Thread: Alaska Pilot Job

Default Alaska Pilot Job

Hi Folks, My name is John. I'm first time user of any forum. Anyway for awhile now I've been interested in a flying job in Alaska. Currently I am a CFII and MEI with 1100 hours of flight time and first class medical. No Alaska time. I'm looking for job and ready to head to Alaska. Even my wife wants to go, a good thing. Any suggestions to help get that coveted flying job.
    Last edited by jwilder; 12-24-2008 at 13:13. Reason: mispelling

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by jwilder View Post
    Hi Folks, My name is John. I'm first time user of any forum. Anyway for awhile now I've been interested in a flying job in Alaska. Currently I am a CFII and MEI with 1100 hours of flight time and first class medical. No Alaska time. I'm looking for job and ready to head to Alaska. Even my wife wants to go, a good thing. Any suggestions to help get that coveted flying job.
    Yep. A Commercial ASES rating. The majority of summertime flying jobs require float time, and you already have the hours to allow your employer to insure you as a pilot.

Good Luck,

Grizzly 1

use to be you needed 500hrs of Alaska time at most outfits.
    Tim

It's not easy without Alaska time, but it can be one if you have a spotless record and the right attitude. PM me with a phone number if you want to talk about it.

I am a current 135 pilot and I know of a few full time opportunities that dont require Alaska time. pm me and we will talk.

If you don't mind working in Bethel you can probably get a job. You would generally need to talk to someone in person, either in Anchorage or Bethel. The turnover rate for pilots out there is high and you would not need a sea rating for any of that work. Jobs in Anchorage are a little more coveted, so the competition would be higher and many of the Anchorage jobs are summer only.

With your twin time you might try the commuters, too. Not exactly what most people have in mind when they think of AK flying, but it would get your foot in the door and build some AK time fast.

Before actually moving up here I would suggest visiting first, especially if you would be living or working somewhere off the road system. A friend works in Tok- it was -43 this morning.

Doug

Default Ditto

PM Maul CFI and windy, thats a huge advantage!! I came up here in '94 with 2 bags and I was determined to get flying job, and I did. If you have the wifes help, that can be a huge help and someone to keep the enthusiasm up when you have a bad day. It can be done, you just got to be persistant, and have the right attitude. You can PM me too, Just those guys might have better connections than myself at this point in time.

Default Flying job prospects for Alaska summer 2009

According to what I have heard, there are fewer Alaska flying jobs being posted for this coming summer season, partly because of the down-turn in the economy and the consequent prospect of less tourism for summer 2009. Another reason at least for south central Alaska which includes Anchorage in the middle, Talkeetna to the north, all of the Kenai Peninsula and Kodiak Island, is that the weather last summer was so lousy, that 100s of flights were cancelled. Consequently some Anchorage and other south central air taxi operators are a little gun shy about hiring more pilots than they might need. Hopefully Mt.Redoubt which has been erupting and spewing ash, will settle down soon, or that could also affect flying in south central.

Nevertheless, there are some jobs being advertised. Someone mentioned in a post above that a float rating is almost mandatory for summertime jobs. This is not entirely true. There are many more wheels-only flight operations in Alaska than there are float plane operations. Southeast Alaska does have an abundance of float plane operations and Lake Hood in Anchorage is the busiest seaplane base in the world. But there are plenty of wheels only operations in the summertime as well as some operations that fly both wheels and floats.

Without at least 200 hours on floats, you're not going to be hired by any Alaska float plane operators to fly float planes. So a fresh float plane rating won't get you a float plane job. It can however, be the means to eventually flying float planes. i.e. Get a job flying wheels for a company that flies both wheels and floats. Make yourself indispensable..., hard working, skilled, willing and able, personable etc. and eventually phase into floats on an insurance waiver.

Take a look at www.flyalaska.com for Alaska flying job information.