Thread: Fall 2009 Moose hunt

Default Fall 2009 Moose hunt

Hello,
    I'm planning a moose hunt for 2009. I've looked at Bay Air, hunting out of the Wood Tikchik area, 40 Mile Air in the Yukon Charley area, and Circle Air in unit 25A. Anyone ever hunted with Circle Air? What about the other two?

I'm an Alaska resident, I've done float hunts and drop hunts. I can't decide which method I prefer. Float hunts tend to be more work, but you get new scenery around every corner. Then again, drop hunts can be challenging too if you have to walk far to find game. Any thoughts?

My number one concern is getting a nice bull moose (50" or better, nothing crazy, not looking for a record book, just a decent bull). And I want to be remote. I'm thinking about spending 10 days in the field, I can spend a few more if necessary.

Which of the areas I've mentioned provide the best opportunity to hunt moose? Are there better places and different Air Taxis you'd recommend?

Thanks for the help.
    -bobble

Bobble, I would prefer the float option, however, you are apt to run into more hunters. Finding a good topo will allow you to explore many of the good ponds near the river. Like anything else, it's hunting. You may run into a nice bull close to the river which makes hauling it out that much easier. How many in your party? Good Luck. Mooseman17

mooseman,
    2 people in my party, but we'd only get one moose (one is enough for our household).

Have you heard anything about 25A for moose? What about Circle Air?

thanks,
    bobble

Default 25a

will cost you, Circle Air is a crap shoot, you never know who is going to show up to fly you, Good Frenchy or Bad Frenchy. Id Call Bob at Wrights air service, I think is is charging 3500 per person to the Sheenjek river, a good area for big moose. The Christian River is over looked as is Windy Creek, might be cheeper from Coldfoot for Windy Creek.

AK,
    Thanks for the info. Know anyone who flies out coldfoot?

Coyote Air. Here is their website.
    http://www.flycoyote.com/default.asp

Leif at 40 Mile sells out his moose hunts fast. He starts booking on Dec 1st. If you want to go to that area better call ASAP.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

thanks fellas,
    It does look like 25A is expensive to hunt...it's a long way out there.

What about the Charley River, ever floated that? How long did it take? Any Mooses?

I just spoke to Bob yesterday on this and he is fliying out and pick up for 3600.00 per gun to the sheenjek. I thought that seemed to be a bit high, can anyone give a ball park price on what a fly out and or pick up should be. I too am trying to plan a hunt in the fall as Bobblehead.

I am not trying to step on your thread bobblehead just looking for more information on the same.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I wonder if the additional cost to fly into 25A is worth it compated to hunting 20E? More moose, less people, the further you go?

Thumbs up Coldfoot, AK

Coyote Air flies out of Coldfoot, Alaska. Call Dirk at 907 378-0678, www.flycoyote.com, Email info@flycoyote.com. Longtime pilot and air service with great safety record. Beaver of wheels....

Dennis B.
    AK TAGS

Default Flat rate or tach time?

Instead of paying rates like $3600 to fly in to hunt with your own gear. isn't it better to find an air service that charges tach time?

I am pretty sure that the $3600 costs also includes meat hauls, which can take 2-3 trips depending on how many moose are taken by your group. Bob's pilots are some of the best in the state and I wouldn't hesitate to fly with them again.

Default Good luck

finding anyone going by TACH Time, at a minimum they will be using HOBBS Time. but for the most part its a flat rate to a location. Wrights might seem high but take into consideration that the price quoted will get you, your gear and your game in and out. Figure its over two hours one way in a Helio, 1 load in and two loads out, 12 hours total fying time from Fairbanks to the Sheenjek at $600 an hour, it adds up fast.

Success rates on the Charely are low, 25% vs 75-80% on the sheenjek, you also have a better change at a nice bou and Griz. The Charley is a ***** if water levels are even slightly low. Then tack on an extra 3 days floating the Yukon back to Circle (if there is no wind).

It will cost all most as much to fly with 40 mile to do a drop hunt for moose. They use super cubs so it will take two trips just to get the two of you in with 50lbs pounds of gear each, 1750 per person. Hard to do a moose hunt with just 50lbs so figure a extra flight for needed gear 700/2=350 per person. They then tack on more if you harvest a animal, 900 per moose.

So in the big picture going to a place thats semi remote with a decent success rate for a 50"+ moose will be over 3 grand

Default Circle, AK

I had a friend and his hunting partner make a deal over the phone with Circle Air for a fly in float trip on the Sheenjek. When they got there, "Bad Frenchy" decided to change the price of the trip. They had two options, pay more for the trip or not go and drive back to Anchorage. They made the long trip and wanted to go hunting, so they reluctantly paid the additional amount; and I'm not talking a few hundred bucks because it was much more significant. The bad thing is my friend was
    directed to Circle Air from one of his buddies who had several good trips with them. Who knows????

Are success rates on the Sheenjek really 80% ? That seems like almost a gaurentee. Where are you getting these numbers from? Not calling you out, it just sounds to good to be true.

Default Success

My numbers are from first hand info from friends that have and or still do that hunt. They float, but get off the main river, the 75-80% is based on oppertunity to harvest, knowing the area surely helps. For example, one year they had already shot 3 nice caribou and a Grizz, could have taken 2 nice moose but were already out of room so they passed.

Im sure success rates are much lower if all you do is float and hunt from the raft.

The river my buddy and I float for moose is accessable and hunted by others, but we are baiting 100% on moose. Of course knowing where and how to hunt that river makes a difference.