Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 66

Thread: One Halibut a day Again, FYI

  1. #1

    Default One Halibut a day Again, FYI

    73 FR 78276, December 22, 2008. Proposed rule to limit the harvest of Pacific halibut by guided sport charter vessel anglers in International Pacific Halibut Commission Regulatory Area 2C of Southeast Alaska to one halibut per day. Comment period through January 21, 2009.
    http://www.fakr.noaa.gov/index/prule...ibut&method=GO
    Now this is only for the Charter Business but at one a day there will be some charters going out of business.
    I think they need to limit the size of fish not amount, keep taking the females out of the pool, females being the big 100+ halibut and the fishing will drop. I bet the 250 pound fish kept, gets wasted freezer burnt and trown. I know lots of people who toss 100 ponds of salmon each spring so they can re-fill the freezer?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,448

    Default

    Not to get personal but i refuse to buy Halibut in the store any more. If they are in so tight a supply i better not eat more than i will catch when i am up there this summer.

  3. #3
    Member moose-head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    @ Seminary, Dubuque Ia
    Posts
    839

    Default

    Thanks for posting Phirana, speaking for myself I don't pay attention enough and tend to forget. That is when things start to go wrong. Good post, thanks.

  4. #4

    Default

    hello? I've been saying "slot limit" for years. Keep them breeders in the ocean for everyone! A big halibut is poor table fare anyway. We could change the derby's to all tagged fish or randomly drawn weekly and monthly weights down to the ounce. I have always hated to see the big ones get killed. Who wouldn't rather have ten 20 pounders instead of one 200 pounder every year!

  5. #5

    Thumbs up

    I fully agree with Brackman47 on the slot limits. This theory has worked well for Sturgeon in the Columbia River. There are more Sturgeon than ever. I am new to this board and an avid sport fisherman. I will be doing the inside passage this year and my plan is to release everything outside the 30-50 pound range. Everything over 100 pounds should be released by both sports and commercial to allow proper propagation of the species.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brackman47 View Post
    hello? I've been saying "slot limit" for years. Keep them breeders in the ocean for everyone! A big halibut is poor table fare anyway. We could change the derby's to all tagged fish or randomly drawn weekly and monthly weights down to the ounce. I have always hated to see the big ones get killed. Who wouldn't rather have ten 20 pounders instead of one 200 pounder every year!
    Thanks to this forum, I threw every halibut over 60-70 pounds back last year in hope that they will spawn. I have to admit it, it was tough a couple of times.

  7. #7
    Member AKCAPT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seward
    Posts
    1,126

    Default Still Two Halibut in South Central

    There is still a two halibut bag limit - Any size in South Central Alaska. The one fish limit is for charters in South East Alaska only.

    There are several problems with slot limits for halibut. First, the charter catch is only a small fraction of the overall harvest. A slot limit for charters would do nothing to limit the other 85% of the harvest of halibut from taking the large breeders.

    Imagine of all users of the halibut resource were required to not keep any halibut over 80 pounds. The ocean would be loaded with huge hogs to catch and release. The commercial guys do get a higher price for the large fish so they would not be in favor accepting a slot limit.

    Without all users accepting the slot, it will not work.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    There is still a two halibut bag limit - Any size in South Central Alaska. The one fish limit is for charters in South East Alaska only.

    There are several problems with slot limits for halibut. First, the charter catch is only a small fraction of the overall harvest. A slot limit for charters would do nothing to limit the other 85% of the harvest of halibut from taking the large breeders.

    Imagine of all users of the halibut resource were required to not keep any halibut over 80 pounds. The ocean would be loaded with huge hogs to catch and release. The commercial guys do get a higher price for the large fish so they would not be in favor accepting a slot limit.

    Without all users accepting the slot, it will not work.
    You certainly hit the nail on the head there. I figured I just lead by example in my selfless approach to letting the hogs go.

  9. #9

    Default

    Until you change the regulations it is illegal for the commercial fishermen to release any halibut of legal size as long as they have any unfished IFQ's

  10. #10

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    There is still a two halibut bag limit - Any size in South Central Alaska. The one fish limit is for charters in South East Alaska only.

    There are several problems with slot limits for halibut. First, the charter catch is only a small fraction of the overall harvest. A slot limit for charters would do nothing to limit the other 85% of the harvest of halibut from taking the large breeders.

    Imagine of all users of the halibut resource were required to not keep any halibut over 80 pounds. The ocean would be loaded with huge hogs to catch and release. The commercial guys do get a higher price for the large fish so they would not be in favor accepting a slot limit.

    Without all users accepting the slot, it will not work.
    Agreed
    Nothing will work without making it effective for all. Someday the commercials will have to wake up and learn that being greedy now, ends up being hungry later. Can they not take a lesson from the east coast and gulf coast and southern pacific that raping the ocean will soon come to an end for all. I fish off of Oregon and it is almost impossible to bottomfish any longer there are vast areas that are closed to fishing. One of my favorite areas for bottom and halibut fishing is closed due to the draggers taking everything that lived. What they didn't want, they threw overboard (DEAD)

    I would hate to see the last of the quality fishing (Alaska)go down the tube. If ever I can do anything to help preserve this fishery, let me know. As true sportsmen, we can catch and release and take pictures of those monsters as we release them. True, we want to come home with some meat and 2 twenty pounders will eat just as well as 1 forty pounder with a better eating fish.

