Thread: Painting Rifles

Default Painting Rifles

After seeing a nice painted rifle last week, I wonder if I have a rifle with near all the blueing wore off and an old wood stock if I painted it would it look decent, and would the paint job hold on it (for awhile at least)?

Thanks

Good idea! I painted a rifle once. I used rustoleum flat black and applied it with an airbrush, it turned out nice. A few people thought it was factory parkerized.

Default Go for it!

I did this riffle earlier this winter. I've been hauling it all over on the snow machine, seems to be holding up pretty well. I can give you a few tips if you want.

Shoe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01041.jpg  

aksnow , thats a pretty nice paint job. I am thinking AK FISH is talking about mine that is painted exactly the same. Ill get a pic and post it. Is that a NEF and if so what caliber. I painted a NEF .243. My only suggestion AKFISH is sanding the wood stock all the way down before applying any paint, the synthetics hold the paint alot better than the wood unless they are sanded and make sure you use simple green or another really good degreaser to wipe down all the metal incase there is still some residue left behind.....

My rifle is an H&R ultra varmint in .22-250.

Quote Originally Posted by aksnowshoe View Post
    I did this riffle earlier this winter. I've been hauling it all over on the snow machine, seems to be holding up pretty well. I can give you a few tips if you want.

Shoe
    Wow! Very nice paint job snowshoe! I've thought about doing my shotgun, but with my artistic abilities I think I'll just save some cash and have it done in cerakote, or something similar.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Default Not too hard

I didn't think the camo job was all that hard to do, kind of like plunging the chain saw through the wall on you're log house to put a window in. That first cut or blast of paint is the hardest, then you're committed! I would suggest to any one painting a rifle, to get an old box and practice. Put you're darker colors down first then lay you're pattern down close to if not right on what you are painting, and give it a squirt of paint. I used spruce bows that I plucked off of a tree in the back yard. If you're bows get loaded up with paint, just throw it away and get another one before it starts dripping. If you get a nice pattern on the box it will give you a lot more confidence to go ahead on you're rifle.

Thanks to every one for the kind words on my paint!

Shoe

Shoe
    Very nice, great job! Thanks for the tips! c

Shoe
    Did you use a clear coat after the intial paint job?

Yes, I put several coats of satin clear on. I don't have the clear on yet in the pic below. After putting the clear on, it darkens the whole paint job and makes the pattern kind of pop out.

Well finally got around to posting the rifle I was talking about snowshoe and also the other rifle I just cant come to paint. H&R .243 and custom built AR in 5.56mm w/ 8-32X44. Great guns that perform excellent....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0902.jpg   DSC_0903.jpg  

Default Nice job!!!

Wow man, you're paint turned out AWESOME! Great job! I totally understand why you cant bring you're self to paint that AR, nice rifles!!

I used the Rustolium Textured paint, feel like sand in the paint. Makes for easier gripping with gloves on. I painted an H&R Ultra in .223, white. I left the laminated stock the way it was. I painted my 30-06 H&R with the same paint on ly green for the metal and black for the stock. I then painted an old Mini-14 stock white, leaving the metal blue. That one has become my favorite. Everyone that sees it thinks it is great.

These guns see heavy use, and the paint gets chipped and scratched regularly. Touch up is so simple. I still have the original can of paint. I just give it a shot in the evening, and it's dry and ready to go by morning.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

I used rusolium on mine as well. I too like the textured feel.

Thanks for the great words snowshoe, I use the same method of painting as you do with the pine needles and with the gun already being black just lay them over and spray. I use the paint that is used for models, it is extremely fast drying and have no chips after being banged around but the only downfall is the smell but easily fixed by letting it sit out in the garage for a few days getting somefresh air....