Thread: Wild Chickens & Cuties

Default Wild Chickens & Cuties

When butchering a downed animal such as caribou, moose etc. I have always worn rubber gloves, due to biting insects & easy cleanup and not in fear of cuties.

I know that when skinning varmints, one is wise to wear gloves as not to catch any creepy crawling disease.

However, for years I have hunted and de-breasted many ptarmigan and grouse with no thought to put on gloves. This year I had the opportunity to hunt with several other fine hunters who seem to be a bit squirmish and insisting on wearing gloves while handling the birds. They offered no advise when seeing me without and I did not ask why they glove up. I really didn’t think about it much till I saw another group of hunters I did not know “glove up” to take care of their bird kills. I wonder if they “glove up” to handle the meat prior to cooking?

Am I missing something- Am at risk for catching some cuties or are others just being too cautious.

Default I thought you were saying Cuteies...;) :p

but it's Cooties...your afriad of when you skin & gut varmints...as far as gloving up with birds, I am sure the hunters are worried about bird lice & what not...

I'm not a bird hunter per say but I would guess it may have something to do with fear of the H2N1 virus.

Default Hummmm....

I dont know what kind of cuties you would catch by wearing gloves, but there sure are some nasty "cooties" out there.... but then you could be in real trouble if you caught a cootie from a cutie! <grin>

Sorry! I couldnt resist.

Debbie

H2N1 with waterfowl yes but upland birds I don't think I would worry about it. I do know a little about it. I have even sampled a few birds my self.

Default "Cooties" it is :-)

I’m surprised that the correction of my English writing have been mild and with some humor. That’s cool……..Cooties it is. My day job is nowhere near a computer thank god!!

Anyway, I appreciate the replies- I did not realize that bird lice could be a problem.

I wonder if the lice are a problem for retriever dogs- Or should I ask- Can I get “Cooties” from my dogs after they chase down the birds?

Default birds

I am no expert, but I have cleaned lots of birds, pheasants and grouse growing up and hunting in south dakota. Granted the birds are abit different. Myself or anyone I know has never been concerned about diseases or mites/lice from game birds. I am not aware of any "Cooties" that can be caught from them. We have never used gloves, but now you guys have got me thinking, maybe I should be?

Default birds

I've handled hundreds of grouse/ptarmigan in my years up here (had spruce hen for dinner last night!) and have yet to wear gloves. Like was mentioned, the only cootie type critters I have seen on birds have been on waterfowl. I don't think the grouse/ptarmigan are carrying anything that will hurt you. Just watch out for the ones that are foaming at the beak!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I've never had any problems with cooties on upland game birds or waterfowl for as long as I've been bird hunting. 30+ years

With grouse if you lay them on thier back and stand on the wings and pull on the feet then after that all you have to so is pull out the craw and backbone. You don't handle the bird that much. Only works on warm birds though.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Default gloves

I never wore gloves for birds either but I always wear them for rabbits. Perhaps they are being cautious about the avian flu?

Ok, thanks for all the replies. I guess I wasn't missing much and probably still won't wear gloves on the grouse and ptarmigan.

I too have been removing the breasts by stepping on the wings & pulling the feet. I still get a little bloodied but it is simple that way.

I love Ruffies and the spruce are pretty good until mid Oct.. Later in the yearif done right. ptarmigan are good too.

You all noticed how big they are this year. Lots of berries kept them fat.

Default bird lice

Many years ago I was a wildlife biologist and as I remember, lice of all types are VERY selective of there host species. You are susceptable to catching some mamalian lice but I don't think you have to wory about avian lice. These little critters have evolved very specifically designed appendages to attach the their hosts fur or feathers or even scales(yup there are fish lice too) and if you don't have feathers I think you are safe from the bird lice. Don't take this as gospel but I have never worried about it.
    Bruce