Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tent Living

Default Tent Living

I've seen some recent discussion about tent living on this board lately that got me thinking about my place in this current economic mess.

If things go real bad in the markets rather than rebound like the "experts" say, I may only have enough money for an acre or two on the road system, hopefully a foundation and floor, a wall tent and a well.

Would anybody hastle me if that was the only shelter I could afford to put up for my first season?

You should read a book by my friend Donna called Waltz with Me, Alaska.
    http://www.amazon.com/Waltz-Me-Alask...0075646&sr=8-1

It's her story of living in a tent for a winter. Unlike the synopses on Amazon though, they didn't exactly live "happily ever after."
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

You can live inna tent and most will respect you greatly for your way of living.
    Alot of people start out here in tents.

Its good seeing people doing it "Their way"

"Think Liberty"

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    You should read a book by my friend Donna called Waltz with Me, Alaska.
    http://www.amazon.com/Waltz-Me-Alask...0075646&sr=8-1

It's her story of living in a tent for a winter. Unlike the synopses on Amazon though, they didn't exactly live "happily ever after."
    Looks like a good read... however I'm looking toward the Kenai pen. for my first place, thus extreme cold won't be as much of a concern. As I'm not stupid or crazy, if it's time to pack it up and rent a place for winter I can do so... as for bears, an electric fence and a sidearm should take care of that. Remember, this is a last resort option if markets tank, jobs go away, and options are few... could somebody chime in? Is a tent on private property O.K. up there... or would someone hastle me?

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    You can live inna tent and most will respect you greatly for your way of living.
    Alot of people start out here in tents.

Its good seeing people doing it "Their way"

"Think Liberty"
    Thanks for the input stranger... The pic's of village life are beautiful and it's great to know there are still places in this country people can truly be free... are road system comunities the same?

Road communities have a different feel then bush communities.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

I am not too familiar with living on the pen. There are plenty of areas up here that are tax free. If you are going to be buying property and doing the tent thing then I would think that not having to pay property tax would be a big bonus! I would also recommend a real canvas wall tent or some military style tent. I would steer clear of any of the cabelas nylon tents no mater how big they are! I stayed in an Alaknak at -30 and even with the stove cranked it was not a pleasant experience!

are road system comunities the same?
    No. We are friendly enough and you still have freedom. Money is the real obstacle. It costs money to live here, even in a tent.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Thanks all

I know I will be living in a tent while I build my place... I'm just hopeful that I can complete it in one season and not have to prolong the tent living... as for tent quality I'll go for the canvas outfitter style wall tent w/stove... as for $$$ thank you for your concern, but it has been my experience that a (relatively) young back that isn't afraid of work can always make a buck or two, anywhere.

Maybe some of you folks have been up there too long and don't realize how much better you have it from a strictly "don't starve" standpoint. If jobs go away and assets evaporate you folks will be eating much better than most of us... with your abundant hunting and fishing and all. Thanks again.

Nobody ever did answer whether Jon Q Law is going to pull up in the driveway talking about "permanent structures" and "occupancy permits" and the like... is that a concern?

In Tents? Common.....

What permnent strcture? Thats the beauty of tents!

You can ROAM!!!!
    you can set up and pull down in a short ammount of time and move to the next camp, fishing spot, hunting spot...its a great way to go.
    Heres a paper clip of my wife.

The wifes cousin Jeff's pole and tarp summer tent.

In winter I use a 10 man Arctic squad tent, 70 lbs without the liner (another 35# but thats fairly light for canvas) witha built in stove pipe hole, a liner and one pole up the middle. Fairly cheap, and you Can button two together.

Default Tents OK

No one will give you any trouble as long as you are not trespassing.
    If you live in one of the cities they may ordinances, but out in the borough you can live in a 55 gallon drum if you like..
    We had a new teacher from the lower 48 ( Chicago ) one year move in behind my place in a house, and she used to buy firewood from me..I was over delivering wood and She told me that she had been invited over for dinner and to visit a family of a student she had her class at school..
    She said,,
    " can you believe they do not have running water, their electricity is only when they start this little generator. they do not have and inside toilet, only wood stove, and they don't have a car that is running, and they use a coleman lantern most the time for light to do homework?"
    I said "yeah,, so whats the problem?"
    She said " What is wrong with you people up here? in the lower 48, a state agency would come in and take your children from you for living this kind of lifestyle".
    I asked. " Is the little girl doing ok in school?"
    "Yes, surprisingly she is one of the best in my class". she said
    "Was the home clean and was the meal OK?" I asked.
    "Yes it was,and the food was excellent .. but it was very small and they only had hanging blankets up to separate the areas so they could change clothes."
    "Well, you are a long ways from Kansas Dorothy". I said...
    The funny thing about this was..... that this young lady that came up here to teach, left for where she came from during Christmas break.and when She came back just after the new years , she had a friend in tow. Her lady friend was sporting one of those crew cut haircuts and had shoulders like a linebacker..
    One day I was out shoveling snow off the roof of a camp trailer, and I heard a women crying,, then I heard anouther women yelling, and then soon enough her came the little school teacher walking down the road crying,, coming towards my place... behind her came hustling up her lady friend... telling her to get her butt back to the house.... They were having a lovers quarrel. The teacher put up some resistance so the husky one went to dragging her around... anyway.. they did not know I was only 30 yds away watching from the roof of that trailer.. I finally hollered at them..
    " Everything ok down there?"
    Well.. the "crew cut" took off for the house..and the next week she was gone....
    anyway.. the next time I took wood over the house I asked the school teacher if her attitude about the folks in the little cabin had changed?
    She looked at me and said,,
    " I judged others for their lifestyle and forgot to look at my own"
    That was her first and last year in Alaska... she left that spring and never came back...
    Here is my advice...
    If a man is having car problems and he is trying like heck to push the car off the road.. then any man worth his sand will stop and rush to help that man get the car off the road and help him if he can..
    If a man is having car problems, and he pops the hood and then turns on his flashers and then climbs back in the car waiting for someone to come push him off the road and give him assistance... then he deserves no help.
    Any man that will do what ever it takes and is willing to work hard and be honest will do well in this country...
    the cream rises to the top..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Great story... I think I'm going to like Alaska just fine (hopefuly it'll be mutual).

