Thread: Drahthaar Puppies from Germany

Default Drahthaar Puppies from Germany

I just thought I would put a note out here for anyone potentially looking to get a versatile hunting dog this year. A breeder from Germany has 2 male Drahthaar (German Wirehaired) pupís available as of today. I will be getting a female on January 2nd. They come from a solid stock with both parents scoring prize 1 in the VDD-GNA program. The VDD-GNA is very much like the NAVHDA but specifically established for the testing of the Drahthaar. His price is 550 Euros or approximately $770 USD at todayís exchange rate. If you think you might be interested in getting more information on these pups feel free to PM me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thats a great price good luck with your Drahthaar, one of these days I will get a normal job and be able to properly train one up.

Cute looking pup. I'll second the good price assessment. I'm interested in how the shipping or even better, trip to Germany, works out for you. Hopefully you will post a story. Congratulations on finding a pup!

Default female

I have a female almost 2 years old and I would love to have a litter. She is more of a pet to my kids than a hunter but she will chase rabbits for me and retrieve birds. I have the German papers that came with her. Questions?/

Bill Booth
    Palmer
    745-5464

Default Drahthaar

Quote Originally Posted by 2jumpersplease View Post
    Cute looking pup. I'll second the good price assessment. I'm interested in how the shipping or even better, trip to Germany, works out for you. Hopefully you will post a story. Congratulations on finding a pup!
    Not much of a story to tell. Once the I decided on the dog it was just a matter a getting her to Anchorage. The breeder lives just outside of Frankfurt in the Rhine Valley. I guess he is one of the lucky few who get to call the Rhine Valley his home (a region populated of lots of Castles and an unrivaled production of fine wines). He offered me the opportunity to stay with him and his family in their guest quarters for a few days and do some sightseeing in the region & bring the pup back to Alaska. However, getting to Germany with my work schedule for a couple of days was not going to happen. Neither the breeder or I thought it would be a good idea to send the pup alone on 15 hr flight so I decided to send my father. Right before purchasing the tickets I was told by the breeder that another guy in Montana wanted one of the 3 males left but he could not make the trip due to work also. We thought for 2 pups to travel together it may not be too stressful, so we are having the pups flown directly into Seattle, Washington on the 2nd of Jan. I will fly up to Seattle and bring her back with me as a carry-on. The cost of shipping for two puppies was only $330 per dog, and the breeder is getting all the paperwork together for the airlines.

Default Female Drahthaar

Quote Originally Posted by wbooth View Post
    I have a female almost 2 years old and I would love to have a litter. She is more of a pet to my kids than a hunter but she will chase rabbits for me and retrieve birds. I have the German papers that came with her. Questions?/

Bill Booth
    Palmer
    745-5464
    Have you done any of the VDD-GNA tests?

Default tests

She did not, all of her siblings and both parents did. I know it makes the pups worth more and the owner of her mother put some pressure on me to get it done. I dropped the ball and was just happy with my new dog.

Are drahthaars recognized by NAVDHA or by AKC?

Thanks in advance....

Smile Drahthaar's

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    Are drahthaars recognized by NAVDHA or by AKC?

Thanks in advance....
    Fullkurl,

Yes and no. The North American Versatile Dog Hunting Association (NAVDHA) recognizes the Drahthaar and its closely linked relative the German Wirehaired Pointer, but the AKC only recognizes the German Wirehaired Pointer at this time. However, the Drahthaar has its own organization the VDD, which is the largest hunting dog organization in the world.

You might be interested to know some of the differences between the organizations so I will try to explain a little bit because the differences are greater than their similarities. The Verein Deutsch Drahthaar originated in Germany, and it is the most common hunting dog in German hunting establishments. The breed resulted from a group of German breeders in the 19th Century intent on creating a versatile hunting dog from the traits of the best dogs of existing coarse hair breeds, cross bred with the shorthair blood. These ancestors included the Stichelhaar, Pudelpointer, Griffon and the Deutsch-Kurzhaar. The Drahthaar is often confused with its close relative the Germain Wirehaired Pointer, which is the result of the Drahthaar's imported into the U.S. after WWII.

Although NAVHDA recognizes the Drahthaar as a versatile hunting breed, the Deutsch Drahthaar has its own dedicated organization VDD. The VDD does not recognize the German Wirehaired Pointer due primarily to the uncontrolled breeding and lack of performance standards. The VDD Organization is responsible for maintaining a tightly regulated breeding program via a series of performance based tests. These tests are similar to the NAVHDA tests, but in the case of the VDD the test results will determine whether the animal is fit to breed. Therefore, a VDD registered breeder is only allowed to breed an animal that has passed their tests. This is not the case with AKC or NAVHDA.

I am not saying that one organization or breeder is better or worse then another. If you are possibly interested in a Drahthaar or other versatile hunting dog I would recommend checking out the VDD-GNA website and reading up on few of the differences between the various organizations (VDD, NAVHDA & AKC). Basically, my decision for a Drahthaar was 100% based on the strict breeding regulations and the test results of previous dogs in this particular litter's bloodline.

Hope this was not too much!

Justin

Default Educating

I think its great your sharing your thought process in choosing a dog. With the amount of time and money involved it is only proper to support breeders focused on bettering a breed every litter.

What do they say.......If your not part of the solution, your part of the problem.

Its very kind of you to offer transport assistance for this special purchase. Just maybe theres a lucky Alaskan ready for such a special dog.