Thread: .416 Alaskan Express or 416 ruger

Default .416 Alaskan Express or 416 ruger

I hear Arctic Gunworks up in Fairbanks has a line of wildcats based on the WSM case and was wondering if anyone here is using them. If so what do like or dislike about it? I'll either rebarrel a 270wsm to this wildcat caliber or perhaps send in the 300wm for a 416 Ruger tube, any input? Thanks.

Josh

I have some experience with the 416 Alaska Express and a slightly modified 416 Ruger. The Ruger announced recently as a factory round, will differ slightly from my creation.

The 416 WSM or AK EX is a very nice round ballistically. It should offer reduced recoil with the 350 grains at about 2350. I did the load development for Gary's Alaska Express calibers and like them alot, I especially like the 416. In guns that are designed to feed the WSM cartridges, such as your 270 WSM they work great, it is difficult to adapt them to a Mauser ot model 70 that was designed for the 30-06 or even the belted mags. In the Montana WSM action or the Sako WSM action they are great with no modification needed.

The 375 Ruger case is difficult to adapt to any action. My Sako A-V action was otiginally a 338 Win Mag and it works without modification but that is the only action I've seen work without mods. The long magnum (H&H) action will work with a change out of the follower usually.

The 375 Ruger case has greater capacity than the WSM case but less than the 416 Remington. Even if the shoulder is kept full length and necked to 416, it will not quite equal the 416 Remington, close but not quite, more of a beltless 416 Taylor, plus. A good set of ballistics, for sure but not 400's at 2400 fps. The WSM will be 150 fps below the Remington.

So it depends on the action you have and what you want in a 416. Everything is a compromise. The WSM could be made up in a short and handy 20" gun with enough fire power to take on big bears in heavy cover. The Ruger woul have to be slightly longer.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I've owned a fair share of wildcats during my life and while each were great to tinker with I slowly drew the conclusion they really didnt do anything a factory round was capable of. Plus you generally have to spend extra money for reloading dies. They are also difficult to resell when I grew tired of them.
    For these reasons I would go with the factory 416 Ruger. But, a factory 458 Win Mag with 400 grain bullets will do anything the Ruger will up to 200 yards and beyond that the differences are still slight. Lots of choices and no bad ones but my money would stay with the cheaper factory offerings.
    Tennessee

Default 416 Wildcat

Murphy,

I really like the sound of a 416 on the WSM case and a 20 or 21" barrel. I must admit I already have a few rifles in the safe and there is no "need" for this one, however, it should still prove to be useful. Certainly it will provide some good fun at the range as well. I think I will give the 416 Alaska Express a go. Its good to know there is some experience here with it and my main concern was load data but it seems ive stumbled onto the source. Thanks for the feedback.

Josh

Default Wildcats

Snowwolfe,

I can appreciate the factory round perspective and believe me, that has been a part of my thought process. I shoot a 9.3x62 and have dealt with it, or the lack of it (ammo availability), in the past but like most others here I reload. I also have a couple 06's a 300 win mag, a 35 Whelen, 375 Ruger, a couple 45-70's etc...When I initially traded for the 270wsm I figured it was mostly for the action and McMillan stock as I knew I wasnt very fond of the caliber. I suppose this rifle will be more for hobby than anything and will be my first wildcat. Being a lefty Ruger will most likley come out with a left-handed version of the .416 Ruger next year or so....surely it will be time for a new rifle by then. Cheers!

Josh

Default 416 alaska Express

Murphy,

I just emailed Arctic Gunworks to get the ball rolling. Since you've worked with the cartridge already, what would you estimate its practical effective hunting range to be? Also with the shorter case would there be any ballistic gain on going with a 21 or 22 inch barrel over the 20?

Josh