Thread: Best lightweight/compact sleeping bag?

Default Best lightweight/compact sleeping bag?

Having been the owner of a Wiggy's Hunter I really would like a lighter and more packable sleeping bag for sheep hunting and general backpack camping. I am a fairly large fellow at 275lb and 6'0 tall. Weight is of concern as is the pack size. Not planning the winter hunts with this bag per say, but rather the summer to mid September. Any recommendations on bags would be great. Want to explore my options before taking advantage of any Christmas sales deals.

The Big Agnes bags have a reputation for being roomy. Might be worth a look. I'm considering the 2lb Zirkel 20 down

Default AMH in Anchorage has Western Mountaineering Bags

I decided about 3 months ago to buy a new summer bag. I only like down, so that limited the search to a small extent. I finally decided that the best of the best are Western Mountaineering bags. They make bags that are specifically very roomy for their size, which was one of my main priorities. I hate feeling cramped in a tight sleeping bag. They carry the WM bags in stock in Anchorage at Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking on Spenard, and they are good folks, too.

They also carry the Montbell "Stretch" bags, which are very good equipment and about 20% less expensive. They have a stretchy feature that is a darn good idea--it keeps the bag snug around you but easily stretches to let you move around freely.

Both those brands are sure worth considering. I like the WM's the best, though.

Jim

I am 6'6" 300 lbs and finding a good bag has always been a pain. I got some Cabelas Boundary Waters bags for my float trips. Incredibly light and roomy. I think the 0 degree long was like 3.4 lbs. The regular length 20 degree bag weighs 2 lbs 6 ounces!

It packs smaller than any bag I have ever had. Lots of wiggle room in these bags too. Nothing like the previous bags I have had. I put my sleeping pad inside the bag. Easy to toss side to side without coming off the pad this way. Another nice thing, it comes with a very high quality comression waterproof bag. Also comes with a larger cotton long term storage bag. Below is a link. They are currently marked down a bit too. If they were not Cabelas brand, they would be $400+ bags. Take a look.

Mummy...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

Rectangle...

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    The Big Agnes bags have a reputation for being roomy. Might be worth a look. I'm considering the 2lb Zirkel 20 down
    I have been thinking the same thing. Before the Zirkel was released I was baffled that Big Agnes didn't have a truly light bag especially since they don't have insulation in the back. They should have the lightest bags on the market! I think the Zirkel will fix the glaring lack of an ultralight sleeping solution. I should be able to go out bag and pad right at 3 lbs for the long version of both!

I am a bit nervous about the down part but I think I may give it a shot. There was a time when I was adamant that tunnel tents were a bad idea

Default my recommendation

I've been using a Mountain Hardware "Switch 35" for several years and am well satisfied with it. It's relatively roomy for a mummy bag, incredibly light, and packs down to the size of a loaf of bread. I'm 5'9", 245 lbs, so mummy bags are never the most comfortable, but this one makes up for it by being so light, small, and warm.

(The avatar is me in the bag on a 20 degree morning elk hunt.)

More details here: http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Prod...1484&prod=2013

Default light bags

I currently have down bags by Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, Integral Designs (Barney's sells these under their name) and Valandre of France. I have had quite a few others and have used most of the "name" brands over the years.

The BEST bag I have ever used is my Valandre Shocking Blue and it is VERY roomy for me with a 48" chest, 19" neck and big shoulders and head. A long version such as mine should fit dang near anyone smaller than King Kong.

WM and FF bags ARE great, ID is simply spectacular and offers a "broad" fit that really gives bigger guys some room, but, the Valandre is in a league of it's own. I was VERY skeptical about this and then a guy in the USA sent me one to test and I was just awestruck by the design, quality and lightweight of this bag.

Try www.bearriveroutfitters.com in Utah if you want further info. on these, I can attest that the owner is a VERY good person to deal with.

REI's Sub Kilo 20* down bag in a Sea to Summit extra small waterproof compression sack. I think I paid $169 for the bag on sale. Extremely small and lightweight when compressed, and more comfortable to sleep in than I could've imagined. (The bag is listed at 29 ozs.) The fabric repels water amazingly well, too. I tested it in the sink before it ever went in my pack. There are lots of good bags available but this is the one I chose. I know guys will argue about down versus synthetics forever, but I'm a down guy. Field tested on the wettest sheep hunt in history and I'm still happy!

