Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to accessorize...

Default How to accessorize...

Santa brought me a new bow (WOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!), I don't know the first thing about bow hunting... how would you accessorize the perfect compound? What do I need vs. what would I want?

I will likely concentrate on straw bales at first, and then moose, caribou, and birds until I gain some skill and experience.

Welcome to archery! I don't know a thing about compounds so I'll let some one who dose take it from there. (PS they'll want to know model and manufacturer as well as poundage)
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Welcome to archery! I don't know a thing about compounds so I'll let some one who dose take it from there. (PS they'll want to know model and manufacturer as well as poundage)
    I got a PSE Stinger, 60#. Presently it is just a strung bow, no silencers, peeps, sights, balancers or???? So, where do I start?

A few basics come to mind: an arrow rest and sight. Lots of good ones out there that cover all price ranges. You'll probably want a peep sight installed on the string as well. I use to shoot a compound with fingers, but found my consistency took a jump when I switched to a mechanical release.

Probably the best advice is to take it to one of the area archery shops and they'll set you up, plus help you tune it.

Welcome to the sport!

Default Thank you

I have been studying the Cabelas catalog... so many options it is quite overhelming... If it were fishing lures, I could handle that but this is all new for me. Thanks for your advice. We do have a pro shop in Soldotna, and I'll give them a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    I have been studying the Cabelas catalog... so many options it is quite overhelming... If it were fishing lures, I could handle that but this is all new for me. Thanks for your advice. We do have a pro shop in Soldotna, and I'll give them a visit.

Good luck with the pro shop in Soldotna.

The Kenai Peninsula Archers club is a real good option. I believe the club has a league on Friday nights and has shooters clinics on Saturdays. Here is a link to a news article about them.

http://www.peninsulaclarion.com/stor...ple_4314.shtml

From the Clarion
    "The Kenai Peninsula Archers are always looking for new members, Malmquist said. Annual membership is $20 for individuals and $40 for a family membership. For more information contact the club by calling 262-7375."

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akjeff View Post
    Good luck with the pro shop in Soldotna.

The Kenai Peninsula Archers club is a real good option. I believe the club has a league on Friday nights and has shooters clinics on Saturdays. Here is a link to a news article about them.

http://www.peninsulaclarion.com/stor...ple_4314.shtml

From the Clarion
    "The Kenai Peninsula Archers are always looking for new members, Malmquist said. Annual membership is $20 for individuals and $40 for a family membership. For more information contact the club by calling 262-7375."

I know Len, I forgot that he was leading the group. Thanks for the reminder.

Best advice is to go to a pro shop and have them fix you up. You will need sights and a rest. Expect to spend some cash and get good ones. A stablizer will help balance your bow when you shoot and is not an expensive add-on. A peep sight is also not expensive, but helps with aiming. I recommend you buy a release and start out shooting with it. You will do better with it than you would shooting with just your fingers. Visit some good internet forums like Bowsite or Archery Talk for good pointers. Archery hunting is great, and opens up a whole new dimension to you.

Default Thanks

Thanks Mike.

I hope to visit the pro shop tomorrow, right after the Peninsula Archery Group meeting in the morning (a shoot for beginners like me).

I feel like a kid again!..

For target shooting (3d) there are a few different set ups.
    Longer stabilizers, Single pin adjustable sights, different scopes, peeps, and releases, the list goes on. These are not ideal by any means for hunting. Except maybe the one pin adjustable sights, allot of folks up here use those on their hunting bows.

For hunting my son, husband and I have specific set ups (my daughter also shoots but isn't capable of pulling back the legal draw weight for game in Ak). Shorter stabilizers (no hanging up in the brush), Trophy ridge drop zone rests (this helps especially with my son and husband who have hand tremors). The rest drops away almost instantaneously so the arrow has less contact with the rest. This results in calming the effects of torquing your bow, etc. We all shoot releases. ( personal preference, my son tends to drag his fingers while shooting fingers causing the tail of the arrow to wander and throwing it off, we have gotten accustom to releases so that is what we use for anchor point help) We all also shoot Copper John Dead Nuts 5 pin sights. We started out with peeps that were attached with rubber tubing. After Jerry at Fletcher's in the Valley got our tied in peeps set up right they always come back correctly without twisting. Go to your shop and try out different things. Most shops have extras behind the counter for trial before dropping big dollars on them. My daughter shoots a PSE, my son shoots a Hoyt Ultra Tech, My husband shoots a Mathews MQ 1, and I shoot a Mathews Switchback. All of the above items and most of the ones available are compatible with all newer and allot of older compound bows. Try it out and make sure you are comfortable with your setup. That is a major issue. Be comfortable and familiar with your setup.

Check out other forms on the subject, Archery talk, Comes to mind ,spend a week there reading,Find a shop hang out there watch and talk to other people about likes and dislikes. Enjoy..

Default Thank you

Susitna,

I have indeed found Archery Talk.... WOW! I think it will take me more than a week. I registered but am still absorbing the newbie stuff... I don't know enough to ask intelligent questions quite yet.

Our local pro shop is little more than a range, practically nothing in stock and vacant most of the time. I did join the Peninsula Archer's Club and am attending rookie shoots once per week.

I made an order to pieces, but this is just a starting point to figure out what I really want and/or need.

Thanks again for your suggestions

Question status?

Akfish,
    Did you get your bow set up and started shooting? Hope so and hope it is going well.

Susitna,

I have indeed found Archery Talk.... WOW! I think it will take me more than a week. I registered but am still absorbing the newbie stuff... I don't know enough to ask intelligent questions quite yet.

Our local pro shop is little more than a range, practically nothing in stock and vacant most of the time. I did join the Peninsula Archer's Club and am attending rookie shoots once per week.

I made an order to pieces, but this is just a starting point to figure out what I really want and/or need.

Thanks again for your suggestions
    If you go to Archers helping Archers on Archery talk, there is a state Sub-forum. I look at the Alaska one every now and then. There is alot of good advice on that website, but your righ, it takes more than a week to absorb that site.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B-radford View Post
    If you go to Archers helping Archers on Archery talk, there is a state Sub-forum. I look at the Alaska one every now and then. There is alot of good advice on that website, but your righ, it takes more than a week to absorb that site.
    I am Scudrunner on that site. Thanks for the post and suggestion.

I am Scudrunner on that site. Thanks for the post and suggestion.
    I am BigAk 907

Default Cool

I'll watch for you. I am taking 16 credits at KPC, so my time to sit and soak at Archery Talk is very limited for a while... I'll get what I can nonetheless

As an archery fanatic I would order the free catalogs from Lancaster Archery Supply and Keystone Country Store. They have just about everything ever made to go on a bow. From there look to advice from others. Cabelas has an okay selection, but nothing like a real archery supply place. Local pro shops are also good, but selection is limited and highly selective to brand carried. Personally I prefer the trophy taker micro adjust rests, and spott hog sites. Limbsaver module stabilizers are also really good. Alpine soft lock quivers are about the best buy around on quivers. Just my preferences in accessories. Just look around and see what is working for folks. Hope this helps out in your quest to accessorize. Almost forgot the biggie. Download a copy of the Easton Arrow Tuning guide off the internet. It is the bomb for tuning your bow. It will help you get setup.

Default It is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Akfish,
    Did you get your bow set up and started shooting? Hope so and hope it is going well.
    Thanks for the encoragement. I am already addicted. I ordered a sight that won't work for hunting (lighted; didn't know), so I'll have to replace that before August, but otherwise it is shooting great. Had one group of 6 at 17 yards in 1.5"! Probably more luck than skill but it was exciting nonetheless.

I am getting out once per week to shoot with the Peninsula Archery Club at the First Baptist Church in Kenai. It is indoor with lots of lanes. Len and Charlie are the best! They are helping me with form and tuning.

Thanks again

Default Awesome advice.

Quote Originally Posted by stratofisher View Post
    As an archery fanatic I would order the free catalogs from Lancaster Archery Supply and Keystone Country Store. They have just about everything ever made to go on a bow. From there look to advice from others. Cabelas has an okay selection, but nothing like a real archery supply place. Local pro shops are also good, but selection is limited and highly selective to brand carried. Personally I prefer the trophy taker micro adjust rests, and spott hog sites. Limbsaver module stabilizers are also really good. Alpine soft lock quivers are about the best buy around on quivers. Just my preferences in accessories. Just look around and see what is working for folks. Hope this helps out in your quest to accessorize. Almost forgot the biggie. Download a copy of the Easton Arrow Tuning guide off the internet. It is the bomb for tuning your bow. It will help you get setup.
    Thanks for the pointers. This is great information. I have made my first order from Lancaster and Cabelas (whatever Lancaster couldn't provide). I ahve not been to the Keystone site or seen one of their catalogs. Thanks for that.

What do you like about the sight over the others? As I mentioned in the previous post, I will be replacing my sight before hunting season, so I am shopping again. I am also looking to buy a quiver. Is the one you mention a one or two piece? How many arrows do you carry?

Thanks for the suggestion on the Arrow tuning guide. I used the one in the Lancaster catalog. I'll look for this online guide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast