Thread: august valdez trip

Default august valdez trip

Hey guys, new member to the site. Seems like a great site.
    I am planning on a trip this august the first two weeks of the month in valdez. I am going with somone who has fished their 3 other times and has nothing but good things to say about the area. We are planning on 2 halibut charters and was wondering about some of the better guides in the area and also we are bringing up my boat, a 18ft yar craft with a 60hp and was wondering if there are any spots to catch halibut not 100 miles out.I'm not asking for a spot just some help as in am i wasting my time there fishing for halibut or can they be had.Would settle for chickens if i could get em. The guy i'm going with thinks we'll catch rockfish and silvers since they did last year but couldn't find any butts. Thanks in advance!

Default silvers/buts

2nd week of august is a great time to be in Valdez, my favorite actually. You should have no problems picking up silvers and rock fish also pretty easily. People can and do catch halibut in some of the closer bays, Jack's and Galena, but your odds aren't nearly as good of course. I hear of people hitting an 80-100 lber out of them though about every summer. I would be VERY careful though and watch the weather, a 60 hp is not going to get you back real fast if the weather turns. You'll want to watch the forecast for the Valdez arm, narrows, and port before you go for it. Maybe try to do your charter trips first and when you head out of the narrows ask your charter captain to point out those bays, you'll go right by them as they'll probably run tatitlek on the way out so you'll have an idea of how far they are and what they look like. Bring good rain gear and have fun!

Cody

Default oh and

Where are you in NoDak? My wife is originally from Minot/Surrey and I'm from SoDak, Spearfish on the west side in the black hills.

Cody

Default I have caught

I have caught one 140+ pound halibut in the port 2 years ago. Last Sept. 15th (pulling shrimp pots) I came upon a guy waving at the boat. We pulled over and he had on a large halibut and too small of a boat. We dropped of one crew member and backed the boat away. It was too rough to stay any closer. The fish finally landed and weighed in port went 160+ pounds. And yes, it was before reaching Potato Point.

They are around. You have to maybe fish longer. Mine took 15 minutes to catch.

Silvers should be reachable. Pinks will probably be heavy and mixed in. There are rockfish but I have never done well until Potato Point and farther.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I live in underwood nd now from bismarck nd my wife is from rapid city sd.