I popped a hole in this bag when packing for home after a fall caribou hunt. (Not wet, but colder than I expected. Still happy!) REI has self-stick rip-stop nylon repair tape that sealed the hole permanently. That tape is really good stuff!

I have no criticism of any other bags. Just feedback on the one I use.

I am a fat round guy at 5'10 and 270...big across the shoulders. The only bag that fits me comfortably for spring to fall is my Big Agnes Encampment bag. It's a 10deg bag, but you HAVE to use one of their pads to stay warm in it. I've been totally happy with my setup. The pads are some of the most comfortable I've ever slept on. You are looking at about 5# for the pad and bag combo. That is not overly light, but it's weight to comfort ratio is more than worth if for me. Besides, when you are as big as me I lose 5# in the first day of a hunt anyway.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I looked into the Big Agnes bags for a similar reason to yours. Turned off by the lack of insulation on the bottom. I would suggest anyone using one to consider using a two pad system, one closed cell on the bottom, with a inflating pad on top. That way, you have more insulation and also if the air pad fails, you are not sleeping on the cold ground.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I recently bought an REI Nooksack, 28 oz., rated at 35 degrees. It's my summer bag, and I chose synthetic over down because I've had my gear get moist a few times. I haven't used it yet, but it's very light and packs down tiny. I'd be more at ease if it were a 30 degree bag, but I figure I can wear a jacket if it gets too cold. My last summer bag was only rated to 45 degrees, and it served me down to about 35 when I was fully clothed.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I like the fit of the bag, but I'm 5'9", 155 lb, and bought a medium size.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

I'm 6'7" and 300 lbs.

I purchased a Kelty Cosmo tall for my fall SE AK bear hunt, it was perfect.

At 3 lbs 14 oz it's very packable but it surely isn't a winter bag.

KRS

I am currently packing a TNF cats meow "long" and it does pack reasonable small and is pretty darn light for a synthetic bag! My only problem with it is that it is cut narrow and is nearly form fitting for me. For me the trade off of lighter weight has been worth dealing with the tighter fit. I am seriously considering going to Down though hoping that I can get even lighter and have more room!

KRS, I am 6'5" 275lbs so I feel your pain when it comes to picking out gear!

I couldn't begin to zip a Cats Meow around my shoulders. I made the mistake of taking one on a trip without testing it first. I slept for three days with it under my armpits and I had to wear a jacket
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    KRS, I am 6'5" 275lbs so I feel your pain when it comes to picking out gear!

Carry on Brother !

KRS

Here is a decent deal on a 0 degree bag from Big Agnes that from the shoulder girth dimensions of 73" in the long is bound to be enough room for most.

Also just a great site to check every night after 9 pm cause thats when they throw the new daily deal on.

http://www.outdoordaily.com/

Default Big guys...

You need to look at the Cabelas Boundary Waters bag. 6'6" 300 lbs myself. It is a real pain finding a comfortable bag. Especially when you are trying to get a lightweight bag that packs small. These are great bags. Very nice waterproof compression bag and larger cotton storage bag come with. Mummy and rectangle available. Mummy currently on sale. I like the leg room of the rectangle. And they are warm too!

Long 0 degree rectangle bag 36" x 88" 0 3 lbs. 12 oz

what do you guys think about the military ECWCS sleeping bag?

thanks

I have friends that use them but they are really only suited for short trips or trips using some form of motorized vehicle. They are simply too heavy and bulky for many uses. If you are going in via ATV and have the room it is a fine system.

I think I found my answer after hitting every outdoors store in Anchorage. I finally settled on the Integral Designs Marco Polo from Barney's. I found out that they do custom build sleeping bags for us hard to fit large fellows. I placed an order for my bag to be built to fit my wide shoulders. Should be in after about 5 weeks. I will tell you how it goes. Looks pretty promissing and the price is not much more than squeezing into one of the other bags. Besides that the customer service at Barney's was far better than REI and AMH. Great shop.