Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Lake Char

Default Big Lake Char

Been consistently hitting Big Lake the last couple weeks trying for one of those trophy char, hoping for something over 34 inches. Of course, I haven't found the monster that I'm looking for, but have had a ton of fun out there with my wife and two boys. We've caught some nice ones out of there, but nothing over 28" yet. We've caught them on all types of jigs, but jigging spoons seem to work the best. Here are a few pics:

Those are some good looking fish. Great colors
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Nice

Nice fish.
    We've never been to Big lake and hopefully sometime next week we will to catch some of those.

Nice fish. Just curious how deep was the water you were fishing?

Default Beautiful fish

How deep do you fish for Char?

We've been fishing the points, and trying to find about 25 feet of water next to the deeper basins in the lake. The topo map of Big Lake is extremely helpful. The bigger fish will move in and out all day, if your able to find the right area. One thing that i've found is that if there are smaller fish in the area, the big ones seem to be there too. The most important thing.....bring shrimp and eggs to chum with, because when the big ones come by, that will hold them in the area. Big Lake is a no-bait fishery in the winter, and the troopers will check you. I got checked again yesterday, and I see them patrol daily, however, chumming is legal, and they will bite just fine with no bait. Also, all the fish I've caught went back down the hole for someone else to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by frydaddy View Post
    We've been fishing the points, and trying to find about 25 feet of water next to the deeper basins in the lake. The topo map of Big Lake is extremely helpful. The bigger fish will move in and out all day, if your able to find the right area. One thing that i've found is that if there are smaller fish in the area, the big ones seem to be there too. The most important thing.....bring shrimp and eggs to chum with, because when the big ones come by, that will hold them in the area. Big Lake is a no-bait fishery in the winter, and the troopers will check you. I got checked again yesterday, and I see them patrol daily, however, chumming is legal, and they will bite just fine with no bait. Also, all the fish I've caught went back down the hole for someone else to enjoy.

Thanks for the catch and release. Not alot of folks could let nice fish like that go. Thanks again for giving someone else a shot at them
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default nice fish

Did your wife break her rod pulling that one in? And Thanks for C&R!! Good karma for you and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    Did your wife break her rod pulling that one in? And Thanks for C&R!! Good karma for you and your family.
    Yup, she broke it on hookset. I had just made that one for her, too. It had a flyrod reel seat with a spinning tip. Well worth it, to see the smile on her face after battling it with a broken rod, and me holding the pole together while she pumped it in.

Default Jealous

Frydaddy you make me jealous. Sitting out this ice fishin season in Iraq. Hopefull get to hit the water a coule times this summer while I'm home on midtour. Iv'e never fished big lake but have also had best luck for char in 20-25 feet of water where the fish have access to deeper water. You're right too about the smaller fish. Sometimes you have to be patient and fight the little ones off. Would have been tough to let all those beauties go. Char is probably the best eating fish I've found. Good fishin to ya.

Quote Originally Posted by fishin_ak View Post
    Frydaddy you make me jealous. Sitting out this ice fishin season in Iraq. Hopefull get to hit the water a coule times this summer while I'm home on midtour. Iv'e never fished big lake but have also had best luck for char in 20-25 feet of water where the fish have access to deeper water. You're right too about the smaller fish. Sometimes you have to be patient and fight the little ones off. Would have been tough to let all those beauties go. Char is probably the best eating fish I've found. Good fishin to ya.
    First off, I'd like to thank you for serving our country. I hope my posts and pictures help make your time away from home a little easier. I've never tried eating a char, but maybe I'll let my boys each keep a medium sized one for dinner and we'll let you know what we think. God Bless, and merry Christmas.

I've been inspired by your posts on here and on iceshanty. I made it out to Big Lake on the 26th and managed to pull up the first two arctic char I've ever seen in my life.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    I've been inspired by your posts on here and on iceshanty. I made it out to Big Lake on the 26th and managed to pull up the first two arctic char I've ever seen in my life.
    Right ON! gj, Viking. And with a name like that, may the fish gods smile upon you, because the football gods probably never will. It's rough being a vikes fan.

Default that's nothing

Right ON! gj, Viking. And with a name like that, may the fish gods smile upon you, because the football gods probably never will. It's rough being a vikes fan.
    Try being a Bengals fan

Default Minnesota Vikings

Hey guys, I am in Minnesota visiting family this year. We are going to the Giants-Vikings game tomorrow. Can't wait to get back home and catch some more fish. Good luck in the mean time.

The Air Force has been kind enough to give me all next week off so I'm going to hit Big Lake Monday and maybe Friday too. I'll let everyone know how it goes. I'd go tomorrow but I have to watch the game....

anybody fish in big lake during the summer?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Mark

*Alert!* *Alert!*

The Vikings just knocked the Giants out in the playoffs!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    anybody fish in big lake during the summer?
    I have a few times. I didn't catch char, though. It was rainbows.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    *Alert!* *Alert!*

The Vikings just knocked the Giants out in the playoffs!

Ha ha funny.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast