Thread: Reloading for the M1 Garand

Default Reloading for the M1 Garand

I have the McCann Gas plug system and have tried it with the Nosler 180 and H4895-took out a nice blue wolf sometime back but cycling seemed hesitant in that it would not pick up a round now and again. I did not try to prove this item out if it was truly a good thing or not. Anyone here have good results with it?

Now I would like to reconsider reloading for this grand rifle once again. Have been keeping it loaded with FMJ and calling it good with the stock gas plug but......leaning towards the Barnes 165 or 168 TSX. Without the McCann thingy majig and with 4064 this time. Sectional den. around .250 and @ 2600fps would be a good thing if....accuracies is acceptable, don't know till I work it out.

Read somewhere back that its accuracies are better with the 180's but given port pressure considerations to keep it within respective ranges of operation. A variety of powders according to my Hornady manual suggests that many will do but.....history states that 4064 is the better of em all.

Any suggestions of the two said bullet weights and manufacturers and powders? I don't need to replace an op-rod etc...? Would like to use it as a hunting rifle, seems like a keen idea.

Merry Christmas

My M1, and my Dad's 2 are all still stock. I am a H4895 guy my self but I had trouble with soft cycling and had to go to a faster burn rate powder. It's been so long since I played with it I don't remember what we were loading right now and the old man has the goods down in Arizona. I will call him this evening and get the specs we used and get back here with it. The important thing is ball ammo has a much faster burn rate than 4895 so that may be some help.

Also I have had guys tell me to enlarge the gas port. DON'T! It will kill the accuracy of your gun!

BTW: I don't hunt with mine any more because the one time I did I wanted to leave that ton of iron and cord of wood in the field after about 5 hours of packing it around! I do love to play with it at the range more than any other gun I have though!

Andy

Default M1 loads

As memory surves, we know what that means, I use between 45 and 48 grains of 4064 works wonderfully with the Nosler 165 grain Balistic Tip. Make sure you use the CCI 34 primers. Normal primers may be too soft and you can get a slam fire. Only one of those and you will never forget to use the 34 primer again. Jim

8 rounds of steady and CHING! I do like that. Seating any primers in the M1 Garand is a determined moment-it is known among Garand shooters the slam fires are quite possible. Been favoring WLR primers thus far or when I have reloaded for it. Do have the CCI 34's.

Not many Garand guys here in the forum eh? I know, bolt shooters instead.

Merry Christmas

Default I've had good performance...

using Varget with loads targeted to provide velocities comparable to GI M2 loads. Much less temperamental concerning performance at temperature extremes, makes it popular with the match shooters dealing with hot weather and even hotter chambers and barrels that can make a shot string go vertical.....haven't had a failure in very cold conditions with it, either...gives really nice groups in my M1903's and M1's.
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 12-26-2008 at 05:37. Reason: .

I've been loading 47 grains of IMR-4895 with 150 FMJ bullets, which appears pretty standard. My edition of Ken Waters' "Pet Loads" indicates that the 1967 National Match load was 47.2 grains of 4895 under a 172 grain bullet. Mike Venturino writes often about how much he likes Varget in his milsurp rifles, the Garand included. I forget his favorite Garand load, but it was in a recent issue of Rifle magazine.

Lately I've been playing with cast bullets in the Garand, trying to work up a load that cycles the action safely, but doesn't result in too much pressure for the bullet. Fun stuff, and it's a whole different world than jacketed bullets in the Garand!

Mike

As Mike stated, there used to be a 173 gr FMJ that was used in the M1. The DCM used to sell them to shooters pretty cheap and I shot lots of them in one of mine.

My "in a pinch" hunting loads for my M1 are LC cases, CCI 200 primer, and 47.0 gr of IMR4895 topped with either a Nos 180 Part. or Horn 180 Spt. These loads shoot and function fine in the M1 I shoot them in.

Edit: my notes refer to the DCM bullets as 173 gr.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    As Mike stated, there used to be a 173 gr FMJ that was used in the M1. The DCM used to sell them to shooters pretty cheap and I shot lots of them in one of mine.

My "in a pinch" hunting loads for my M1 are LC cases, CCI 200 primer, and 47.0 gr of IMR4895 topped with either a Nos 180 Part. or Horn 180 Spt. These loads shoot and function fine in the M1 I shoot them in.

Edit: my notes refer to the DCM bullets as 173 gr.

As I recall the ammo nomenclature, the M1 ball as loaded with the 173 gr, which evolved from the original 220 gr 30 US loading.
    After WW1, the 152 gr M2 ball was loaded, for one reason is it had a shorter safety fan on limited National Guard Ranges, ie did not carry as far as the 173 gr bullet.

The National Match load " white box" remained loaded with the 173 gr in the 3006.

7.62 followed a similar history, the M59 load was a 150 gr flat base, the m80 ball was the 147 gr BT. M118 "brown box" was loaded with 173 gr. M852 became the match load, loaded with 168 gr Sierra MK. Both are no longer loaded, and have been replaced M118LR, 175gr SMK. The SMK is now authorized for combat use, wheras the M852 was not.

IMR4895 works good for me in the Garand with the 180 gr bullets.

thanks fellas, seems like I am not the only shooter of the M1 Garand loading 180's-thanks a bunch!