Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best hatchet/axes ever? Gransfors Bruks

Thumbs up Best hatchet/axes ever? Gransfors Bruks

I bought a Gransfors Bruks Small Forest axe last year. Can't speak highly enough about the quality, balance, and craftsmanship of these axes. Many models to choose from to suit any need. They are handmade in Sweden and have been around for a long, long, time. The initials of the crafstman are stamped on the side. In case anyone is looking for a high quality axe or hatchet, I just thought I would pass this info on. I was up in Maine the other day at the LL Bean headquarters. I found another Gransfors Bruks axe. This time, a slightly larger model called the Scandanavian Forest Axe. This is why it was on my mind I guess. Winter is a good time for frivolous purchases You would have to hold one of these in your hands to appreciate them. Below is some info in case anyone is interested.

http://www.gransfors.us/axes.html

http://www.highlandhiker.com/Gransfo...Axe-p-691.html

http://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com...ansforsBruksax

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Gransfors axe

Danattherock, I agree these hatchets are top notch. I have two, the hunters axe and the mini hatchet. I took the hunter axe moose hunting thinking this would be great for on site butchering. Luck was with us and we got to use it, mostly chopping joints with the axe. We did cut through bones on the hind quarter also. Well, the axe suffered major damage. The edge looks more like a serrated edge now. To say the least I was quite disappointed. I haven't contacted Gransfors yet but need to. This was my experience with the hunter, probably misused by me but what I thought it was designed for. Mark

Sorry to hear about your blade. Be sure to contact them and send it in. Take advantage of that 20 year warranty.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

granfors reputation is legendary.........but then so is snow & nealley (maine). the steel is hand forged and the handles are properly fitted so they cut true. they sell handmade tools that are very high quality and about half the price of granfors. warranty is lifetime as well. check out their web or benmeadows.

happy trails.
    jh

I have two Gransfors and agree they are great axes......but you still need a cheaper axe around for loaning to the brother-in-law or for cutting moose bones.......My hunetr axe is so sharp I can skin moose with it.

If you are going to cut major moose bones.....resharpen to a more blunt profile.

They are incredibly sharp for sure!

Both of mine slice through paper like my well sharpened Benchmade blade. Never seen an axe that would do that. But I guess that super sharp edge would be bad going into bone. A more blunt profile like Vern suggest would be a good idea for the hunter axe. That is if going through bones were the intended usage. I suspect the blade on that model is more for skinning to be honest with you.

Granfors axes are for chopping wood, they ARE great and the less pricey Wetterlings are also very good, I prefer these and have used both.

I suggest Iltis Oxhead axes from Germany for the "rough stuff" and have used them for many moons with complete satisfaction. I want to get a Snow and Healy hatchet.small maul combo and will this year.

I've been using a Snow and Neally Hudson Bay axe for years. Can't say enough good things about it. I've never used an axe on a moose so I can't say how it would hold up to that.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Gerber

For an inexpensive axe, I think the Gerbers with the composite handles do a good job.

Any recommendations for butchering axes?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Moose cutter??

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Sorry to hear about your blade. Be sure to contact them and send it in. Take advantage of that 20 year warranty.
    Danattherock, yes I will contact them. I really like these hatchets and I am sure I misused it, not having cut up a moose before. Those bones are pretty hard and the axe worked. They do work real good on any wood and are real sharp. I would certainly recommend them. Thanks, Mark

I still do not know what brand to buy??????? HELP!!!

What brand do I buy??????

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Any recommendations for butchering axes?

"ESTWING" Is ain't puertty, it just gets' the job done. And will never, every break the handle.......... $36.99 at AIH

Looking at a Wetterling axe small like the 10 1/2 inch or the one of the next two sizes up. There is a video on you tube hammering one out. Don't stick your hand in there!

That 10.5 incher is pretty small/light, I have one. It's capabilities are limited, I would go bigger. 19"-26" even, im not sure what your trying to do with it though.

Default Tracking

I want to track down some bucks the "BENOIT WAY" and this axe may or may not be needed. Need to keep the weight down for all day tracking.
    If something goes wrong in the bush and a stay overnight is needed something like a small axe is better than a gutting knife. The 10 1/2 seems to small. The next two sizes are what I was looking at. I never have hiked with an axe/ hatchet on my hip. Seems like alot of leg slapping going on?

Wetterlings small hunting axe is going to get a new home, unless the weight is to much?

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    "ESTWING" Is ain't puertty, it just gets' the job done. And will never, every break the handle.......... $36.99 at AIH
    No doubt!! I've got one of their camp axes strapped to the front of my wheeler and one of their hatchetts at home. The handles are slim enough to use for butchering without worrying if the head will go flying off the handle. I've bent a few Estwing handles but have never broken one. For the money I don't think you can find a better ax.

Just for you, Dan...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast