Thread: Limited Draw Tag Process for Non-residents

Default Limited Draw Tag Process for Non-residents

I don't usually rant on a public forum, but this issue is just bothering me too much. Perhaps I'm not viewing it from the correct perspective:

I never had much interest in hunting as a non-resident in other states. Usually cause 1) I didn't have the needed vacation time, and 2) always lived in states with great hunting close to home. But recently I decided I'd start applying for a non-resident archery elk tag in Arizona. Just as one of those "dream" hunts of mine that maybe after 15 years I'd actually draw and send myself on a trip of a lifetime. But when I started looking into their limited draw tag process this past week, I became rather disheartened. As I understand it, and I've re-read the regs over and over, I have to purchase a general hunting license before or when I apply for a limited draw tag. OK, I can handle that. That's $151.25 for the non-resident general hunting license and $595.00 for the non-resident elk tag. Here's my problem: if I do NOT draw a tag the $595 (minus a $7 application fee) is refundable BUT the general license fee is non-refundable. So if I do not draw a tag, obviously I have no plans to hunt in AZ that year, but I'm stuck holding a general hunting license for that state (or having made a $151 donation to the state, however you want to look at it). Am I missing something? Or does anyone else have a problem with this?

I don't mean to single out Arizona, as they're not the only state with this system. Alaska does the same thing with it's limited draw tags, right? But as a resident of AK, I buy a general license anyway, so I just wanted to make my point with a state where I'm a non-resident. I have no problem with states charging more for non-residents. My problem is states charging $158.25 (AZ's license + app fee) for an applicant to basically obtain a preference or bonus point.

The states are already charging a $5-10 application fee to cover expenses of processing your application. Why do they keep your general license fee if you do not draw a tag and thus won't be hunting in that state? Perhaps a better system would be to make applicants, who were successfully drawn, submit proof of purchase of their general license before the tag was issued. Obviously the state would lose out on a bunch of money from the nonsuccessful applicants. I just look at the current system as a raw deal for non-residents. I know, life isn't fair I'm just glad I'm not living in Arizona as a non-resident.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Your one up one me....

Every year i hear people complain HOW complicated AK regs are to know i have never had a problem with it...

But i have looked at Deer hunts in AZ, ID, and WI,, and wandered out befuddled inside and out.. with the systems they use and requirements for not only the non res, but Resident alike...

so i quit looking...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Think of it as essentially buying a bonus point. You don't have to buy the license when you apply if you don't want to be issued a bonus point when unsuccessful in the draw. But obviously your chances of drawing are close to nil if you don't start accruing points.

The up front, non-refundable money is pretty common in one form or another for non-resident applicants these days. Utah, Nevada and Idaho also make you buy the license up front, and Montana, Wyoming and Colorado make you pay for your preference/bonus points.

Alaska does make a non resident have either the previous year's license of the year for which you are appying and are not refundable. So for this last winter draw, a 2008 or 2009 license was required. It can get a lot more expensive in other states though. Utah got real expensive in a hurry about 12 years ago.