Thread: Boat cabin Heat

Default Boat cabin Heat

I fish in Valdez and have an older 26' boat that doesn't have a heating system. The cabin is large and has a nice sliding door in the back. I can close the cabin up on those cold mornings. I don't like using a little propane heater like the coleman buddy but it works. The only problem is everything fogs up using the propane I have to leave things cracked open for fresh air etc. I've been looking at West Marines catalog and see the hydronic heater, hose, duct kit that uses engine heat just like a car or the little Origo alcohol heater. What other options are there that are simple, work well without moisture problems? I'd like to stay under $500 or my wife will make me start donating body parts in exchange for a parts budget.

They hydronic heater may work ok but like an automobile you will need to have the engine running to keep the water hot. The Origo, in my opinion, is a waste of money and a glorified pan of burning alcohol. And it will put out moisture.

Look around and find a nice used Dickenson diesel heater or stove, you won't be disapointed.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I have a 26 ft hewescraft and this summer installed a Webasto heater. I'm pretty pleased with it. Heats the cabin up nice and no more moisture. I picked mine up off Ebay for about half the price of a new on. Pretty simple to install. Let me know if you have anymore questions. Only downside to this unit is it draws on the battery to run the fan.

Charterboat Operator

Default webasto

i have the webasto also on my 28' alumaweld, burns about a gallon a day and keeps my 12' cabin TOASTY. any moisture from an overnighter is gone in about 15 minutes. dont know how spendy they are.

Quite few people have installed the Toyo NS-2800 . Its larger than the webasto, but the fuel pump is integrated in the unit. The downside to the Toyo is they would rather you not use diesel. I think some people are using diesel but I have not heard whether they have had problems. I use Jet A in mine(cuz its free). I've had mine for a year and it works great.

Good luck

D
    2007 220 OP ET HT
    Yamaha F250txr
    Yamaha 8 kicker
    Garmin 498

Default Thanks

I have a toyo in my house and love it. I had no idea they made a small boat type heater. E-mailed them to get a price and availability. The Webasto is very interesting to. Nice and small. Silly question about fueling it. Where would I put a tank? Is it gravity feed? Diesel comatible or Kerosene? It looks like either of those would suit my size and location constraints. Any idea on prices? I thank you for the info.
    Have a Merry Christmas All.

Default Don't Buy Kerosene

Kerosene and Jet-A are basically identical.... except for the $7 per gallon price difference.

Tealer I put my tank outside the cabin. You can pretty much place the tank anywhere. The unit is not gravity fed it has a fuel pump. The Webasto and Espar units are pretty advanced technology. The webasto will burn either Diesel or kerosene and I'm sure the Espar is the same. Kerosene is recommended because it is cleaner and will result in less maintenance issues down the road. If you PM me your email address I can send you a PDF copy of the installation instructions and Sure Marine Catalog that has all the trick stuff you can add to the unit. This may be helpful in selecting your choise of heater. I paid around 850 for mine and that included everything to completely install it. Beware they make two versions. One for vehicles and another for marine use.

I had a wallas 1300 forced air heater in my old hewescraft that did ok. It really helped take the moisture and nip out of the air. It ran on 100% mineral spirits and sipped the fuel. My current boat has an Espar Airtronic in it and it is great. At -20 it will be shirt sleeve temperatures in the cabin. They run quite a bit more than $500, though.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoatR View Post
    Kerosene and Jet-A are basically identical.... except for the $7 per gallon price difference.

What do you mean by basically identical? Where can this be purchased in Anchorage? I cannot believe kerosene is going for $7-$9 per gallon. Crazy! I do not use that much per season, but any savings is always appreciated.

And a few additives in the Jet_A.

Also, Just as mentioned about the webasto , espar,and wallas, the toyo requires battery power as well. The fuel pump on the toyo does make a soft, tick tick sound while running. I used a 3 gallon outboard style fuel tank for mine. The line and fittings that come with the toyo are metric. The toyo is very easy on the fuel too.

D
    2007 220 OP ET HT
    Yamaha F250txr
    Yamaha 8 kicker
    Garmin 498

Default Jet-A vs Kerosene

Commercial Jet-A is pure kerosene. This last summer i saw the prices of Kerosene at the store as high as $11 a gallon. Jet-A at your local airport is currently a little over $3 a gallon. I'm not sure if you can go fill up a 5 gallon can, but I believe their are unmanned pumps that you can use your credit card at.... I would think you could fill up a container.

Commercial Jet-A is pure kerosene. This last summer i saw the prices of Kerosene at the store as high as $11 a gallon. Jet-A at your local airport is currently a little over $3 a gallon. I'm not sure if you can go fill up a 5 gallon can, but I believe their are unmanned pumps that you can use your credit card at.... I would think you could fill up a container.
    Thanks for the clarification. I use about 20-30 gallons of kerosene per season. Probably not worth my time trying to track down a CC pump with Jet A. I will check Merrill Field, though. I frequent the gravel strip from time to time.

Default Espar Heater Info

Here is a link for the Espar line of air and water system heaters:
    http://www.espar.com/documents/marine.pdf

As posted on this and other previous threads, Ebay is a great source for these systems.

SeaULater