Thread: 458 bullets for Ak game

Default 458 bullets for Ak game

I know I know that there has been alot of this best bullet business going on lately but I have to ask. I've made a deal to get a 458 Win here soon an I was wondering what bullets would be the best for me to load for moose an big bears up here. I kinda like the idea of using 350s for flatter trajectory and have always liked the X bullet but have not seen any in that weight just 450s. I know some of you use the 458 so I' like to hear what works for you. Thanks in Advance fellas.

The Hornady 350 gr.RN is hard to beat

THe speer 350 is a good bullet and the 300 and 350 gr TSX are also very good. THe 400 woodliegh and 400 kodiak bonded are also real performers.

Default Hornadays

I've used the 500's on everything and they do the job and are relatively cheap for shooting rocks . If you know your load ( and scope ) drop isn't a big deal .

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    THe speer 350 is a good bullet and the 300 and 350 gr TSX are also very good. THe 400 woodliegh and 400 kodiak bonded are also real performers.
    You're right. I've used the 350gr Speer Hot-Cor and it's as good as any lead core bullet out there. And you can't go wrong with the Barnes 300 & 350 either. These are as heavy as I shoot...never needed anything bigger. Since these will shoot thru a 2300lb Buffalo, I know that they'll handle anything I'll go after.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

For cheap practice, load up some of the bulk Remington 405's at reduced velocity.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    For cheap practice, load up some of the bulk Remington 405's at reduced velocity.
    I agree. And if you want to get really cheap, go with 500 grain cast. The 458 is probably the ultimate cast bullet rifle in my book. I haven't seen one yet that wouldn't shoot cast bullets at least as accurately as jacketed, and usually moreso. And with a #2 alloy, FN and gas check you can push them darned near as fast while getting reasonable expansion and outstanding performance on game.

Default Be cautious with reduced loads!!!

There are many documented instances of catastrophic "detonation" events occurring when large capacity rifle cases are loaded with reduced loads. The reloading handbooks usually carry data for reduced loads. I personally enjoy shooting the .458 with 350 grain Hornady round nose soft points at about 1500 fps, using XMP5744 powder. It is not what I would call a hunting load, and certainly not a self-defense load. Just to keep me familiar with the rifle/scope. It shoots about 2" low at a hundred yards, compared to the 500 grain bullets at 2100 fps, which is my hunting load.

My point is just that a lot of caution should be taken when considering reduced loads. Make sure your load data is verified in at least two respected publications before going ahead with it.

Anyway, the big bruiser can be a lot of fun to shoot! There is just something about those holes in a 100 yard target that you can see with the naked eye.

Regards,

Jim

Thanks guys I was looking at the Federal Cartridge co web sight and it seemed to me that the 350s had a trajectory that was very similar to the 30-06 with 180s which I am very familiar with. I dont want to shoot out to 400yds or anything but I'd like a little more reach than I get with my levergun throwing 405s @ around 2050 fps.I shot a wild pig with the lever action last Dec @ 238 lasered yds but had to hold about 8" high with 100yd zero. I was thinking moose and bears out to a little past 300,am I overestimating the cartridge. And by the way I kow a Sharps will kill buffalo at 1200 yds but I dont want 8 feet of hold over. Part of me wants to shoot 510s at everything cause I like big bullets but then again pretty much everything out of a 458 can be considered a big bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by bear_slayer87 View Post
    I was thinking moose and bears out to a little past 300,am I overestimating the cartridge.
    In my book you are, by quite a bit. Hits at 300 with a loopy trajectory like a 458 require range measurement to within a few feet, solid rests and basically no wind. In Alaska brush and typical hunting terrain you're going to be passing up a whole bunch of animals if you stick to those criteria. I wouldn't push it past about 200, and with open sights I'd probably drop it to 100.

If I want to shoot longer, I go for flatter shooting guns. I own a 458 and a 460 and I don't regard the 458 as the right gun for shooting past 200, especially at bear. The 460 can do it, but if I'm reaching long I'll use one of my 375's or a 338. There's a very good reason the bear guides I know prefer a 375 over the 458 for their own carry-- The 458 just isn't flat shooting enough when you're trying to anchor a wounded bear way out there and leaving fast. That's also part of the reason they don't want their clients taking long shots at bear with any caliber. If you wound a distant bear, it can be out of range in a few hops.