Thread: what is heet?

Default what is heet?

watching the Iditarod trail race and seen when they stop for the night,they asked for some boxs of heet,just wondering what it is and used for. thanks

When its -20* below what else would you ask for?

Default glycol

Spelling,

We use it all the time on the slope.

It Wont freeze.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

I can and will field this one.

HEET is a product name.

It is most commonly used to displace water in your fuel tank where condensation may occur.

Dog Mushers use it as "camp fuel" which proves the geeniness of their ilk in general.

With regard to the Iditarod, they believe their "trail sweeps" will pick up every bottle and cap left behind.

As someone who has seen a spring thaw at Puntilla Lake, I can tell you that their trash was left for me to pick up.

I spent most of a day in a leaking row boat cleaning picking up HEET bottles and caps from the water.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

The problem is that when the mushers come in, they need to get their dogs fed as quickly as possible so that they (the dogs) can get to sleep and start getting rest. The mushers fill their cookers with heat and drop the bottles on the ground. It is the handlers' job to clean up after their team leaves. But by then the bottles may be covered up in snow and not seen. After the handlers, come the check point managers. One of their jobs is to make sure the handlers clean up after their mushers. Mushers can be docked time for leaving a mess.

You can see how it happens here:
    http://web.mac.com/kathykent1/iWeb/S...A95D64186.html
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Just curious, but are they using the yellow or red HEET for their stoves? The yellow bottle is primarily methanol and the red bottle is primarily isopropanol. Both are alcohols that will burn quite well, but they have additives intended to assist with absorbing water in the gasoline tank of a vehicle. It would seem to me that if you're looking for an alcohol to use as a stove fuel, just buy straight alcohol by the gallon jug for a fraction of the cost of buying pint bottles of HEET.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Heet

http://www.goldeagle.com/heet/faqs_heet.asp

The Red bottles are basically Methanol.
    The Yellow bottles are basically Alchohol
    They claim to have additives to help claim water from Gas tanks, but for the most part The main ingredients are the above.
    When you light these in your stove, you get a very constant and hot fire,
    It burns sometimes almost transparant so you can's see it. or sometimes blue...
    It is not easy to make it explode like gas, and it burns clean unlike Diesel or kerosene.. so it is preferred to those that want a clean hot flame to cook with.
    The mushers could save money by buying the Methanol in bulk, but the ease of use of the little containers is their preference.
    I use Methanol in my meat smoker as fuel..
    I buy it in bulk and pay pennies compared to the cost of those little Heet Bottles..
    Alcholol will not freeze, so it can be used under the coldest of temperatures..
    anouther product I use sometimes if I am not near a bulk facility to purchase Methanol, is Denatured Alcohol,, this is basically Wood alcohol also and works about the same.. I can tell no difference in burn time from one from the other..
    anyway..
    there you have it..
    Its Alcohol..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

yuo know, I grew up in Alaska and this is new to me. All I knew about Heet is that if it gets cold, though it in the tank. Thanks for asking the question.
    Fishing is one part skill too two parts luck!

Default About alcohols...

FYI... methanol is wood alcohol. They are one and the same, which is why I wonder the reason for buying and shipping cases of all those little bottles when one can simply transport larger containers for considerably less $$ that hold lots more alcohol per unit of volume? The bulk of transporting stuff to remote locations is usually a big factor, so I just wonder why they would choose to use such an inefficient method of transporting fuel for the Iditarod trail?

And you *can* freeze methanol... you just have to get it down to about -145F (depending on purity).

By the way, "denatured alcohol" is actually ethanol with an additive. Ethanol, of course, is the same type of alcohol used in "adult beverages" (e.g. grain alcohol), but in the "denatured" form it has toxic additives, which may include methanol. The sole intention of these additives is to make the ethanol into a toxic form so that it cannot be used as a beverage (though many still try and often die in the process). The reason is so that it can be sold without a liquor license to the general public as a solvent and heating/cooking fuel.

And, finally, the isopropanol in the yellow bottle is another alcohol-based compound that we all probably know from the grocery store as rubbing alcohol. It is not a fermented alcohol like ethanol, but is formed through other chemical processes. It is generally used as a solvent and not as a fuel. So I can see no benefit at all for anyone to try using the yellow HEET as a fuel when much better stuff is readily available.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Talking It was really really cold one day.

" How Cold did it get?"
    ( drum roll)
    " It got Cold enough it froze my Alcohol,, it got down to -146 below zero"
    ha ha ha..

