Thread: scope question?

Default scope question?

I had an old redfield 4x12 in my safe that I put on a 22-250. on the bell it has a bunch of numbers with a Y/M under them. what does this do? I'm usually a low power scope guy or an open site guy. Never dealt with this before and I'm curious.

Thanks
    Joel

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Sounds like an Adjustable Objective. The numbers are yards/meters. Turn the objective to set the parallax for the various yards/meters.

Thanks Allen. now if I were to zero it at 200yards, and I set it for 200. now lets say I sight in at a dog at say 600yards and adjust the parrelex to the 600 range would it screw it up. grant it I know about the bullet drop etc if set for 200 but do I have to sight it in for a certain range or can I adjust it depending on conditions and range.

Thanks
    Joel

Default Parallax Adjustment

Joel,

I'm not sure what your asking with the dog, but the A/O scope doesn't compensate for bullet drop. You'll need to do that with hold or dial up on the turrets.

Parallax is objective focus. The Object here is a P/D. When the A/O's work correcty you would look through the scope and adjust the A/O dial until the object is in clear focus, then read the range off the dial. Usually this is +/- a 100 yards. It is normally just to clear up the object in view. The reticle focus is at the ocular (eyepiece) end of the scope.

A/O dials are normally on target/varmint scopes but some prefer them on big game hunting scopes as well. They have no real purpose at settings below 10X due to the depth of focus of the lower power scopes. It is common on the Leupold 4.5-14, and 6-20 power scopes.

This sounds like a good P/D set up. I like the 22-250 but you gotta shoot slow when in a big town, they get hot.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?