Thread: marten lift pole

Default marten lift pole

anyone using marten lift pole sets? If so I'd be interested in seeing pics of your sets. Thanks

Given what people have learned about making marten sets with some sort of box or greenhouse bucket and Conibears over the past 30 years, it is hard for me to understand why anyone would use a leg hold and a lifting pole. By far the cleanest and most humane set is a bucket set with at least a 120 double spring. Even the ordinary double spring 120 doesn't always make clean kills with neck strikes, but those Canadian modidfied ones with striker bars and 220 springs sure do!

I've been using lifting up poles with 120's & 160's for years. The ATA trappers Handbook has some good illustrations on using them. I'll dig around and see if I can find some pictures.
    Chuck

Default I use..

lift poles with 110's and leg holds. They are nice, but take awhile to get the set made, so if you are into getting sets out quickly, they aren't the one to use.

I used some lift poles last year, along with the buckets and 120's for marten, and leg holds for blind sets for mink. My kids enjoyed learning how to make them, plus the novelty of it really had them excited to go back out and check their sets. I agree with Northway, if your main objective is to get a lot of sets out then they are definitely not the ticket.

There are some people who use them because their marten won't climb either a leaning pole or the tree up to the box or bucket. Their was a gentleman on Trapperman was trapping a remote area loaded with marten. He had countless walk by's of his leaning pole sets. He switched to the buckets down low about 16" off the ground, with the swing pole and his problem was solved.

I posted this on an earlier thread, but here are a couple pics of one of mine. The second one shows how I anchor mine.

The mink above was one of eight I caught at this cross over location last season.
    Pass it on, take a child hunting, fishing or trapping.

Default lift pole

TJMEYER1, Thanks thats what I was looking for. I already have all my sets out but the marten are running past them and I'm catching them in my Lynx cubbies with the exception of a few so I was gonna try some of these to see how they work because I don't like the idea of my marten laying on the ground when using ground cubbies.