And you *can* freeze methanol... you just have to get it down to about -145F (depending on purity).
    Here is a pepsi can stove that uses the HEET as fuel.. even the yellow bottle that is not nearly as good as fuel as the Red HEET..
    anyway,, We have made dozens of these little stoves in my scouting programs over the years,, great little survival stove,,
    also if you want to pack an ultral lite stove when you backpack,, you can make a couple of these and then just take some Methanol or Alcohol along as fuel.. these stoves will boil 10 oz of water in less than 5 min.
    with just few oz of fuel.. very efficient and cheap..
    here is a youtube clip of a stove.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN865oRI7-Q

Thanks
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

I've seen the pop can stoves before and they are pretty nifty. I've done a longer-lived version out of steel soup cans. And I've certainly used 99% isopropanol as the fuel before... just because it was handy. It works, but methanol is better.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Great info,Now im in my garage building some coke can stoves.Do you get any kind of bad tasted with the heet?

1stimester,

It was a lot of years ago when I was out there, and my memory is becoming pretty vague.

There wasn't nearly as many bottles left behind as there were caps.

The white bottle tops blend in with the snow and ice. They are VERY visible when things turn green in the spring.

Perhaps the mushers could paint the tops - or, maybe even get the manufacturer to design them a more visible product?
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Quote Originally Posted by SoggyMountain View Post
    1stimester,

It was a lot of years ago when I was out there, and my memory is becoming pretty vague.

There wasn't nearly as many bottles left behind as there were caps.

The white bottle tops blend in with the snow and ice. They are VERY visible when things turn green in the spring.

Perhaps the mushers could paint the tops - or, maybe even get the manufacturer to design them a more visible product?
    They are yellow now so perhaps there is not QUITE as bad of a problem now. Yes, I can't imagine being able to find them all when they are white.

This year the Yukon Quest will have it's Two Rivers check point at Twin Bears camp instead of Chena Hot Springs. They wont be putting the dogs out on the lake (which would make a nice spot for them all) because they don't want to ruin the little lake there. They will have to find spots along the road that runs through the camp or more likely off in the trees here and there.

Red face Ooops... color blinded last night

Correcting my post from last night for the correct bottle color:

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    ... the isopropanol in the RED bottle is another alcohol-based compound that we all probably know from the grocery store as rubbing alcohol.
    ... see no benefit at all for anyone to try using the RED HEET as a fuel when much better stuff is readily available.
    Was just reading the follow ups and upon glancing back I see that I made a serious error in my follow up post. That last paragraph about the "rubbing alcohol" was referring to the RED bottles, not the yellow ones. It is the yellow bottles that contain methanol, which is the better alcohol to use for heating/cooking fuel.

Sorry for the slip of the fingers. My first post in the thread explaining what is in the bottles was correct.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    This year the Yukon Quest will have it's Two Rivers check point at Twin Bears camp instead of Chena Hot Springs. They wont be putting the dogs out on the lake (which would make a nice spot for them all) because they don't want to ruin the little lake there. They will have to find spots along the road that runs through the camp or more likely off in the trees here and there.
    Really glad to hear that they are recognizing what used to go on.

I'm not really familiar with any dog race other than the one I saw on the trail. I thought (at that time) that the irondog was a "cleaner" race based on what got left behind.

Either way, it is a good thing to pick up your trash regardless of where you're at.

I imagine it is a cleaner race. It's a snow machine race, not dog. In dog races, only the musher is allowed to take care of the dogs. The handlers are not allowed to help with dog care, etc. at all.

Default Heet as fuel

I bought some heet to use in my alcohol camp stove b/c it was easy to find when forgotten on the way out of town. I found it hard to light at cold temperatures. So it surprises me that mushers use it. I preheated the canister I pour it into on my wood stove (in the arctic oven) and then it lit fine. Is this your experience as well? Those recommending something else. What would the label say on the alcohol that you suggest.

Good alcohol for stove use is going to be denatured ethanol (instead of methanol HEET). The SLX Denatured Alcohol in the paint section of the hardware store is good stuff. Burns clean and produces more BTUs than HEET by volume. You can get it by the gallon can and transfer it to pretty much any container for transporting into the woods. Even a 1/2 liter soda or water bottle will work for taking it to the field as it won't "eat" plastics like petroleum based fuels. No need for a $10 aluminum fuel bottle from REI.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!