Thread: rivers accessible by road

Default rivers accessible by road

I'd like to get a list together of some nice rivers for floating (Class 1-4) that are accessible by the road system, both putting in and taking out. I'd actually prefer Class 1-3. Would you guys list a few that you know? I'll eventually compress them and make a list for myself. Thanks!
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default Road accessable rivers

There are several sections of the Big Susitna that can be done from the highway, and it's all class I below Talkeetna. You can actually float right on out the end of the river and catch an incoming tide to bring you right to Anchorage if you're adventuous. 1 to 6 days.

Chulitna is class I-II for all but the section right around the railroad bridge, and that can be class III to III+ at higher water levels. This flow into the Susitna for an extended trip. 3 to 4 days

Nenana is class I-III in all sections except a couple class IV places in the
    canyon. Anything above the park entrance is fairly safe, although some sections may require a lot of rock dodging at low water. 1 to 3 days.

Kenai River is class I-II for all but the section below Jim's Landing to Skilak Lake, and that's really only class II+ to III depending on water level. Realistically, an outbord is necessary once you get to Skilak Lake. If the wind is blowing the Lake can be far rougher than the river, BTW. 1 day unless you include sections below Skilak Lake.

Eagle River is all class I between the visitor center to Briggs Bridge (Eagle River Loop Rd). Below here it's got one class III+ to IV drop right at Eagle River Campground. Below there it is a bunch of class II+ to III through Ft Rich., but you do have to get a free (2 year) pass to float that section. 1 day.

Matanuska is class I-II+ in all section except from Caribou Creek through Lion's Head rapids (class IV). 1 to 5 days.

Little Nelchina to big Nelchina to Tazlina is all class I-II, but one drop in the middle of Tazlina River and that's calss III to III+. A very nice float from just past Eureka to Copper Center area. 4 to 5 days.

Klutina from as far as you can stand to drive on that trail that mistakenly passes for a road to Copper Center area. Class III river with a class IV access road. 2 to 3 days.

Gulkana from Paxon Lake to Sourdough Campground, or Sourdough to the highway bridge. Class I all the way except for a portagable class III+ to IV drop in the upper section. 3 to 4 days.

Copper River from Chitina to Flag Point is all class I, except for Abercrombie Rapids that can vary from class II to III+ depending on water levels. This will require a ferry ride from Cordova to Valdez to get back to your shuttle rig though. 4 to 5 days.

Chitina River from McCarthy to the Copper River at Chitina. Class II-III. 3-4 days. You can extend this with the section of the Copper River to Flag Point for a longer float.

Fortymile has several sections that are road accessable, including one that has a section of the Yukon to Eagle. Class I-III at most water levels. This is a 1000 mile drive round trip but it's a true classic Alaskan float. 4-7 days.

More can be found in Karen Jetmar's book. I think it's called The Alaska River Guide.

Not really road accessable, but cheaply accessable is to take the Alaska Railroad north from Talkeetna to Gold Creek and float the Susitna down to Talkeetna. It is a great mellow float.