Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22lr or 22mag for ptarms?

Default 22lr or 22mag for ptarms?

I have been doing some research on different 22 pistols for packing on the snowmachine. I plan to mount a small scope on it. I really like the ruger MKII and III's and leaning that way at the moment. I am curious though if I would be better off looking at some of the convertable revolvers to have the option of the 22 mag.

My main question is.
    For hunting situations with a scoped pistol is shooting a 22 mag really that much more accurate than a 22lr?

Well I don't think I would get a 22mag. I think the cost far out weighs any benifits. Unless you are a very good shot and don't need to pratice with it a lot, I would go with the 22lr. I know I have to shoot just about every week to keep in practice with my hand guns.

Quote Originally Posted by MAN View Post
    I have been doing some research on different 22 pistols for packing on the snowmachine. I plan to mount a small scope on it. I really like the ruger MKII and III's and leaning that way at the moment. I am curious though if I would be better off looking at some of the convertable revolvers to have the option of the 22 mag.

My main question is.
    For hunting situations with a scoped pistol is shooting a 22 mag really that much more accurate than a 22lr?
    In the convertible Rugers I've owned over the last 40+ years, the LR was always more accurate than the Mag.

Chickens are tuff but they are one of the game critters you don't need a mag for.With the convertables the bores are made for the mag bullet which is a little bigger than the 22LR.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    With the convertables the bores are made for the mag bullet which is a little bigger than the 22LR.
    Agreed. But from what I've seen the 22lr's obturate just fine, while the mags suffer from inconsistent burns. Chrono the mags and they're all over the place. I've probably owned over half a dozen of the convertibles, and all of them grouped tighter with the lr.

If I was going for a mag, I'd get a Smith with a min 6" barrel.

Default thanks guys

I think I will just look for a 22lr and not worry about the 22 mag at this point. It sounds like I don't shoot pistols enough to truly be able to tell the difference and if I would be sacrificing accuracy in a convertable then it is not worth it.

I wonder how the new Hornady spire point .22 mag would stack up...?

Quote Originally Posted by Oneriver View Post
    I wonder how the new Hornady spire point .22 mag would stack up...?
    Won't know till you try. Let us know if you do. I'm real interested for sod poodle shooting in the Southwest with a rifle, but I doubt I'll be spending money on them for a revolver.

Ptarmigan die easy with a 22, and I sure wouldn't want do a body shot with a mag, even out of a handgun. Course I don't want to do body shots anyway.

Default 22lr

I have a Ruger MKII that has a 'red dot' site on it just for this type of hunting. During the 'normal' hunting season it stays in my day pack. During the winter it rides in a bag on the handle bars. Not need for the 22 mag. I also carry a Savage 22 mag over 20 gauge for fox and such.

Brown Bear I agree the 22mag was built for rifles and untill you get to longer barrels on pistols the LR is faster. To much powder is wasted between the cylinder and forceing cone and like you say each rounds has a different life

i have shot my share of grouse and bunnies with my browning buckmark micro and like .22 long rifle solids as much as the hollow points. my informal testing with remington "gold" .22 hollow points were very good w/ little meat damage.

cci stingers were (for me ) the most inaccurate, and damaging.

my .22 mag experience was limited to the ruger single six, which shot well but wasn't an improvement over the ranges where i use a handgun. also too expensive.

a scoped rifle is a different story......but expense and AVAILABILITY are still an issue.

stick to the .22 long rifle!

happy trails.
    jh

Personally, I've never liked the triggers on Ruger semiautos and I would never buy a .22 mag., they make ny ears ring for hours after just a few rounds? But, to each his own, you'll have to make a choice based on what you like and need but, I would interject this thought, a revolver will shoot any ammo you can find and even shot shells made in .22LR? My choice would be a S&W K22.
    Steve

Last edited by S.B.; 12-24-2008 at 07:53. Reason: added picture

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    i have shot my share of grouse and bunnies with my browning buckmark micro and like .22 long rifle solids as much as the hollow points. my informal testing with remington "gold" .22 hollow points were very good w/ little meat damage.

cci stingers were (for me ) the most inaccurate, and damaging.....
    When I was in college in California I would go jackrabbit shooting in the Bakersfield area. The Stingers were the only 22 LR round that would knock them down the first time, and I stocked up on them.

Then years later my brother and I went snowshoe hare shooting. I was using the stingers. They were ruining the meat. In fact, I hit one at a range of just 10 yards in the spine, and the virtual explosion of bullet and bone literally blew the hare in half.

I've never used them up here again. I've gone to Remington Vipers, a hyper-velocity, truncated cone bullet. It has about as much velocity as you're going to get out of a 22 LR for range and wind bucking, but the bullet won't blow bunnies and birds into vapor.

I have a Ruger MKI target with scope and it will easily dust bunnies or ptarmagin to 50yds. The k22 S&W is also an excellent choice and can use a wider variety of ammo, LR, shorts or shotshells. The Rugers do need a little trigger tuning but they are about half the price of the Smith and much easier to find used. The 22 lr is plenty of power for what you are hunting and in pistol lenght barrels the mag doesn't give much extra power if any. Most 22lr guns are quite acurate if fed ammo they like. I would start with the cheaper promo ammo and see if you can find one that your gun will shoot good enough to suit you and then buy a case or two and practice. I find the Blazer and the cheap Remington to be good in most of my 22s. I am lucky enough to have a k22 as well and if one had to go it would be a very hard decision. The Ruger is very accurate and reliable with almost any ammo and the Smith is everything a good revolver should be. Good luck with your choice, but stay away from the mag.

You, surely, haven't check Ruger prices, lately. Not much difference in prices between the two until it comes to reselling? Ruger + trigger job + action work = S&W.

Whichever you like best.

I don't think that the "extended range" of a mag benefit a snowmachiner. He will either be able to close on his quarry, or, he will be out of range.

I don't think I'd pay more for one of the birds.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

I'd go with the .22lr and call it good. It you think you need a harder whack, load up with CCI Velocitors.
    Now what ?

Or Stingers?
    Steve

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    I'd go with the .22lr and call it good. It you think you need a harder whack, load up with CCI Velocitors.

Or Stingers?
    Even though I'm wanting to switch from an auto to a revolver, the nice thing about the auto is that one can carry it on a snowmobile with a magazine of Stingers in case one comes upon a fox, and if the bunnies or birds are found, the magazines can quickly be switched to a less damaging round.

while the revolvers are more versatile with various ammunition choices, i think it is a non issue as i seldom (read never) shoot .22 shorts. i did try shot cartridges in my single six, but found it wouldn't kill a sick hummingbird! at 20 ft a moose could run through the shot "pattern".

as you can tell....the .22 auto is for me. the fast ignition time allows for good accuracy, and the trigger is better. easy to tune as well! 10 fast shots on bunnies or slow fire on birds, the choice is yours.

happy trails.
    jh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast