Thread: Higher End Packages

Default Higher End Packages

The more one reviews and studies the various fishing packages in Alaska the more one sees these "higher end" fishing packages. 4 days/3 nights costs more than $2,100 per person. Some as high as $3K each. I'm sure they great trips but I wonder what % of visiting fisherman to Alaska each year buy these expensive deals?

I know owners/operators of several of those lodges, and most have bookings at least two years in advance. They keep adding guest rooms, staff and planes, so business is obviously good. Compared to packaged brown bear hunts, fishing is still cheap. Just out of my reach by quite a bit.

I'm planning on getting a pike trip like that in a year or two up here...actually in the Yukon drainages area. I figure it's OK to spend that kind of cash to learn where to go by myself later. Plus, I'm a pike maniac.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

There are a lot of outfitters, mostly on the road system that can give you a very quality trip with a riverfront cabin (at least on the Kenai) for a lot less and still have a great trip. You may not get steak, shrimp and wine every night but you will eat good, sleep good, and catch fish. Don't let those higer end packages scare you away

Default An upside to the higher end...

If I was going to splurge I would stay at the Millinium in Anchorage ($125 a night based on 2 persons) and have the bush plane jocks fly me in and out each and every day. ($200 each based on 2 persons) My transportation to and from the hotel would be free. My transportation to and from the float plane would be free. I would not have to worry about the weather in the least. My accomodations would be top-notch. I'd pay a cabbie to shuttle my catch to 10th and M for processing ($12.50 based on 2 persons) and have it FED EX'ed home. (about $125 per person per a day's catch)

Three days of this would run me $1413.75, tax included. I have the best hotel in the city, 3 custom fly-ins, and all fish processed and shipped home.
    For a base rate in total luxury, one can see that the higher end need not cost an arm and an leg...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

I agree with what brownbear says: I know owners/operators of several of those lodges, and most have bookings at least two years in advance. They keep adding guest rooms, staff and planes, so business is obviously good. These owners all say that 80% of their business is from either "repeats" and/or their friends. And I'm sure business is excellent because the cruise lines are stating the same thing regarding their Alaska/Europe side of their business . So obviously this "money thing" that all we here about in America is alive and well. And finding some of its way into Alaska. And YES I'd love to spend some time at one of these upscale resorts. I saw recently one of these high tech packages offering a 10% discount to a party of 6. WOW, 10% off $18K? A whopping 10%? More like 50%, then we're talking.

Default let's face it...

the number of people who are obscenely rich is growing mightily...the money you guys are calling "high end" these folks could lose in thier couch and not miss.
    there are LOTS of "sportsmen" who pay big bucks just to one-up the other guy. i have literally had clients turn to another member of thier party and ask, upon seeing the moose they had just shot "is this bigger then the one in****'s game room?" last year i had a client open a book and say "let me know if one is coming" when i set up to call moose. (yeah, right)
    anyhow, lots of folks just don't realize that what most reasonable people consider a lot of money is negligable to the truly wealthy.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Talk to any upscale home builder in the USA and or luxury car dealer. They'll tell you the same thing. America has turned into a self embracing toilet. ALL about money, materialism , and greed. Shoving it down someone throat is new "game" now. More million dollar homes in America than ever before. And I'm sure some of these ---holes find their way up to Alaska to "piss" all over everyone. No wonder why 70% of Americans do NOT like the direction we're going. And the worst part about all of this is nobody is embarrassed with their selfish/childish actions.

Red face But is it really?

Are these "high end" trips really that expensive considering what you get? ARTSBEST's package figures out to $520/person/day as contrasted to AKAuthor's "cut-rate" $470/day/person. Nor did I see where AKA figured in the cost of food, which, I'd imagine, is furnished at a lodge.

For a $50/day saving, AKA's plan let's one enjoy the "ambiance" of downtown Anchorage as opposed to a pristine setting in the bush. AKA's plan entails, what, three or four or more hours a day flying in and out, whereas a lodge likely offers fishing off the front porch. Too, chatting with cabbies and shuttle drivers can't be compared to evenings of conversation with fellow anglers.

Who can take a vacation these days for much less than two or three thousand dollars for a week or ten days? What's a week in Hawaii worth from Alaska? Could it be the real problem is coming up with a couple grand? We are by no means wealthy and save for our vacations so that cost-cutting and worrying about a few bucks here and there aren't or don't become the be-all and end-all of our trips.

Savings and prudence are fine, but in the end hopefully what we're buying is memories. To each his own.

Default Higher End Trips

Hold on Marcus. Your pricing assumptions are NOT being calculated on a 4 night plan as are MOST of these packages I initially referred to are. Which comes out to $750 per day NOT $400+. On a weekly basis you're talking about a $4,500 week. And I don't care if one goes to Mars, that ain't cheap.

Unhappy Help me out. . .

Quote Originally Posted by ARTSBEST View Post
    Hold on Marcus. Your pricing assumptions are NOT being calculated on a 4 night plan as are MOST of these packages I initially referred to are. Which comes out to $750 per day NOT $400+. On a weekly basis you're talking about a $4,500 week. And I don't care if one goes to Mars, that ain't cheap.

ARTSBEST: I used your figures of $2100/person for four days, which figures out to $520/person/day. What did I miss?

OK, 4 days it is.

Default Downtown Anchorage fly-outs and ambience...

They take 30 to 45 minutes and you are there.

And as one who has spent numerous times in remote lodge settings surrounded by guests of sometimes dubious persona, I can only say that my advice was based on my own experiences. The more control I can have in any setting, the greater I enjoy it...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com