Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which bullets?

Default Which bullets?

looking for some input on bullet selection. accubonds, tsx, or trophy bonded bear claws. will be shooting out of 30-06 & .300 wthby in the 165 to 180 grainers. would like to hear your experiences or thoughts for shooting bears & moose

Default 06

240 gr. Woodleighs

Default either

I havent shot bears or moose with them but there is no doubt in my mind that the X bullets will do th job. I have a whole pile of them that I have recovered from deer,elk and wild hogs most recoveries come from raking shots the broadside ones keep on going, all that I have recovered retained around 98% of original wgt. They were all shot from a 22" bbl 06 handloaded to about 2500 fps for 180s not max but they shot best from my gun. great bullets.

If you're handloading, give the Noselr 180 gr E-Tips a try. They are a monometal bullet like the TSX but a little tougher and I've heard some results from them.

The last 5 animals I have shot (sheep, moose,caribou,bear and deer) up here have all been with TSX's and I have no complaints. They are inherently accurate through most of my guns too which is definately a plus. 165's, 168's or 180's which ever one your gun likes best will kill anything that walks up here through a 30 cal, if you place it where you need to.

FWIW I tried some factory 180 grain E-tips in my 300 WSM and they shot about 1.5 MOA @ 100 through a gun that almost one holes TSX's. That accuracywas not acceptable to me for that gun. Have read that many guys have had a hard time achieving great accuracy with the E-Tips too.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    FWIW I tried some factory 180 grain E-tips in my 300 WSM and they shot about 1.5 MOA @ 100 through a gun that almost one holes TSX's. That accuracywas not acceptable to me for that gun. Have read that many guys have had a hard time achieving great accuracy with the E-Tips too.
    Interesting, I 've shot both the TTSX'x and E-Tips but neither grouped well in my rifle nor did any other load I tried so that was a rifle or scope ring problem. I think I remeber Beartooth sayibg he couldn't get them to shoot well but some guys on the Long Range Hunting site had good results with them. I'm going to give hem another try when I get my rifle swapped out.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Interesting, I 've shot both the TTSX'x and E-Tips but neither grouped well in my rifle nor did any other load I tried so that was a rifle or scope ring problem. I think I remeber Beartooth sayibg he couldn't get them to shoot well but some guys on the Long Range Hunting site had good results with them. I'm going to give hem another try when I get my rifle swapped out.
    You've left Nosler partitions off your list, but if you're searching for the final nth degree of accuracy, they're worth a try. My various 06's have always really liked both the 165s and the 180s, and a wide range of 300's I've loaded for have shot better with 180s or 200s than any other bullet. I'm really satisfied with the performance of all those bullets on game including moose and bear, but I know they're not high fashion and leading edge any more. But if accurate loads and dead game are your goal, I'd let the fashion thing slide a little--- at least long enough to try the sad old partitions.

I had good results with the partitons in the past with my 7mm RM, they were accurate and I made a of one shot kills with them. The one thing I didn't like was their soft nose that always got deformed in the mag. I never recovered one, but reports I've read have said they often loose their front lead. They would be on my list but after the E-Tips and TTSX's.

I had good results with the partitons in the past with my 7mm RM, they were accurate and I made a of one shot kills with them. The one thing I didn't like was their soft nose that always got deformed in the mag. I never recovered one, but reports I've read have said they often loose their front lead. They would be on my list but after the E-Tips and TTSX's.
    I've recovered only a dozen or so partitions in 40+ years of using them, the rest doing a classic through-and-through job. I've been in on the recovery of another couple of dozen by hunting companions. A couple of mine have lost their lead in the nose, but most didn't. On a couple of more I was able to pick at the edge of the front lead and pop it loose. It has never been a concern for me, but others' concern has led to R&D and investment that has turned out more choices in bullets. Gotta love it.

As for the nose pounding, the first commercially successful attempt to deal with it that I know of was the Speer Mag Tip, which simply did away with the bit of exposed lead, leaving a small flat nose. Then along came the Ballistic Tip. I was concerned enough back before the Mag Tips that I actually cut the lead tip off a bunch of partitions in the 1960's and tried them. Very little difference in trajectory or accuracy, or from what I could tell, in performance on game. The vote is still out for me, on whether it is an issue. The E-tip kinda has my attention, but the price and reported accuracy issues have kept me from messing with it.

Lots of factors to consider and make our own calls on. The good thing is that all the questions and brain power have resulted in a bunch of bullet choices, and that's great. As far as I'm concerned the list of options is still too short.

But sorting the real differences from the sales pitches is kinda like picking politicians. I'm skeptical as can be on both counts, so very slow to pick up a new toy till it moves beyond the fad stage and proves itself over time. Doesn't stop me from testing them, but it sure slows me in jumping on any bandwagons.

Yeah, the verdict isn't out yet on the E-Tip but it sure looks like a bullet with a lot of potential. I sure hope I can get it to shoot. Another bullet that is proven is the Accubond. It looses some lead, but has proven to be accurate and a good terminal performer.

After reading some of Murphy's posts on the A-Frame, I've done a little research and they seem to be very good performers and I would probably put them ahead of the Partitions. Haven't read many accuracy reports on them yet.

For larger game i am a hard core Nosler Partition fan. They are the gold standard for premium bullets. Thr front expands and the rear stays intact to drive it home. When you get a pass through many people think that because the exit hole is not huge that the bullet did not do its job. One note about that. One is they are looking at the dead animal. The other is that the bullet expanded and folded back now the rear portion is passing through still doing damage. You really get the best of both worlds. On deer they are not my first choice but work great. BIG difference between a 180lb deer and a moose or bear! Nosler partitions are accurate as well. What more could one want. Solid copper bullets lack weight and that is what drives the bullet deeper. Partions should be a consideration for any large game!

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Solid copper bullets lack weight and that is what drives the bullet deeper. Partions should be a consideration for any large game!
    A 30 cal, 180 gr Partition weighs exactly the same as a 30 cal, 180 gr TTSX. Their SD is also the same. The advantages of the TTSX are...

- They hold to gether and retain more mass (weight) than the Partitions and therefore will penetrate better.

- They have a slighty higher BC .484 vs .474, hardly worth mentioning.

- They have a poly tip that doesn't deform.

- They don't leave lead seasoning in your burger

The only advantage of the Partitions is cost. I used to be a big Parition fan but there have been some premium bullets developed in the last few years that are IMO better, including the Accubonds by Nosler.

Check out the bullet review section on the Reloaders site. You'll find a lot of former Partition users have converted to TSX's.

Cheers,

Mark

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I am confident that the Barnes products like the TTSX are first class bullets, but I couldn’t say as I have never shot a single one, nor am I likely to ever shoot one.

In my opinion this whole “premium” bullet craze is far more sales gimmick than actual performance enhancement. It is an undisputable fact, that plain jane bullets from Hornady, Speer, Remington et.al. have killed, and continue to kill thousands of animals a year. But if you listen too many of the “gun writers” or tune into the hunting shows on TV you would have to wonder how on earth such archaic, old fashioned bullets managed to kill anything……….. Marketing hype, no doubt about it. Hooie, Hog wash, flim flam, what every you want to call it, in my opinion its 90% crapola…..

That being said, I do shoot the Nosler Partition bullets in 180 gr from my various 30-06 rifles. I don’t think “cost” is the only advantage to the partition, I think its main advantage is its performance, second being price. And for me, it is at the upper limit of what I am willing to spend on bullets.

For all but Moose and Bears I go with the 180 gr Hornady plain jane, old fashioned interlock. They shoot great, perform great and cost far less than the “premium” bullets.

Do I honestly think the Partition is superior to the Interlock? I don’t know, but I am willing to spend a bit more money for a confidence boost. Am I willing to spend even more money for a “bigger confidence boost”………………… no, not really. But if you are, then more power to ya.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    I am confident that the Barnes products like the TTSX are first class bullets, but I couldn’t say as I have never shot a single one, nor am I likely to ever shoot one.

In my opinion this whole “premium” bullet craze is far more sales gimmick than actual performance enhancement. It is an undisputable fact, that plain jane bullets from Hornady, Speer, Remington et.al. have killed, and continue to kill thousands of animals a year. But if you listen too many of the “gun writers” or tune into the hunting shows on TV you would have to wonder how on earth such archaic, old fashioned bullets managed to kill anything……….. Marketing hype, no doubt about it. Hooie, Hog wash, flim flam, what every you want to call it, in my opinion its 90% crapola…..

That being said, I do shoot the Nosler Partition bullets in 180 gr from my various 30-06 rifles. I don’t think “cost” is the only advantage to the partition, I think its main advantage is its performance, second being price. And for me, it is at the upper limit of what I am willing to spend on bullets.

For all but Moose and Bears I go with the 180 gr Hornady plain jane, old fashioned interlock. They shoot great, perform great and cost far less than the “premium” bullets.

Do I honestly think the Partition is superior to the Interlock? I don’t know, but I am willing to spend a bit more money for a confidence boost. Am I willing to spend even more money for a “bigger confidence boost”………………… no, not really. But if you are, then more power to ya.
    Right with you top to bottom and side to side.

I've never had a Hornady or a Speer fail. The only Sierras I've had come apart impacted game at very high velocity and close range. They're still dandy at longer ranges.

My biggest reason for shooting partitions is close range shooting. I seem to have a knack or maybe a preference for getting close.

And I probably wouldn't even bother with the partitions if I hadn't accumulated a whole bunch of them over the years at closeout sales when sporting good stores were pulling the plug. In fact the last 180-grain 30s I bought, I paid just $10 a box. Haven't needed any more, since I bought all 50 boxes they had on hand. Last time I remember checking I still had a little over 30 boxes of my all time favorite partition bullet, the 160 grain 7mm. Best I recall, I didn't even pay $10 a box for them.

Those good old days of great bargains are probably long gone, but I figure it's going to take my grandkids a few years to use up the last of my partitions after I'm dead and gone. And in my will I'll recommend they replace them with Hornadys, Speers, Noslers or Sierras, whichever they can find on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    Hey guys, at one time the Partition was the leading edge premium bullet being marketed by gun writers with all that crapola hype

Have a look at these users reviews

http://www.reloadersnest.com/review_...t=Barnes%20TSX

After reading some of Murphy's posts on the A-Frame, I've done a little research and they seem to be very good performers and I would probably put them ahead of the Partitions. Haven't read many accuracy reports on them yet.
    The field experience I had in my previous shooting/harvesting moose and bears with the A-frames was extraordinary. I had one moose kill with 180 Swift A's in my .300 win mag that entered through the left front shoulder, hit the second to the last rib and bounced back this way into the left ham. Now, it retained almost all the bullet weight(did not weigh it) but it sure gave me a head scratching moment trying to explain that. Distance was approx. 150yds or thereabouts.

Anymore most of my preferred bullets have fallen back to the Partitions, not only because of the 2nd's at a very good buy but they have always worked so long as bullet weight is high for the caliber.

Was way up the Chandalar one yr. and killed a young 2 yr. old bull moose but it took 2 shots. One thru the lungs but .....the jump indicated left me to believe that perhaps deflection took part and a nick so I shot again. On the run it was and behind the left front shoulder and up at the base of the head it stopped. That was with my L61R .338 win mag and the .210 Partition with NECG sights. Never used 210's again-I stick to with strong favor the 250 Partitions in all .338 win mags, just for grins

Barnes with a 15 grain increase to the 180 in the win mag is not a whole lot from the 165's, I'd just opt for the 180's. You want to try a different but an exceptionally cool design of a bullet look into the North Forks. I think the ribbed shank is highly favored and the bonding process is bar none and that round nose semi spitzer is the added touch. Spendy but a real cool.........factor.

So many good bullets but anymore I am sticking to the 24-2600fps range that any Hornyday or Speer bullet would work just as well. You on the other hand would need a "tough" bullet.

Try some tough and heavy bullets one day like 200grn and up in your win. mag-some time and some day it may prove to be invaluable.

regards,

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Right with you top to bottom and side to side.

I've never had a Hornady or a Speer fail. The only Sierras I've had come apart impacted game at very high velocity and close range. They're still dandy at longer ranges.
    X2, The last 180 interlock I recovered retained 75% of its weight. It was launched from a 30-06, and found in the far side hide of a Brown Bear. Kilt da bear, even with less than ideal shot placement. The only "premiums" I have used were partitions. They killed stuff very good, but getting hard to justify the price nowadays. Still have many 2nds loaded up though. I am sure the other premiums work well, just not sure if they are needed in a 30-06. The weatherby, probably a better canidate, dont know, never owned one.

thanks for all the responses.....pretty much been a partition user mostly too....been some great responses, & would like to hear more.....will probably see what shoots best in the gun when it's ready then stick with that.........

Smile Easy Answer 4 sure --- Narrowing the decision

Quote Originally Posted by excav8tr View Post
    looking for some input on bullet selection. accubonds, tsx, or trophy bonded bear claws. will be shooting out of 30-06 & .300 wthby in the 165 to 180 grainers. would like to hear your experiences or thoughts for shooting bears & moose
    --- You've decided on .30 cal bullets of some sort already for use in .30-06 and .300 WBY.
    a.) So it's reasonable to utilize the same 'premium' projectile for both (when hunting Moose and Bear)... no confusion, same box of ''''bullets'''!
    b.) Accuracy and performance is key out of your specific rifles... likely you'll find a 'premium' cartridge load (that'll drive whatever same 'premium' bullet) providing acceptable accuracy on paper w/ proven performance on heavier big game from both firearms.
    c.) Availability... seems more than ever true today - see what you can routinely get your hands on & what may around in years to come.
    d.) Consider practicing with what may be a far less expensive, easily obtainable, & non premium option that shoots accurately to a close POI on same POA of your "premiums".

Thumbs up Bullets.....

The 180 grain Nosler Partition has a wonderful reputation in Alaska. It was the bullet of choice for the handloaders I met in the 60's. It still is a great choice for the 30-06. Back in the mid 80's I switched to the 180 grain Barnes X for the 30-06 and 250 grain for the .338 Win. Mag. I think the Barnes X, due to it's construction, has the potential to penetrate deeper then the Partition. However, I know I could easily finish up my hunting career with the Partition. I think it is at it's best when impact velocities are under 2,900 fps. One thing I learned about bullets is the manufactures eventually change them. So about the time you find what you think is the perfect combo your running low and the bullet your using is getting hard to find. Although the Partition has changed over the years I doubt it will anymore. The Barnes X works very well for me. Not everyone shares my opinion though. I think they are a little more sensitive to how far away they are from the rifle's lands then the Partitions. Both of them, when put in the right spot provide what is needed. Deep penetration from almost any decent angle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast