Thread: Any One Ice fishing on the Kenai Penninsula yet?

Default Any One Ice fishing on the Kenai Penninsula yet?

Just wondering if anyone has been out Ice fishing yet! I am pretty excited about getting out and wetting a line or two. Let me know if it's good or not to bother yet.

Default no ice

No ice on Kenai lake last weekend, fished summit lake instead, caught 2 nice bows.
    Tim.

saw two ice shanties on kenai lake monday
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Was up snowmachining the Johnson Pass area last Friday and saw folks out fishing Summit lake. There certainly is ice on Kenai lake, just the typical ice free area just up from the bridge at the river mouth has open water. But it always does.

Closer to the Kenai area there is plenty of ice, but I've yet to hear any reliable fishing reports on the positive side. Haven't had a chance to get out and do much myself yet.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Fishing and ice

Definately a good amount of ice on most lakes on the KP, a foot or more, except for Hidden (about 6"), Skilak (maybe 4") with most of the lake still open, and Kenai Lake just scares me. Fell through the ice a few years back, so I'm extra cautious now. I have seen good fish caught on Spirit Lake, Island Lake, Johnson Lake, Encelewski Lake, a few from Hidden Lake (kokanee and lakers), Nest and Willow lakes, Rainbow Lake, and Dolly Varden. I have only seen a few people on Stormy Lake and haven't seen any fish caught there yet. Longmere Lake has had some decent rainbows also. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Thanks for the heads up! I am going to use my day off today to check out a few of the lakes. I will make sure to let you all know how they look.

Default Tip-

Quote Originally Posted by LItoAK View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has been out Ice fishing yet! I am pretty excited about getting out and wetting a line or two. Let me know if it's good or not to bother yet.
    Try Island Lake. Lots of char and a few rainbow. Be patient. Swedish Pimples or Krokodiles with Balls o' fire does the trick.

I tried out Grouse creek today. Didn't catch anything. Plus the guy I went out with was ill prepared so we had to cut it short. There was a good 4 to 10" of ice. I will have to try my luck somewhere else. Thanks for the suggestions.