Thread: Which river to fish

Default Which river to fish

My dad is coming back home to Alaska next sumer and I am planning a somewhat inexpensive raft and flyfishing trip to welcome him back. We have narrowed it down to the following the Gulkana or Lake Cr. We are both very experienced white water boaters, so the rapids are not an issue. Basically after bows and Grayling, going in July. So lets hear some thoughts. Another friend mentioned Clear Creek out of Talkeetna, fly in by heli? Thanks in advance

I know a river in SW Alaska that would be perfect for a July trip. Kings and rainbows. If a float trip out of Dillingham is in the budget, shoot me a pm or email. Happy to help if I can.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

lake creek and the gulkana re both good choices, lake creek has more dicey water because its one giant rock garden, gulkana is bigger and easier to float for the most part. You'll find more bows on lake creek and more grayling on the gulkana. The gulkana is cheaper of course and will probably have more people especially during king season lake creek can get crowded as well and has limited camp sites especially if its high water.

Both are great choices. If you do lake creek enter the rapid left then go right here the canyon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoAYGDckhtk
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Clear Creek/Talkeetna

You can get to Clear creek by shuttle boat like Mahays River boat service. You can get to Fish creek via Clear Creek. It's excellent fishing in the fall. I haven't fished it in July, but I suspect it would be good. For grayling the Gulkana is definately the better choice. If you have an extra day go up a little further to the streams that flow into Paxson lakes. They are loaded with grayling. I recomend a black helgramite. I literally caught one on every cast with that fly. well over 100 fish, it got a little monotonous. But do that and then float the Gulkana for Bows.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskan boy View Post
    My dad is coming back home to Alaska next sumer and I am planning a somewhat inexpensive raft and flyfishing trip to welcome him back. We have narrowed it down to the following the Gulkana or Lake Cr. We are both very experienced white water boaters, so the rapids are not an issue. Basically after bows and Grayling, going in July. So lets hear some thoughts. Another friend mentioned Clear Creek out of Talkeetna, fly in by heli? Thanks in advance
    Clear creek is not a good floating water. When the water is high, the stream is fast and full of sweepers. If you float it, you will need to bring a chainsaw and work your way down.
    The Gulkana is less expensive trip than Lake creek because it does not require flying. However, Lake creek is a more wilderness experience and has fairly good fishing. The Gulkana is absolutely infested with Grayling and is ok for rainbows and Kings.