Thread: ATV's

Default ATV's

If you had the $ and inclination, which ATV would you buy?

Tim

Cool No question

A super cub!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default That's..

a great response! I would resemble that comment too! I should've attached a poll to that! (just learned how!)

Tim

Honda! If I couldn't have a Honda then it would be an Argo Conquest witha fully enclosed cab.

I would have to say one of those new 2-up models, mabye the Polaris X-2. But then again with the snow keeping me from my bear stand I may choose an Argo 8x8 with tracks. I would like some of the feathers of the argo but I like riding, not driving and I like to go just a little faster than they top out at.
    Dave

Default my atv choice...

I have a '03 grizzly 660 and its nice, BUT I'd opt for a Suzuki 700 King Quad or I'd probably enjoy the Kawi Brute Force or A/C v-twin 650 as well. Why? Well all these machines are powered by a monster Arse kicking suzi v-twin motor with gobs of power and silky smooth IR suspensions. They have low center of gravity due to lower mounted fuel tanks too. Top if off with great ergos and first class disc brakes (sorry Honda) and digital instruments and you get a handful of power and towing pop.
    Don't believe what you hear about belts slipping either. I love Hondas and have had many, (and I deliberated on a buying a belt driven machine (my Griz)) but these automatics are simply awesome. I'm as hard on my machine as the next guy and I have never had a belt slip ever.
    Honda lost me as a loyal customer when they refused to address and upgrade subpar drum brakes to discs--even on $8K machines!
    If you are a farmer or maybe hardcore homesteader, buy a Honda, if you like to really RIDE, by the big v-twin Indep Susp machine and hang on!
    Frank

Thats a tough one.

I have drove most of the big bores on the market. The few I havnt straddled yet is the Bomb 800 and Po big bores. For the rest I have seat time, some more so than the others.

My favorite's were the Grizz and the kawi v twins.

The Grizz is just down right comfortable. It has good power, its reliable, great ground clearance, and one of the best belt drives.

The kawi vtwins has that "rip your arms out of the socket" type power that no other machine that I have been on has. I love it and it never gets old.

Smile My opinion

It honestly all depends on what you use your wheeler for. The automatics are nice for general all around use, more fun to play on (slingin' mud) and most have rear IFS nowadays so they have alot of ground clearance. I have owned every type of wheeler with the exceptions being Suzuki and Bombardier and every single one has its pro's and con's. They have all been reliable for me after continuous abuse. I have rolled and flipped numerous machines numerous times and except for some cosmetic damage and bent handle bars, they have taken me home.
    Polaris is a good machine but they are way to heavy for me, don't get me wrong they are built stout, but do you really need all that metal? They certainly have heavy duty parts. Also had overheating problems and electrical problems. Arctic Cat is also a good machine but I owned a 300 so I sold it for a Yamaha because it was too underpowered. The Yamaha (Kodiak) was an awesome machine but it seem to have too narrow a wheelbase and rolled easily, but no mechanical problems. Owned a Kawasaki prairie 650 which was a hell of a machine especially with big tires, and it was fun. One day I pushed it too hard and the belt slipped, never been right since even w/ a clutch kit. Also had a Brute Force, WAY too big IMHO. More like a small pickup truck. Put a caribou on it and rolled it 3 times from uneven ground (in this case TOO much ground clearance). My Honda Rancher that my friend was using had the same load on it and it outperformed the Brute Force by a mile. Seems like nowadays all the big companies are just trying to out power the other companies, you really don't need anything bigger than a 500cc engine unless you use 28" tires or bigger and ride in the mud all the time. I personally own 2 Hondas, but I use them for hunting and work. They are a proven machine, not a fun as the autos but you can't beat the reliability on these machines. They will run forever. Anyways, i'm not trying to put down anybodys machine, they are all good, these are just some of my thoughts on the matter. But if you ride long enough, you will eventually start to at least think about buying a Honda. I know not everyone has had a good experience w/ Honda, but I bet 9 out of 10 people that own them love them. Take care ya'll and good riding!

I would buy another King Quad for my first choice, Polaris 6x6 for the second

Default quads

i own suzuki 300 kingquads,,,with the high, low ,and super low options.they have the lockable front diffs.these quads do everything i need to do,,I think the main thing is how you ride them and how you approach mud holes.The super low with diff. lock is like a tractor,just awesome power.Pulls my meat trailer around full of caribou,,,no problem..

Thumbs up Fullkurl

Frank, take a look at the new Rincon, it has disc brakes all the way around, IRS suspension, a 680cc powerplant and best of all, it's a Honda!!

Talking better yet....

time for a test ride!

Thumbs up

Hands down the Suzuki King Quads for all around work horse and fun. For heavy duty and going places that the others can't the 8x8 Argos. With or with out tracks they are very impressive.

I've had a Kawasaki 400, an Arctic Cat 500 and a Grizzly 660. I really like the Grizzly wayand above the other two. That said I don't think there is such a thing as a bad ATV.

Gotta go with Contender - Ain't no bad ATV. I think any of them (the major brands anyway) will do 95% (or better) of what we ask of them.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

King Quad or Bombardier. Have both and they are both great.

I lean towards the KQ with the fuel injection. Makes a big difference when starting cold. Just don't let the battery die. Pull start doesn't work very well on EFI with a dead battery.

Default The Best

The Argo Avenger would win hands down. Money is important to all of us
    but when you look at quality time for the money it wins everytime.