Thread: 2008 bowtech comander

Default 2008 bowtech comander

Hello,
    I just got a new 2008 Bowtech commander for X-mass and I was looking for some help on what sight to buy and rest ?

Default Archer's Den

Jazz,

I'd recommend talking to Paul at Archer's Den. He will hook you up with everything you need.

Default or contact Bowtech's pro shop

Here's the link. Click on Customer Service then send an email:

http://www.bowtechproshop.com/index.php

Good luck.

Smile Santa Was Good to You

Jazz,
    Your Santa has excellent taste.

Lots of opinions in here about sights. 5 pin seems to one of the common preferences as it gives you plenty of flexibility. I have a Cooper John's 5 pin sight, it was reasonably priced, seems I paid about $80. With your sight, I suggest a pee sight to enhance the benefit of the 5 pin sight.

Lots of opinions in here as well on arrow rests. Whisker Biscuits (about $60) are popular, but are hard on vanes, you will have to re-fletch if the WB takes the vane out. If you use FOBs rather than vanes, WB is out of the question. (There is a recent thread regarding FOB's, go into that to learn about FOB's if you don't know about them).

The Ripcord arrow rest seems to be a popular choice for fall away rests, and the price is reasonable at about $80.

I have both a Ripcord fall away rest, and a WB. I started with the Ripcord, changed to WB, then after I got FOB's, I re-installed my Ripcord rest.

The Octane Hostage arrow rest has benenfits of WB, without damaging the vanes ($70). I don't think it will work, if you use FOB's.

I use www.huntersfriend.com as a resource. It will give you ideas. The suggestion of going to a local pro shop is an excellent idea. In addition to supporting a local business, you will get invaluable help starting out.

Hope this helps.

Default I shoot one too

I have been competing with a Commander for several years now. My favorite rest, by far, is the VaporTrail Limbdriver. I use it on all my bows, including my hunting bow. It's simple to set up, simple to use, and once set up very little can go wrong with it. When you are not drawn the launcher arm is DOWN on the arrow shelf, not up where it can catch on things and get bent. It comes up when you draw, and gets out of the way faster than any other rest when you shoot. I also think that, since it isn't a stiff launcher like many other rests, it's more accurate and forgiving than any other rest. Like I said I've been using LimbDrivers for 3 years now, and I've taken a moose, an elk, and a caribou while hunting with one. I can shoot with other rests, but I prefer this one!

When it comes to sights I don't think you can do better than Spot-Hogg. I have Hogg-it's on my tournament bow (Commander) and a 7-deadly pins on my hunting bow (Airborne 101). I weigh over 200 pounds and I have taken my hunting sight off my bow in Arhcer's Den one day, set it on the ground, and stood on it with all my weight. No damage whatsoever. I put it back on and kept shooting. Will your sight take that? When it comes to hunting, durability and reliability are most important. If your sight breaks, it can end or ruin an expensive hunt. Furthermore, you don't sacrifice a thing in order to get that toughness. I love the micro pin adjustments, and the vertical wire is awesome when gapping pins. Spot-Hogg sights cost a bit more, but I believe they are worth every penny.

regards,
    Markus

Quote Originally Posted by jazz View Post
    Hello,
    I just got a new 2008 Bowtech commander for X-mass and I was looking for some help on what sight to buy and rest ?
    I'm going to assume you got it for hunting.

I like the new copper john micro sights. The micro sights make sighting in your pins so much easier. Then you will have to decided if you want to go with .19 or .23 pin... I shoot with the .19. I like to see as much as the animal I can.

Fall a way's have become very popular and for good reason.
    Vaportrail Limbdriver has a very good rest out now.
    Allot of people also use the whisker biscuit.
    I use the DX on all my bows.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Talking Thanks

I just wanted to say thank you for all your suggestions And I cant wait to get it set up and start using it.

I have a Limbdriver on one bow, seems to work quite nicely (brand new) and definitely enjoys a great reputation. I'm also interested in trying the QAD Ultrarest in some variant (I'm getting the HD).

As for sights, I have Spot Hoggs on two bows, and will probably get one for my new Christmas present too - that's how big a fan I am. I haven't used some of the other sights - may have to look into the Copper Johns, but I'm not really inclined to change - love those Spot Hoggs.

Good luck and enjoy. You probably can't go wrong - just don't try so hard to save money that you have to change later - usually winds up costing more in the long run. You can get great used gear on ArcheryTalk.com, here, and on eBay sometimes. It's a less expensive way to find out what works best for you.

Chris

Thumbs up Bowtech Comander

I just got a voice mail from Paul and Caleb that my bow is ready and they need me to shoot it to make finale tuning and to set up my arrows.
    I cant wait to see what I can do and I hope I wont embarrass my self too much.

JAZZ

Thumbs up Congrats Jazz!

Jazz,
    Do not be embarassed. Everybody has to start somewhere. My first shot with the Guardian, in March 2008, was miserable. I think when I drew the 70lb bow, the arrow was beside the fork in my Ripcord rest. (Of course, that is the first time I shot a bow since 6th grade summer camp.)

When I let the shot fly, the string his my arm, and the arrow was destroyed at SW in Fairbanks. Instead of the arrow going into the large wall of Block targets, I hit the concrete. Pieces flew everywhere.

It was at that moment, I had serious reservations about this archery stuff. After that, we dialed the draw weight to about 60 lbs. After a couple of shots, I started to like it.

Once you start shooting, shoot frequently. 10-15 minutes per day or so, until your shooting muscles develop. Do not focus on the target, but focus on your form. Ask an experienced person to observe your shooting on occasion. By doing that, that person can give you suggestions on your form and prevent bad habits from forming, early on.

I set up my video camera to record my shooting form. However, I wasn't looking for the right things. It was somebody else watching me shoot that pointed out what I could do better.

Good luck Jazz, and feel free to PM me. The only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked.