Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 257Wby Called Me Out Of The Woods

Default 257Wby Called Me Out Of The Woods

I was so cold this morning and the wind changed and started blowing from the wrong direction. So I got up and went to the Wardens station (he is a friend of mind) and ask him what was the best place since there has been so much logging going on. He showed me three places and two are awesome, covered with sign and I will be hunting them this weekend. Also showed me a cut over that is about 610yds across and said he has seen bucks just now start moving the does and that my 257Wby would be perfect for that cut over. I sure hope this year gets better. This year to date I have only seen three does. So I thanked him and turned to go back hunting when at that moment my cell phone starting vibrating.

Yes, the gun shop called me and said my 257Wby had arrived. The 257Wby called me out of the woods. I went straight back to town and picked it up. I will be at the range in the morning shooting the reloads I have already made up and will know what pill to put in it for this weekend.

Here is the 257Wby Accumark and the Leupold VX-III 2.5-14X50mm

Will post results of tomorrow morning at the range tomorrow afternoon.
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Fine looking shooting stick you got there, beartooth. Even tho it's a WBY.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Fine looking shooting stick you got there, beartooth. Even tho it's a WBY.
    Thank you for noticing anyway Kingfisherktn
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I guess you Wby fans are all alike, my son has a .340 Accumark and I think he is in love with it.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    I guess you Wby fans are all alike, my son has a .340 Accumark and I think he is in love with it.
    Yes, we do love our Weatherby's. I was in the woods this morning with my Mark V Custom 30-06 before I got the call that my new 257Wby Accumark was here.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

The Leupold is not a 2.5-14, my mistake, it is a 4.5-14x50mm
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Nice looking rifle there. Is that a new 257 or the one listed in your signature? Also, if you don't mind me asking, where do you live that you can still rifle hunt? All our rifle seasons are closed now and the depression is setting in .

gary

Quote Originally Posted by 8nbait View Post
    Nice looking rifle there. Is that a new 257 or the one listed in your signature? Also, if you don't mind me asking, where do you live that you can still rifle hunt? All our rifle seasons are closed now and the depression is setting in .

gary
    This is a New Accumark that I had ordered for a while now and it is the one represented on my signature. I put the Accumark on the signature instead of the 257Wby Mark V Synthetic I use to have.

I hunt in Mississippi and our rifle season starts Nov 18th and ran till Dec 1st and picked back up again the middle of Dec and runs until Jan15th then primitive picks up again and goes to Feb 15th.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

It gets cold in Mississippi?

I parked my butt on a 5 gallon bucket at 5:45 AM one morning a couple of weeks ago and didn't head back to the truck until after dark that evening. The temperature was 5 degrees and the wind was out of the northwest at 30 mph gusting to 45. Yup brain worms....there can be no other explanation. Are deer really worth it????? Mmmmmm yup!

Back to your new toy. I have a buddy that has always had a 257 Roy in the truck whilst chasing coyotes. Occasionally we spot one curled up in a ball dreaming about rabbit fur in his dung pile. I have seen this particular 257 roll em out of nest from close to a half mile. I think you got just the right tool for them skittish deer who think the can gawk from way out yonder! Let us know if ya kill one!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post

I parked my butt on a 5 gallon bucket at 5:45 AM one morning a couple of weeks ago and didn't head back to the truck until after dark that evening. The temperature was 5 degrees and the wind was out of the northwest at 30 mph gusting to 45. Yup brain worms....there can be no other explanation. Are deer really worth it????? Mmmmmm yup!

Back to your new toy. I have a buddy that has always had a 257 Roy in the truck whilst chasing coyotes. Occasionally we spot one curled up in a ball dreaming about rabbit fur in his dung pile. I have seen this particular 257 roll em out of nest from close to a half mile. I think you got just the right tool for them skittish deer who think the can gawk from way out yonder! Let us know if ya kill one!
    Great stuff, fun to read man, yes hunting deer is worth it. I promise I will let you know if I cap one. I have till the 18th of Jan to get it done and I really like doing it. Sunday evening and Monday morning ought to be good days as I hunt one of the spots that my friend showed me today. Also this Friday might be interesting about 30 foot up in a tall yellow pine looking over a 600yd cut-over. Tomorrow morning early will tell what load I should be able to get away with hunting with the 257Wby. I am trying out five different 100gr loads.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I was wondering that too? Last Sat I shot a cow elk at -10, 3 miles back and Sun I quartered it at 0 temp with 20 - 30 winds and drug it out

Of course these Alaska guys are thinkung we're in the banna belt with our zero degree temps.

Great looking new toy Beartooth. That would be an awesome antelope slayer. I'm sure you really, really needed it

Default That's a beeuuuteeful...

... rifle there Beartooth. But I noticed your shrine was missing a few votive candles on the rustic altar.

gary
    No, no thier not. Garrett? Washington? Fredrick? Worcester? Dorchester? Alleghenny(sp)Maybe even a few more? Those are off the top of my head with no book handy. Try reading it.

Basically everything to the west and everything to the east, are open to rifle. And then, then you can even chose species, Sika or W-T.

Does it get any better? End result, read the reg's in the book. No, you cannot shoot a rifle in a county with 1.3 million residents. But have a look everywhere else!!

8nbait, maybe I read your location wrong (MD), willing to be corrected, after all, I was married once.

gary
    OK, afterb reading your post a second time, I think you may be lamenting only a 2 week season. Really? How long have you lived in the mid-atlantic region? Get a grip, this aint Georgia or S. Carolina. What do you expect?

In 2 weeks I saw in Dorchester county, 12 Sika and 5 W-T.

All you have to do is research and try.

The metro areas have VERY liberal bags and seasons, take up the bow if it troubles you.

As I said I would, I went to the range this morning to get a load ready for hunting this weekend. Now that is really something to accomplish when you have only 6 loads using 6 different powders with the 100gr TSX and all 6 loads are 1% under max recommended by Barnes and at the same time guessing at the OAL 3.133" from past experience with the 257Wby. Plus doing all of this knowing I only have a 2 hour window with weather this morning to try and come up with an accurate load that is at least 3600fps or above so I can go hunting.

I used MRP, RL-25, RL-22, IMR7828, IMR4350 and H4831. Now all 6 loads were under 1.169" and MRP being the fastest at 3620fps and also the largest group. IMR4350 was to slow 3355fps but .968" and H4831 a little faster 3424fps and was .924". RL-25 was 3604fps and .845" but it's extreme spread was to great.

Here were the two that preformed the best:

First, IMR7828 was 3608fps with an extreme spread of 11fps and three shot group size was .427"

Second, RL-25 was also 3608fps with an extreme spread of 9fps and three shot group size was .414"

Well, all I have to do is pick one and then load them up and go shoot three to make sure scope is sighted in at 100yds.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

The second target and chrony reading was RL-22 not RL-25
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Not bad shooting there Beartooth but it would really sadden you if you saw the 100 grain TSX groups my el cheapo stainless Rem 700 shot with factory fodder!...grin

Now get out and kill somthing with that thing, maybe even get some blood on the gun itself...its too purty! (if you like Bee rifles)

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Not bad shooting there Beartooth but it would really sadden you if you saw the 100 grain TSX groups my el cheapo stainless Rem 700 shot with factory fodder!...grin

Now get out and kill somthing with that thing, maybe even get some blood on the gun itself...its too purty! (if you like Bee rifles)
    Will be hunting Friday, Sunday evening and three days next week and 3 days the following week. Hope to show something for the effort. Once hunting season is over I will develop an accurate load for the 257Wby.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

AlaskaCub, I will be using the TTSX instead of the TSX for my accurate load development. I will start working on an accurate load with a velocity above 3600fps and with a very small extreme spread.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast