Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Meat racks

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,637

    Default Meat racks

    Do you use one?
    Keeps hanging meat safe, and is the best "dehydrator" on the market.

    When were about , we'll throw up a quick one to keep meat off the ground.

    At home or at camp, we use a coastal style rack.

    Great for whole animals, drying meat , drying fish and storing things off the ground and above the dogs.

    Makes a good meat smoker too.
    Nothing like a nice meat rack!
    Last edited by strangerinastrangeland; 12-23-2008 at 03:08. Reason: trying to fix title spelling

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,637

    Default

    LOL!!

    tryed to correct my Title spelling

    Ok, Ok, Ill keep my words to a minimum....

  3. #3
    Moderator Alaskacanoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sterling
    Posts
    1,450

    Default wow

    those are way cool pictures
    I am jealous
    That is some nice harvest
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

    Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

  4. #4
    Member Trapak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    283

    Thumbs up Your meat rack...

    S.I.A.S.L.: Thanks for sharing the photos. I love seeing more of the traditional ways to prepare and care for the fish and game that we harvest. If I was out your way, I'd be doing the same. My meat usually hangs in my shop or under a lean-to. Merry Christmas to you and may your meat locker be full.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    West"by GOD"Virginia
    Posts
    168

    Default

    I was ALWAYS interested in this process. Is it practical to do in the lower 48? What to do if the temp gets to what?

    til later

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,637

    Default

    The Temp dosent really matter, unless its very hot and you dont cut your meat thin. Hot weather does bring bugs, so you should light a smudge.Smoke helps keep the bugs off, but in hot weather you must look for fly eggs twice a day. For smoke we burn Alders and Fish and meats litely smoked taste great.
    What you want is a nice breeze and light your fire up wind, so the wind trickles along the food. The breeze will dry your meats at any temp.

    The first picture in the thread shows a willow wood frame
    Below are Tarps over a willow frame. About 200 Salmon at a time in there, ion various stages of drying. They are moved to the picts left as they dry, away from the smoke.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    West"by GOD"Virginia
    Posts
    168

    Default

    THANK YA! I live on top a ridge so lack of a breeze shouldn't be a problem. I may try and set up something small and give it a try. Of course we don't have Alders here but do have Hickory. How long does it usually take for meat?
    GREAT pics by the way! And GREAT to see the old traditions kept alive. THANKS again.

    til later

  8. #8
    Member Ellamar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Yep, we use one!

    This is a pic of just finishing bagging the moose ready to load them in the boats for the haul home.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9

    Default

    Thanks for sharing your pics, its interesting to catch a glimpse of what living away from civilization is like. I would love to take a year off and truly experience it till then thanks for sharing!

    What is the meat in the first pic on the top rail?

    Ellamar how many moose are on your rack?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,637

    Default

    Thanks for the complements!

    The meat on the top rail is dryed Caribou meat, as opposed to the fresh cuts being put on the lower rails from where my wife and Bro inlaw are sitting.
    Theres some Herring drying in the back as well as some Salmon. Must be mid July....It looks like one Caribou, minus a few meals, has been drying a couple days, and another fresher one has been cut up.

    A good meat rack can last for years, and we cache our poles at favorite camping spots.
    Poles are gather'd from the beach, cut down saplings in the forrest or along the rivers edge and tall water Willows will do nicely, if theres no trees around.

    Good to have.

  11. #11

    Default

    Stranger,
    We use a similar set up, but we always use a white cotton duck material tarp. It sheds water, and it stays a lot cooler under it, as opposed to the blue plastic/poly tarps. It is a little heavier on weight, but the additional weight seems to help, in wind storms.
    SP
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  12. #12
    Member jkb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    1,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mandengle View Post
    Ellamar how many moose are on your rack?
    I could count 25 quarters got to be at least 7. They might have found the infamous 5 legged moose though.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

  13. #13
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    To think this thread could save your life!


  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,637

    Default

    What a thought, LuJon....
    I read the book.
    That guy had it all, and died in summer.
    Your right though, if he had had a meat rack insted of smoking it in a cut bank, and then losing it all to maggots and rot, and then crying over it when he should have gone hunting again.

    It takes all kinds.
    Your primary tool is between your ears. Always Sharpen that tool.


    But Tarps...
    We use the expensive, but quiet in the wind ,canvas tarps over our tents,because the are better in the wind and "hold" better, insted of snapping...... and the cheap , loud, slippery but plentyfull plastic tarps over other things.
    They both have merits.
    Last edited by strangerinastrangeland; 12-25-2008 at 07:03. Reason: spelling

  15. #15

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    But Tarps...
    We use the expensive, but quiet in the wind ,canvas tarps over our tents,because the are better in the wind and "hold" better, insted of snapping...... and the cheap , loud, slippery but plentyfull plastic tarps over other things.
    They both have merits.
    Speaking of Tarps.
    How do you all dispose of the plastic/poly tarps out there? Or any of your plastics really for that matter?
    I usually try to burn them at night, so they don't put off that nasty black smoke, but curious on how others get rid of them. We actually tried burying some one time, and came back the following season only to find them dug up and scattered.
    SP
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,637

    Default

    Hmmmmmmm......

    I gues we wear them out first, then evetually burn them, though during the day....
    Id rather burn old stuff than set it directly inna dump.


    It looks like I may get tarps for X-mas! I wouldnt complain, though...

  17. #17
    Member DMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    1,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    The meat on the top rail is dryed Caribou meat, as opposed to the fresh cuts being put on the lower rails from where my wife and Bro inlaw are sitting.
    So the meat turns black once its dried? How long does it stay good for?
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,637

    Default

    Yep, it turns balck when dryed.
    Some people store dryed meat inna freezer and it can keep a loooooong time , as long as its dry. We store our inna cache, but we eat it up before it has a chance to grow old....LOL!
    Its a great way to take care of meat when you have no refidgeration or a freezer.
    Caribou done this way makes excellent gifts and can be easily traded away.

  19. #19
    Member Ellamar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    381

    Default

    You got it, jkb...7.

    The little one is a bear quarter, the rest of him was hanging at the other end.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •