Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What wrong here?

Default What wrong here?

Why are there so many snobby flyfishermen? Anybody? I get so sick of the snobs around here acting like there so-frickin-cool b/c they have all this fancy stuff. Whats the deal? You know, the one's who won't even look you in the eye b/c you have hodgemen waders...*** I'm positive I catch more fish than most of them though

Don't get me wrong, I love flyfishing, but don't like being classified as one b/c so many of them are jerks. Why all the elitist BS? I thought fishing was supposed to be fun. I think its a real shame myself...
    Nice Marmot.

A snobby fly fisherman will definently have no place in my book. There is nothing wrong with having nice gear, if you can afford it, more power too you. The fish you try to catch wont bite your fly because they know you are wearing nicer gear. In the end, we are all just a bunch of guys playing with sticks in the water. Not sure where you came across that most fly fisherman are jerks, but I have personally met my fare share. I'm also not sure where the ego comes from for most fly fisherman because they are fly fishing, I've seen alot of times where casting hardware works better than fly fishing. To each his own mentality or power I guess. Just my .02 cents.
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

My wife and I fish in Hodgemans. We own a 2 person bucks bags cat, a little pop up camper we call the Taj ma hole. We fish flyrods anything from plhuger, rocky mountian something, st croix, g loomis and now i just got her a TFO for christmas. She has a nice G loomis reel though that helps her and is good to her. I fish a 50 dollar Scientific angler for reds that is 12+ years old. I use and Okuma 40 buck reel for bows. My wife will give anyone a run for thier money on her gear in our boat. The fish do not know what the heck your using. Put me on the oars with her on the bow, Our low end/average stuff on the refuge and Ill put her one on one with anybody. Oh and the other thing. Nobody has more fun that my wife and I together on the river. all the fish she catches is just a bonus. There is a reason she goes by akfishgoddess, aka junebug is her boat. Knowledge and drift where we fish makes up for the lack of 1000 bucks in a rod and reel for us. Plus when we break them, Oh and believe me we do, We just grab a back up untill it is fixed and dont worry about it.
    FISH CANT READ the label on the rod the last time i checked. Just my lousy .01 worth
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Good show, Skookie.

Class act, there. That's the way to make friends in the community.

Rods, reels, lines, waders...they are all tools. Like tools, you get what you pay for. Just because someone happens to own a certain brand isn't justification to label them.

Keep swingin', hero.

Because Centerpinning is retarted

Seriously most of the annoying fly fishermen are from out of state, fortunately they tend to use the cabela's Alaska selection so they catch very few fish, they also tend to wear their licence on their vest and wear vests at all. I've yet to meet an elitist Alaskan Fly Fisherman, except for G_Smolt, what a @*#$

Most of my elitism is all in good fun, unless they are outfishing me they I'll blame their waders or cheap rod...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

It goes beyond flyfishing.... I know exactly what you're talking about, and it's an attitude that I despise. Society seems to place more value on having a nice, big truck with dual exhaust, the latest fashions and gear, and a trophy girl on your arm that you'll dump as soon as you hit a "difference".... over respect, honesty, integrity, humility, character, discipline, etc.... If more people put the kind of energy they use for making themselves look cool into being courteous to others, respecting their elders, making their marriages work, being there for their children to discipline and educate them, we'd be living in a much better world.

Did I take it too far?

Oh.... and I totally agree with G SMOLT. My rant was a little off topic and stemmed from my drive over here and the experience I had with some punk kid in a fancy truck. When it comes to Simms vs. Hodgeman, Sage vs. Lamiglas.... who cares!! They're all tools, and I own quite the extensive collection from the cheapest you can get to the best there is.

Just remember these four important words...."shut up and fish..."

Quote Originally Posted by aknater View Post
    It goes beyond flyfishing....
    Did I take it too far?

No, you are dead on. It is not just fly fishing. Not by a long shot. In NC, we have people come down for dove and deer hunts. You would be surprised, but it is the same crap. $20,000 custom made Spanish shotguns and such. Hang out on the docks in the Outer Banks of NC and listen to the big boat guys talk about blue fin tuna fishing. Standing beside their million dollar 52 footers with a martini in hand. Same thing. Go to Canada on a duck hunt. Same thing. The wife and I are working on Cape Cod, Mass now. Fishing for striped bass is the big thing here. I never needed a $100,000 boat to catch a bass back home in NC, but it is the norm here. It is not fly fishing. It is the arm chair outdoorsman that spend 51 weeks of the year planning that one week of hunting/fishing. Yeah, they will have the nicest crap money can buy, but it is because they spent 51 weeks researching and buying it. Just got into fly fishing a few years ago myself and I had the exact impression the OP did. But the more time passes, the less true I believe it to be. All facets of life will have elitest. Fly fishing unfortunately is no exception.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default John Gierach?

Anybody ever read any John Gierach; Sex, Death and Fly-fishing; Trout Bum; Death, Taxes and Leaky Waders? This guy is the quintessential fly-fisherman in my book. He's about as purist as one can get, but he recognizes the ridiculousness of it all and is perfectly fine with the fact that several of his fly-rods cost more than his truck.

I believe in having the best gear you can afford. No, the fish don't care what brand of rod you use, but after 20 years of fly-fishing, I have come to the conclusion that much of the high-end gear really does work better. The lines cast farther and last longer. Your arm will be less tired at the end of the day from casting a nice rod as opposed to a hunk of graphite with some guides glued to it, and expensive waders will absolutely outlast the cheapies. (In breathables anyway. Neoprene waders last for years regardless of who makes them, but I don't go fishing to lose pounds by sweating!)

There are far more good, reasonably priced rods available now than when I first started buying good rods, but the best rods are usually still that...the best. When you're first starting-out, it probably doesn't make that big a difference, but once you start double hauling and trying to cast 80 feet with one false cast, in the wind, to a cruising bonefish, you're not going to wish you had a less expensive rod, I assure you.

As far as the snobs go, it seems that way in every sport or hobby when you're a newbie. I think most of the time it's our own feelings of inadequacy that cause us to label people negatively.

You also have to think about where you're meeting these snobs. If you're practicing lower Kenai river combat-fishing techniques on the upper river for rainbows, you're probably not going to see the best side of the fisherman whose back pocket you're casting from. I don't mean this in a mean-spirited way at all, but fly-fishing ettiquette is something that is learned from years spent on rivers and is not always easily recognized by new anglers.

There is also the simple fact that our rivers are now much more crowded than they were 15, 10, even 5 years ago. Many usually pleasant and otherwise cordial folks can get a touch "grumped-out" by the fact that their once favorite, almost secret hole now has 37 people beating it to a froth with sticks every time they sneak away from their too-busy lives to fish it.

Yes, there are some @&#hole fly-fishermen out there, but I'll bet I've met just as many @&#hole tire salesmen, it's just that I'm not in their living room, sitting in their recliner when they're ready to pop a beer and watch football on the stupid box.

Default Vests

Oh, and by the way, I've been fishing Kenai Peninsula waters successfully for quite a few years now and I still wear a vest often if it's not raining. I just like a vest, call me an elitist if you must, but my vest was a closeout for $14.95! If it's raining or snowing, I'll be wearing my Patagonia SST that cost me an arm and leg. I may look like a snob, but this jacket has kept me warm and dry 30+ days a year for nearly a decade.

Thumbs up Not most, but some

We get lots of fisherman in our little store every year..they buy licenses, some pick up a little tackle, and a candybar.. etc..
    We do shuttle service for some areas of the Kenai river, and serve serveral of the guides that work the mid river and lower river.. we rent rafts etc...
    YES... their are some folks that are premadonna jerks...
    Some think they are somehow above even talking to anyone they consider less than them... due to equipment or skill...
    But,, those are not the norm...
    I have had chance to visit with hundreds of fisherman over the years,,, and one thing I always ask them if we get trapped in a car during the ride to and from the fishery, is to tell me their story..
    What they do when not fishing,? where they are from?.. and such...
    In my most humble opinion... most of the self made men, or the hard working guys are the great ones to be around..
    the guys that came from Money,, and think life is about a chaste system are the ones that ruin it...
    We love almost all of the guides we work with,, most are humble and decent. down to earth and would do anything to help anyone catch a fish..
    Yes you can pick out the uppity jerks from a mile away..
    and that is their problem..
    Just last year we had a fellow that fished with us that is or was one of the owners of Snap-on-Tools... he has enough money to burn a wet dog. he loves to fish, and brought most all his good gear, but forgot his waders..
    I sent him out to the conex to find a pair that would work...
    he came back with a pair of $17.00 cheapy Trustworthy hardware waders..
    I told him I had better waders in there if he wanted them..
    He said.. " these look like they will keep the water out"
    and away we went...
    I bet he could buy any dude on the river... he is just that wealthy,, but he showed that he is just a great guy, that he just wants to catch a fish,, and keep his feet dry... Nothing more... He showed me that day that he had excellent fishing skill and was a truly great fisherman,, he knew his stuff..
    So,,, just stay clear of the jerks, and the know it alls..
    yes we have a few on here that have real strong personalities, but that is their problem....
    those that look down or talk trash about anouther persons gear deserve no respect...
    you can come fish with me anyday no matter what gear..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scottsum View Post
    As far as the snobs go, it seems that way in every sport or hobby when you're a newbie. I think most of the time it's our own feelings of inadequacy that cause us to label people negatively.

Whatever your age, you are wise beyond your years
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Well my take on this is that, yes there are snobs out on the river's but not as many as what it seems.

I know I can be out on the river for 6-8 hours and run across a dozen or so Fly-Fisherman as we each make our way up or downstream that are very courteous, will either stop to talk to you or make sure to give you a wide berth so as not to disturb your drift and at the end of the day those guys are mostly forgotten.

On the other hand if 1 out of those 12 guys act like a jerk I will complain about that "Snob" for 3 or 4 days, call up a friend telling him the jerks were out on the water that day, or drive my wife crazy whining about it.

Bottom Line! Don't let anyone ruin your time fishing as it just isn't worth it.

Glad you guys know what I mean. It's not about nice gear at all. Heck, I have around 7 custom fly rods and nice reels to match. Even got suckered into building a Sage...which has broken twice.... Yup, even have a pair of Simms...but prefer good pair of Cabelas. Not the point.

It's the attitude...Fishing shouldn't so competitive IMO. More and more, it seems like the "bubbas" out snaggin' are having more fun than the super-serious snobby fly-glys. I enjoy talking to folks on the stream. I'll move over and let others try a hole, or give away a fly or two that are working good. Seems like a lot more fun than the guys who just turn their noses up and wont even say hi.

There's plenty of great guys out there, be decked-out guys with the top dollar gear, or the guy with a $30 Wal-Mart combo rod and hip-boots. I just get so sick of the guys who act like they're so much better than the average guy who just wants go catch some fish and have a good time. Make what you will with it all, but in the end...its still just a fish.

Got a PM from a forum member accusing me of "selling out" a stream here in SE in the fishing forum that got me kind of upset...sorry If I came off bad in the original post. Personally, I think it would be a good thing if more average fishermen were able to access remote steams here in the Tongass.
    Nice Marmot.

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    Got a PM from a forum member accusing me of "selling out" a stream here in SE
    So you piss off one to please hundreds. Sounds like good judgement to me

We don't own the rivers or the land they flow through. Sharing it with like minded outdoorsman is a good thing. There are many who would disagree with this, but I call it good sportsmanship. I often get an opportunity to share some info about a float trip I have done with someone planning their first. It is a tough nut to crack the first time around. Which river, gear, trip timing, logistics, cost, etc... Things that will prevent many people from ever floating an Alaskan river. I remember how hard it was getting info (even here on the forum) at first. Putting Rockingham,NC on the screen did not help I feel. Even though I was living in Nome at the time. Point is, info can be hard to come by so I freely give it when I can. Chalk it up to good Karma. No way I would let some guy float a river that was dangerous, or had poor fishing, etc... when I know of a half dozen that he could have the time of his life on. No need in hoarding the good spots. Share them with others. Especially those that you think will respect and value them as much as you do. Good sportsmanship.

Like everything else in life, it takes all kinds.

Smile More issues across types than within!

I see more a separation between flyfishermen and hardware/bait throwers than I see discrimination within flyfishing.

Personally, I started out on small lakes with bobbers and worms in Wisconsin and love every kind of fishing and every kind of fishermen as long as they are courteous, generous and truthful (but sometimes I let that last one slide).

I met a gal once that had been flyfishing for nearly a decade, she had an amazing cast, tied some sweet flies, had nice stuff and more importantly she could really catch fish and enjoy it when they weren't biting too. Our only issue was that she made comments such as " flyfishing is the more evolved way to catch a fish" or "I can't stand bait chuckers" or "isn't more rewarding to catch a fish on a fly?"

These are certainly not uncommon comments among what some call purists but my issue was that she had never "evolved" from anything else. She had been taught how to fish by some elitist buddies in the Rockies and with having never dangled her toes in the water while watching her bobber, made these "evolution" comments. If anyone can say that they have "evolved" to flyfishing as a passion, it would probably be me.....but I don't, flyfishing more than spin fishing is just my choice, and I love them both.

I've been flyfishing for around 12 years and as fishing is my most near and dear hobby I have the best I can afford but not because the max money pays out. Seriously, does a 600 dollar fly rod throw three times better than a 200 dollar flyrod?...nope, definitely a threshold of diminishing returns somewhere in there. I have four fly rods that cost more than my most expensive gun but that's just my preference. I often say I have a hundred dollar cast with a sixhundred dollar rod

I guess I've found flyfishermen (the kind that fit my first description of likeable as stated above) to be very helpful. There is such a steep learning curve that many are abounding in helpfulness whether it's how to tie knots and set up a flyline to casting tips to fly tying, and even where to go (but silence is always understood in my book) because they remember when they were flailing around and feeling lost.

Those that are snotty about the situation probably aren't worth your time...at the moment I'm going to school in Seattle and have met a bunch of hardcore steelheaders lately that probably fit into the purist category and are taxing at times to talk to but....whatever. Let's just go fishin.

It does not matter if it's fishing, riding a bike, or driving a car. Those same people are going to be rude and stuck on themselves no matter what there doing. There are snobs and down to earth people everywhere. I just don't let rude snobby guides or fisherman (fly or spin) push me out of holes like I have seen way to many times.

Enough said. Just keep the beer cold. And keep them coming.

I'm not going to post because I am a snob.

NOT!! I fish often with Xanfly, and he and I have had some great conversations with folks we encounter on the river, whichever river it may be.

Xanfly said it well, when he said that the good ones are forgotten. The rude people can definitley leave a bad taste in the mouth that unfortunatley lingers.

I like to remember the good ones. We like to share information to make somebody else be more productive and possibly remember you or recognize you someday down the road.

It's not a darn contest. It's for the soul.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast