Thread: 300 Win mag- brand and bullet grain help

Default 300 Win mag- brand and bullet grain help

We were wondering what the best mid-range load for black bear would be for this caliber. My son just purchased one, and we would like to zero it in for spring hunting. Any thoughts or experiences?

sayak, my part of the country involves both species of bears ie. grizz and blackies heck even a polar bear 60 miles SE of us. The part of a mid-range load has me stumped, not sure what you mean-inexpensive factory fodder? Surely Federal 180 with Speer bullets would work, about 20 bucks. My godson who is 16 yrs. old is using them for moose and black bears.

I would opt for a better bullet personally, if you don't reload there is factory tailor made stuff out there in the 180 grain aplenty. Swift A Frames, Winchester Fail Safe etc.... that will hold up quite well whether he had to defend himself from protective sow albeit a grizz or a blackie or to harvest the common black.

I don't know if this has helped. I would make certain his length of pull is perfect for him at the least. Maybe change out the recoil pad to a Sims or a good Pach.

Merry Christmas

I bought a new Ruger Hawken in 300 WM. The best groups I get are Federal Premium 180 gr NP.

I tried Remington Sirrocco, Federal Fusion, and Winchester Accu Bond. All shot OK, but the Federal's with 180 gr Nosler Partition were by far the most accurate in my rifle.

Hope this helps.

Default 300 Win Mag

I agree with KWP, Federal Premiums in 180 grain Nosler Partition are my favorite. I have an older Remington 700 and that is all I shoot in it. Works good from deer up to moose. Have shot black bear, no grizz yet but would use the same.
    Last edited by markopolo50; 12-25-2008 at 05:14. Reason: added info

180gr Accubond for good BC and terminal results on a Black Bear or a Tip Triple Shock.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I like the 200 grain Swift-A frame, Remington Safari Grade. My Model 70 shoots them really well. It's the only grain and bullet I shoot. Great knock down. Has worked for deer-goat-sheep-Brown,Black,Grizzley Bears-Moose-Caribou.
    Try em you'll like em..

guntest.com says they are the best round available for the 300.

With a 300 WM it would be hard to go worong with any standard load/bullet 165 and up. I hunted blackies this past spring with a 7mm RM with 160 handloaded partitions and felt I had more than adequate firepower. In the 300 I would go with 180's (possibly 200's) and if I had to rank bullets they would be

1) E-Tip
    2) TTSX or TSX (which ever shot best)
    3) Accubond
    4) A-Frame or Partiton
    5) Any factory load

And of the above I would pick the one that shoots the best out of your sons particular rifle. Any of these are more than enugh to do the job on a blackie out of a 300.

Enjoy the preparation and hunting with your son.

Default barnes tsx

I wont shoot anything else. three bears down,not one took another step. I watched two bears run off never to be found after shot with swift scirraco (sp). both bears where hit with good shots but bad results. Hillbilly

Quote Originally Posted by H_I_L_L_B_I_L_L_Y View Post
    I watched two bears run off never to be found after shot with swift scirraco (sp). both bears where hit with good shots but bad results. Hillbilly
    What cartridge?

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    We were wondering what the best mid-range load for black bear would be for this caliber. My son just purchased one, and we would like to zero it in for spring hunting. Any thoughts or experiences?
    I don't currently own one but have in the past. My son-in-law uses his to the exclusion of his other rifles. A couple of other people I load for feel the same way. We've tried other bullets in all of them over the last 30 years or so, but for all around performance on all sizes of game at all ranges, I just can't find any reasons to buy and load anything but 200 grain Nosler partitions. It's never failed on anything from cous whitetail to Kodiak browns, with moose, elk, mule deer, caibou, black bear, blacktails and whitetails in between. Others might meet that record, but I can't imagine how one would beat it.

Quote Originally Posted by H_I_L_L_B_I_L_L_Y View Post
    I wont shoot anything else. three bears down,not one took another step. I watched two bears run off never to be found after shot with swift scirraco (sp). both bears where hit with good shots but bad results. Hillbilly
    I had two deer run off when I was using a 260 and the same bullet by Swift and they were 45yds and 68yds never found one of the deer but the pine tree that was right behind him caught the bullet that passed clean through him without expansion and we never found the deer.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I don't currently own one but have in the past. My son-in-law uses his to the exclusion of his other rifles. A couple of other people I load for feel the same way. We've tried other bullets in all of them over the last 30 years or so, but for all around performance on all sizes of game at all ranges, I just can't find any reasons to buy and load anything but 200 grain Nosler partitions. It's never failed on anything from cous whitetail to Kodiak browns, with moose, elk, mule deer, caibou, black bear, blacktails and whitetails in between. Others might meet that record, but I can't imagine how one would beat it.
    That makes for a true all around rifle and cartridge for you, very impressive.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

These are all good suggestions.

I have shot or seen shot with the 300 Win Mag:

180 Nosler Ballistic tip... Caribou and deer
    165 speer BT... deer
    165 Sierra BT... deer
    180 Failsafe...black bear and deer
    200 partition...deer and brown bear
    200 TSX .... deer
    150 speer...deer

---

I would use any of these except the 150 for Black bear myself. As said before any 180 would be good. The 180 ballistic tip has done very well that I have seen.

For my 300 win mag I picked up some 180 E-tips, I think these will make a good all around bullet.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I love Barnes-X in 200 grain for moose and bear.

I got tired of re zeroing my rifle everytime I changed bullets from 200 to 180. So I settled of 180 grain speer to use for everything.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default 300 rum

both bears were shot with 300 rum. First bear i watched from about 100 yards back from the shooter. he ranged the bear at 180 yards. It looked like a great hit but 1 day later and still no bear. 2nd bear i really still kick myself for not backing up my buddy. it was a bear of a lifetime. I watched thru binocs as he rolled that bear at 220 yards. bear ran 400 yards to the closest cover with a follow up shot in him. looked for two days no bear. for me 2 lessons learned always back the shooter and dont shoot bears with scirrocos. Hillbilly