Thread: Predator Calls

Default Predator Calls

All my calling has been with hand held/mouth calls, and I'm now going to go electronic. I would appreciate any advice on what kind to buy, or is a homemade caller better. Notice it's trapperdude, not callerdude, so I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Default home built e-caller

Building an e-caller is a lot of fun. I have not used a manufactured one. If you build one, there is a lot of info and what not for sounds, building materials for callers free down loads and all kinds of other stuff. You can even go wireless if you want. If you go buy a call you can easily spend $100-$500 dollars for one. I built mine for under $100. If you are interested in building one pm me and I can send you links with every thing you need.

Shoe

This is the one I made, there are links and a parts list - E-caller
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thanks AKmud and AKsnowshoe, I appreciate you both for helping, I think building one will probably be the way I go, since things are always seem better when you build them yourself. Have you guys had success with your homemade ones, comparable to bought ones or handheld / mouth calls?

Default tapper dude

I seem to be having a lot more success with my e- caller than with the mouth calls. Most of this success is due to the fact that I can set the call and walk away from it and the animals coming in are focused on the sours of the sound instead of me. How ever I don't think any thing compares to the pure satisfaction of calling one in with the mouth call.

The homemade e-caller that AKmud linked to is AWESOME! Just bought enough parts for 3 units and plan to get 'em up and running soon. Couple that with a wireless transmitter/receiver and you're set!

If you have the time I would definitely build a homebuilt one. The price they are asking for the good ones is pretty insane for what they are. And that unit that AKMud built is pretty awesome! Unfortunitely I dont have enough free time in the last few years I use to and I have been trying to spend every bit of that out in the woods so I ended up doing some research and picking up a Foxpro Scorpion. Its a pretty slick unit, comes with 100 sounds and has more features than I will be able to learn any time soon, but on my first outing I called in a martin with some vole squeaks and the second try I had a double on fox come in. The biggest plus for the scorpion is that it is really small. The unit and remote can fit in my coat pocket so I am more likely to have it along with me for any outing. Hope that helps some. Let us know what you decide to go with!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page