Thanks for your help.

Thumbs up Lived in a tent...

We lived in a tent for four months while we were in the process of building our home and hangar.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=22431

That's the start of it. We are living in our apartment now, but I have never gone back to update this thread. I probably should.

We lived in the tent for a good 4 months until moose season came along and I couldn't handle being out in the cold any longer. My blood was still pretty thin back then.

I really enjoyed it and this year I chuckled with my husband and told him that we should put the tent back up so that my parents could stay in our room for the summer. We would then be living inside a tent again. Well... we left the tent up for the winter last year and the pole bent and ripped the thing in 1/2, so this year before moose hunting season, I went ahead and sewed it back up for the husband to use for his hunt. The tent is ready next year if we so choose to live in it for next summer.

It's definitely possible to live out in it during the winter, but I honestly don't believe that I can withstand the 40 below weather out in the tent. We used it for what we needed it for. We built our place, got most of it done, moved in downstairs in the 2 rooms and lived closely and quaint as I built my business and waited on my husband to get the remainder of our construction completed.

I am happy to say that things are definitely closer to being completed, but the tent living was one of the most memorable times that I have EVER had living here in Alaska so far. That year, we were able to have countless moose cross through our front yard, heard and heeded many bear warnings, and even got to view my first lunar eclipse. I learned a great deal of patience that year and I'd go back to tent living without hesitation or reservation.

Funny looking back at that. It was when I first joined this board and the way for me to get on the internet was through a vCard next to my cell phone to get service in order to post on this board.

Man on man... good memories.
    I loved tent living.
    Lurker.

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

The kenai pen, is one of the best places to go.
    If funds are limited and you like to fish you will never go hungry.
    Theres lots of work for people who want to work. In the summers theres alot of seasonal work and if it gets real bad there is about 5 cannerys....
    There is alot of people who live there all summer in tents they have alot of campgrounds. and most all the loundrymats have showers.
    I upgraded, i work there all summer guideing fisherman every year. I went from a tent to a small camp trailor.
    The wall tents they make nowdays are great I have five of them for our tent camps The best place i have found to get them is davis tent and awnings http://davistent.com/ they will make it how ever you want it.
    options that i think you cant go without in alaska. Doors with zippers in front and rear with bug screens.. Window with screen on opposit sidewall of woodstove. A 6inch woodstove jack. If you build a floor for it make the floor 4 ft longer in front and back.
    that way you have a small deck on the front and storage on the back.
    dont buy the frame they sell a kit with all the elbows and will give you a cut list for the inch and a half pipe the cost will be a third. also they have adapters for the deck and the storage area in back. i just use a tarp for them works great..
    Ive had two ft of snow on the tents themselves with no problem.
    If a guy had to they have insulation kits for the winter.. Dont buy
    one of there wood stoves get a good one here........
    I could live in one of mine i have a small genorator, lights freezer
    (for the fish)
    There is a guy up here that makes the electric fences just for bear protection. I have frends from fish and game that use them and they never had a problem....
    I know this thred wasnt about tents but i thought it might be of interest..
    I shopped here in alaska for tents i ended up buying all my stuff from davis
    and made all the frames from there cut list i got 5 tents for the price of 3 up here and saved about 1500 cash buy makeing the frames......

How would one of these work for LONG TERM and WINTER tent living?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-Military-Su...3A1%7C294%3A50

Quote Originally Posted by andrew cochran View Post
    How would one of these work for LONG TERM and WINTER tent living?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-Military-Su...3A1%7C294%3A50
    It might keep the ravens off the body for a couple of days.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

?????
    I couldnt find 10 man squad tents for sale, they must have all gone to Iraq....
    Those shelter halfs are good for hunting, and travling in summer, and as a sled tarp in winter, but your sure tosuffer, living in that....LOL!
    http://www.alaskatent.com/products/tents/wall_tents.htm
    Check out a Wall tent. Wanna stay all winter, put a 12X14 inside of a 14X16 and you will be as snug as a bug.
    this is "shelter" and in any form , is never cheap. A couple Canvas flys, and your set basicly. A wood stove is a must, as well as some form of light. You Can buy them when you get here, and make improvments yourself..
    great to use while scouting and camping, and while you build your place.

I looked for big squad tents everywhere and they had noda. I guess I'll settle for a couple of wall tents like you said.

Stranger, your post was the first i've seen about a double tent set up. I spent a few winters in a 14 x 16 on a frame with a 10 x 12 set up inside. Wood floor, and pretty comfy even at -60. Burn lots of wood though, and pretty dark inside too. I enjoy your posts and pictures. Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast