Thread: what camera for moose

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Talking what camera for moose

well this is my first post in the photo forum and you can blame my presence here on AK hippie as he spawned the idea....

so i was sitting here after reading the hunting forum... and it is always full of what gun, what bullet...

so i have to ask what camera will shoot a moose the best? do i have to use a digi? should i use film? say the moose is walking slowly to wards you?

what flash would you use to stop his charge?

are there any preferred optics when shooting a moose with a camera?

how many Sim cards or rolls of film should i pack?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Well Vince that's like talking about a 22, verses a 45-70

One 2gb sim card will take aprox. 500 pic's depending how you use it. It will also shoot vidieo from most camera's

Shooting a big moose requires a big camera -- preferably a Canon.

Some people say that a flash is likely to cause a moose to charge. But try as I may, I haven't been able to excite one even a little bit.

Seriously, I much prefer the flexibility, features, quality, and handling of a digital SLR with a selection of fine lenses, but if that is too much to think about packing around then perhaps any of the current crop of superzoom point & shoots out there. Panasonic FZ28 is the one I would recommend, but there are other fine choices. If you want a small pocket camera you might look at the Olympus WR series. They're waterproof and drop resistant.

Many ways to skin a cat. Usually dictated by budget. As Jim says, a Canon is the best camera to photograph a moose with. Seriously, the Canon 40D, currently on sale big time at B&H Photo/Video website is a great camera. And the 6.5 fps is great for wildlife photography. Anyway, the deal is, you will likely want a powerful zoom lens. This usually means using a dslr with a telephoto lens. I have a Canon 100-400 on my 40D and this combination works well for wildlife. Just depends on your interest level (and budget). But be warned, photography is an addictive hobby. Just ask Tull777 or Jim. They pointed me in the right direction last November when I got my first dslr. Now $5,000 poorer, I am still appreciative of their suggestions. Just a great hobby. No doubt about it. Below are a few images I got on the Kenai this past May. This will give you an idea of what 300-400 mm of zoom looks like. These images were all taken with the Canon 100-400 and my 40D.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Jim and Dan, I think you've been standing a little too close to the barrels of those "Canons", you're shooting - the concussion has started affecting your thought-processes!

Everyone knows that the true nature photographer sneaks up close to his subject and uses an Etch-a-Sketch (makers of Canon cameras) to capture an image of the wily Alaskan moose . . .

Other than their obvious bias towards inferior cameras, Jim and Dan hit the nail on the head.

"Hi, I'm John"

"Hi John" from the group . . .

"I have Nikon Acquisition Syndrome, and I need help"

"Welcome John to our support group" . . . and on it goes.

Cheers,

SH

Dan, those were some great shots, thanks for sharing and the $5000.00 was well worth it. Thanks again. E.S.

I have spent money on less rewarding pursuits. That is for sure

Glad you like the images. We actually just flew up for a weekend. Did a day cruise out of Seward, drove the penninsula in a rental car, etc... Being in Alaska makes it easy to get great photographs. Beauty abounds.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

Well at this point, I have no idea what to say, to put things into proper perspective.

After reading the advice. and literally falling off my chair laughing and (choke, choke).

You all, (cept one ) let the 'cat' out of the bag.. ! and everyone read right past it!!

"so & so is $5,000 poorer !"

What is your goal ? what is the purpose ? .. "is he who has the most photographs / lenses /equipment, ?? necessarily a 'photographer' that is successfull ? Well if that be the case, I just do not understand !

Let me put this into this perspective:

I purchased a 100 dollar pentax K1000 for under 100 bux.

I am hundreds of thousands of dollars richer !!

I only used one lens.

I created these images almost 30 years ago.

They still sell big time EVERY YEAR.

I guess I needED a CANNON ?????????????? where did I FAIL ??

EDucation !! The process of learning.. ... what is important !

what is true, valuable, and worth understanding and putting into daily practice.

Photography requires the use of your eyes, (seeing - composing)

photography requires the use of your imagination (how to be creative)

How did you begin TO LEARN ?? You did it by reading words.

If you cannot read, with understanding and discernment. then you need more practice to excercise your imagination !

If you cannot "see" then it is obvious, it would be extremly difficult to create an interesting image. (although in today's digital world, a blind person could get lucky.. )

I recently read a person who did weddings and bragged that at the wedding, (he was the hired photographer). He created over 4,000 images. (for one wedding).

In other words. He didn't create, he went in there with an Uzi -!!

in other words, There are only so many images that completely cover the entire wedding !!

over four thousand, explains a lot !!

A sniper is most effective: one shot - one image

using your camera as an Uzi - is going to get you no where.

Learning to see what you want. that requires your imagination. That requires some degree of creativity.

If you can't read, and if you can't see, then you have major problems !!

I see a lot of great photographs on this forum. By great photographers ! I know they can do the exact same creative process, with any camera !!

Quote Originally Posted by Majik Imaje View Post
    I guess I needED a CANNON ?????????????? where did I FAIL ??
    !![/I]

B&H has them on sale now!

Seriously man, read my post again. I did not say spending more money was "better" or made me a better photographer. It just made me poorer. You can't judge people for spending their own money.

Lets get back to helping the original poster figure out which Canon model is most appropriate for his needs.

Valentines Day 3 years ago, I was photographing a cow and calf. They were about 40 yards away when I starting shooting. The cow worked her way towards me seemingly unconcerned.... This is the last pic I took as she charged me.... I wasn't too worried about composition or style at this point .

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

Lets get back to helping the original poster figure out which Canon model is most appropriate for his needs.
    I fail to see where the original poster for this.. "needs / or wants or requested a cannon"

which camera should he use ? there are literally hundreds that will do the job.

We wouldn't want to handicap him right out of the chute by giving him a Cannon, now would we?