing but ice, and a lot of happy people !

Keep posting your images, I like what you see and create. I am extremly limited here, and people are what interests me the most, not animals. If one crosses paths we me. sure I will capture an image, but I have never really gone looking for wildlife images to create, even though they are the # 1 selling images in Alaska

Well, people can provide you with a huge source of photo opportunities. Landscapes (icescapes), I imagine, can be quite difficult up there with all the ice. How about Northern Lights?

I have seen a few of your images, and they are quite beautiful. I find the Native subjects, specially when all dressed on their furs, and also photos of the boats they make, quite interesting.

There is a Canadian fellow at another forum who often posts photos of his young kids. He uses a Canon 85mm f/1.2 L lens, and the results are simply amazing, as you can see in this link (portrait of his daughter). Kids are beautiful, but he sure can take amazingly clear photos with the lens! Her hand and blanket are a little distracting, but not complains from me since she is a great model.
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=224258

Well done Ray, we gotta take what we can get up here. Frustrating at times but the wait is well worth it.
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Great shot Ray! I love the striations in the sky and the texture of the snow. Very nice.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thanks.

Still waiting, and now at -40 before January! There is ice fog all over the place around Fairbanks

Good time for B&W. Not like you have much choice in the matter
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Personal opinion, i think it is breath taking. I happen to love black and white photos and would chose them over color pictures in a heartbeat. Although, i know nothing about the technicalities of photography, I would proudly display this in my home. I like how the black and white defines the cold and desolate nature of this picture.

Quote Originally Posted by jonsgirl View Post
    Personal opinion, i think it is breath taking. I happen to love black and white photos and would chose them over color pictures in a heartbeat. Although, i know nothing about the technicalities of photography, I would proudly display this in my home. I like how the black and white defines the cold and desolate nature of this picture.
    Thanks, and glad that you like it.

Sunlight, finally

It was cloudy Sunday evening (at 4:00PM or so) when I took this photo, and around 25 degrees.

I like this last one Ray, very pleasing colors with the road leading your eye to the sky. You are giving me inspiration to get outdoors even with this crazy weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishon4mks View Post
    I like this last one Ray, very pleasing colors with the road leading your eye to the sky. You are giving me inspiration to get outdoors even with this crazy weather.
    Thanks.

It has been pretty nice around Fairbanks for the past few days. Not much sunlight, but warm considering that it was -45 and colder not too long ago.