    This reminds me of a story told to me by a colored gentleman down in South Carolina. A buddy and I were cat fishing and came into the dock when we encountered this gentleman. We had several cats in the three to four pound range and he had a bunch in the 10 pound plus range. We asked him where he was fishing to get those big cats and this was his reply.
    "Boy's, I tell you sumtin right now. Thems fish is out there but I'se trade them there fish for your fish. We asked why he would trade and his reply was " Boys, thems fish is born with every ounce of flavor they evea gonna have and the bigger them fish get, the more that flavor gotta stretch.

    During the years, I have found this to be absolutley true.

  11. #11
    Member AKBassking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SE Alaska-Summer Columbia River-Winter
    Posts
    2,007

    Default Court Action

    I thought the Chaters won a court case over this?

    ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    I thought the Chaters won a court case over this?
    At this point, it is just a proposal. But, we all know what that potentially could mean. And that is just what it says; one fish.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    I thought the Chaters won a court case over this?
    They won a preliminary injunction, the court case was never heard. This fall, NMFS withdrew the final rule that was the basis of the lawsuit. They are now reissuing a proposed rule for a one halibut daily bag limit in SE AK (2C). This is the only measure that was chosen as having the least effect and would bring the charter fleet close to their GHL allocation. The alternative that the charter fleet spoke against at the NPFMC when this was being deliberated is a two fish bag limit but a shorter season.

  14. #14
    Member SoggyMountain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bait Station, Alaska 99801
    Posts
    861

    Default

    I don't need more than one chicken (not talking halibut here)
    per day to feed me.

    I don't need more than a single hog (not talking halibut here) to feed me for several weeks.

    I think it is important to limit harvests. And, I think I'm glad with this decision.

    People waste so much for nothing.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,448

    Default

    For what its worth i am coming up this summer. My buddy has a boat in Homer and thats where we will be fishing. I would not spend the money to take out a charter for one fish. I fully intend on keeping my two fish if i am so lucky. I will not keep a fish over 35#. One big barn door will make a lot of little halibut and thats good for every one. Also one must look at the genetics, If you keep taking all the big ones then those genetics get lost and the avg. fish gets smaller. Personaly it hurts when i get a walleye down here over 3lbs and i cant get her revived and i wind up having to keep it. I like to see the prime breeders stay in the water so they can do what they do so we have a stable population. That way everyone wins. I have also kept some pretty small fish that were not going to make it. Personaly if i kill a fish no matter how small i count it against my limit instead of throwing it back for the gulls to eat. I love to eat fish and so i want there to be fish to eat in the future.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    For what its worth i am coming up this summer. My buddy has a boat in Homer and thats where we will be fishing. I would not spend the money to take out a charter for one fish. I fully intend on keeping my two fish if i am so lucky. I will not keep a fish over 35#. One big barn door will make a lot of little halibut and thats good for every one. Also one must look at the genetics, If you keep taking all the big ones then those genetics get lost and the avg. fish gets smaller. Personaly it hurts when i get a walleye down here over 3lbs and i cant get her revived and i wind up having to keep it. I like to see the prime breeders stay in the water so they can do what they do so we have a stable population. That way everyone wins. I have also kept some pretty small fish that were not going to make it. Personaly if i kill a fish no matter how small i count it against my limit instead of throwing it back for the gulls to eat. I love to eat fish and so i want there to be fish to eat in the future.

    I share a very similar attitude when I am fishing for all species of fish. But, as it was pointed out in a another thread, until the commercial guys are forced to conserve the big hoggs, what we are doing as a conservation effort probably isn't helping very much. None the less, I say you lead by example.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    607

    Default

    I used to live in Anchorage and every spring I would take my freezer burned fish and meats to the Zoo (not sure if they still do this - liability and all that) and was disgusted by how much halibut and salmon was thrown out for animal feed. After I bought a Foodsaver I had a lot less waste and didn't go anymore.....however, it looked to me like a lot of folks harvested a lot more fish than they used. My wife and I usually eat fish once a week and smoke up some for treats and the 15 or 20 reds and silvers we take each year meets our needs just fine.

    I have friends who go out a dozen times a year with a boat full of people......they would have to eat halibut a couple times a week for the 2 of them to come close to eating all they caught.

    I do agree that a 1 fish limit would kill the charter business.....I sure wouldn't pay $150 for 1 fish....but would it be right for the resource? I agree that until the commercial guys release the barndoors to ensure survival of the fish we should continue to study the possibilities of sharing the burden.

    I remember, many many years ago, being able to catch good size halibut within an hour of the Seward and Homer docks.....did the sportfishermen fish all of those fish out? Does anyone have any facts about that?

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,448

    Default

    to reply to who did what i wonder how many 100lb plus have ever been releases by the comfish guys. I dont blame them as they have to make some money too. I think that will tell you what needs to happen

  19. #19
    Member AKBassking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SE Alaska-Summer Columbia River-Winter
    Posts
    2,007

    Default OK

    if we are going to limit the Charters, let's limit the commercials too.

    1. All commercial boats are required to be registered in Alaska.
    2. All owners of said boats must be Alaskan residents.
    3. All processing must be done on on shore processing plants in Alaska or on processing vessels owned and registered in Alaska.
    4. Out of State vessels will not be allowed to fish commercially within Alaskan waters.

    ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    607

    Default

    Only problem with Basskings suggestions are that some of them are not allowed under the constitution.....same problem that comes up with out of state guides......as far as I know any U.S. resident can conduct business in any state of the U.S.

    I really wish the commercial fishery were for and by Alaskans but most of the pollack processor/catcher boats and crabbers are out of Washington and Oregon. Not sure about the Halibut fleet.....anyone have some facts there?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •