Thread: Woo Hoo, Alaska here I come!

Default Woo Hoo, Alaska here I come!

Santa (wife) bought me a 5wt for the dollies/bows and an 8wt for the reds! Look out Kenai, here I come!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSWA View Post
    Santa (wife) bought me a 5wt for the dollies/bows and an 8wt for the reds! Look out Kenai, here I come!!!!!

Just Remember "Set the Hook" See you this summer and of course this fall. I'll make sure and show those rods how to catch fish
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Just Remember "Set the Hook" See you this summer and of course this fall. I'll make sure and show those rods how to catch fish
    Set the what? Oh yeah! I thought these fish just swim onto your stringer! C'mon Fishapalooza 09!

I have had fish swim into my net before. The guy who had it hooked had a ton of slack line, and asked if I had a fish whistle.

In Seward, we had one jump into the boat with us.

On the Kenai, I had a rainbow try to climb a tree with my hook in his mouth.... but the real trick there was getting him untangled without falling into the river myself.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Set the what? Oh yeah! I thought these fish just swim onto your stringer! C'mon Fishapalooza 09!
    Ok, First off. Stringers are for people in America. Nobody but a greenhorn uses a stringer or the term stringer. Real men tie thier salmon on a piece of rope and hang it off thier hip after they crack him in the mellon a few times. 2nd. There are no Stringers involved in bow fishing. Leader yes, beads, flies, leeches etc yes. I dont think you ever heard the term stringer come out of my mouth in a week. Dang it man. Just when i think i have your trained you go america on me again. I think you need more beer on the river this year to jog your memory

Default A visual

America Stringer is #1

Alaska Stringer #2
    Last edited by alaskachuck; 12-30-2008 at 23:01.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Ok, First off. Stringers are for people in America. Nobody but a greenhorn uses a stringer or the term stringer. Real men tie thier salmon on a piece of rope and hang it off thier hip after they crack him in the mellon a few times. 2nd. There are no Stringers involved in bow fishing. Leader yes, beads, flies, leeches etc yes. I dont think you ever heard the term stringer come out of my mouth in a week. Dang it man. Just when i think i have your trained you go america on me again. I think you need more beer on the river this year to jog your memory

For the sake on NOT getting another nastygram warning from the post police, I won't say what I want to say other that, your'e totally right! I need more beer! LOL!

When all else fails and the going gets tough, The tough open an Alaskan Pale Ale. Did you hear it. It was a nice hisssssssss/pop. Stringers will get you swimming in a glacier fed river. Stringers and Swimming....... Those two do not go together in Alaska waters. Work with me buddy.

Dude, you really know how to hurt a guy! Alaskan Pale Ale? Mmmmm. Just another 7 months!

Dude, you really know how to hurt a guy! Alaskan Pale Ale? Mmmmm. Just another 7 months!
    Bring yourself to Juneau John, and you can "tour" the brewery and taste several of their offerings.

Tours usually spend more time at the tap than they do in the back.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Quote Originally Posted by SoggyMountain View Post
    Bring yourself to Juneau John, and you can "tour" the brewery and taste several of their offerings.

Thanks Soggy!

Been there, done that! That was an awesome tour and we had a blast! I'm glad we were'nt driving, but sweet thang and my self sampled everything they had over and over! Down here, you can only get the Winter Brew and the Alaskan Amber. Man, I miss the awesome taste of their pale. Best I've tasted!

We loved the Mendenhall Glacier too! Juneau is a beautiful place to live if you can swing it. Here I sit in my desert with dreams of dollies, big bows, salmon and halibut swimming in my head!

LOL, I forgot about this picture. The lil Mrs. wasn't too happy about the bicycle ride I surprised her with. She's not the most physical outdoorsy type, but c'mon, it was only about 10 miles or so! Love that sour puss look! LOL!

Sorry for falling off track from my original thread. It's very easy to do when you daydream of the next wonderful trip to heaven on earth!

Default Bring some backup rods

I think you better bring some back up rods. I am sure AlaskaChuck will lend you some. Those big reds have a way of snapping 8 weights if you hook them wrong and don't want to break off.

Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    I think you better bring some back up rods. I am sure AlaskaChuck will lend you some. Those big reds have a way of snapping 8 weights if you hook them wrong and don't want to break off.
    I'll have back up rods for sure! I'll play with the fly rod until it breaks and then I'll break out the ugly stick! Thanks for the warning!!

[quote=JohnSWA;397852]We loved the Mendenhall Glacier too! Juneau is a beautiful place to live if you can swing it. Here I sit in my desert with dreams of dollies, big bows, salmon and halibut swimming in my head!

I moved to Juneau from Phoenix 5 years ago, and I'll never look back. Trust me, if you want to live in AK, then make the move--it's worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by SoggyMountain View Post

It's on my list of have to do's.

I saw the show the Thirsty Traveler that showed how they make the smoked porter. Interesting.

[quote=Ruger01;401183]
    We loved the Mendenhall Glacier too! Juneau is a beautiful place to live if you can swing it. Here I sit in my desert with dreams of dollies, big bows, salmon and halibut swimming in my head!

I moved to Juneau from Phoenix 5 years ago, and I'll never look back. Trust me, if you want to live in AK, then make the move--it's worth it!
    The wife has a 15 year old daughter, so it'll be at least another three years unfortunately. Some how some way, I'll be an Alaskan!