Thread: Meat racks

Default Meat racks

Do you use one?
    Keeps hanging meat safe, and is the best "dehydrator" on the market.

When were about , we'll throw up a quick one to keep meat off the ground.

At home or at camp, we use a coastal style rack.

Great for whole animals, drying meat , drying fish and storing things off the ground and above the dogs.

Makes a good meat smoker too.
    Nothing like a nice meat rack!
    Last edited by strangerinastrangeland; 12-23-2008 at 03:08. Reason: trying to fix title spelling

LOL!!

tryed to correct my Title spelling

Ok, Ok, Ill keep my words to a minimum....

Default wow

those are way cool pictures
    I am jealous
    That is some nice harvest
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Thumbs up Your meat rack...

S.I.A.S.L.: Thanks for sharing the photos. I love seeing more of the traditional ways to prepare and care for the fish and game that we harvest. If I was out your way, I'd be doing the same. My meat usually hangs in my shop or under a lean-to. Merry Christmas to you and may your meat locker be full.

I was ALWAYS interested in this process. Is it practical to do in the lower 48? What to do if the temp gets to what?

til later

The Temp dosent really matter, unless its very hot and you dont cut your meat thin. Hot weather does bring bugs, so you should light a smudge.Smoke helps keep the bugs off, but in hot weather you must look for fly eggs twice a day. For smoke we burn Alders and Fish and meats litely smoked taste great.
    What you want is a nice breeze and light your fire up wind, so the wind trickles along the food. The breeze will dry your meats at any temp.

The first picture in the thread shows a willow wood frame
    Below are Tarps over a willow frame. About 200 Salmon at a time in there, ion various stages of drying. They are moved to the picts left as they dry, away from the smoke.

THANK YA! I live on top a ridge so lack of a breeze shouldn't be a problem. I may try and set up something small and give it a try. Of course we don't have Alders here but do have Hickory. How long does it usually take for meat?
    GREAT pics by the way! And GREAT to see the old traditions kept alive. THANKS again.

til later

Yep, we use one!

This is a pic of just finishing bagging the moose ready to load them in the boats for the haul home.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for sharing your pics, its interesting to catch a glimpse of what living away from civilization is like. I would love to take a year off and truly experience it till then thanks for sharing!

What is the meat in the first pic on the top rail?

Ellamar how many moose are on your rack?

Thanks for the complements!

The meat on the top rail is dryed Caribou meat, as opposed to the fresh cuts being put on the lower rails from where my wife and Bro inlaw are sitting.
    Theres some Herring drying in the back as well as some Salmon. Must be mid July....It looks like one Caribou, minus a few meals, has been drying a couple days, and another fresher one has been cut up.

A good meat rack can last for years, and we cache our poles at favorite camping spots.
    Poles are gather'd from the beach, cut down saplings in the forrest or along the rivers edge and tall water Willows will do nicely, if theres no trees around.

Good to have.

Stranger,
    We use a similar set up, but we always use a white cotton duck material tarp. It sheds water, and it stays a lot cooler under it, as opposed to the blue plastic/poly tarps. It is a little heavier on weight, but the additional weight seems to help, in wind storms.
    SP
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by mandengle View Post
    Ellamar how many moose are on your rack?
    I could count 25 quarters got to be at least 7. They might have found the infamous 5 legged moose though.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

To think this thread could save your life!

What a thought, LuJon....
    I read the book.
    That guy had it all, and died in summer.
    Your right though, if he had had a meat rack insted of smoking it in a cut bank, and then losing it all to maggots and rot, and then crying over it when he should have gone hunting again.

It takes all kinds.
    Your primary tool is between your ears. Always Sharpen that tool.

But Tarps...
    We use the expensive, but quiet in the wind ,canvas tarps over our tents,because the are better in the wind and "hold" better, insted of snapping...... and the cheap , loud, slippery but plentyfull plastic tarps over other things.
    They both have merits.
    Last edited by strangerinastrangeland; 12-25-2008 at 07:03. Reason: spelling

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    But Tarps...
    We use the expensive, but quiet in the wind ,canvas tarps over our tents,because the are better in the wind and "hold" better, insted of snapping...... and the cheap , loud, slippery but plentyfull plastic tarps over other things.
    They both have merits.
    Speaking of Tarps.
    How do you all dispose of the plastic/poly tarps out there? Or any of your plastics really for that matter?
    I usually try to burn them at night, so they don't put off that nasty black smoke, but curious on how others get rid of them. We actually tried burying some one time, and came back the following season only to find them dug up and scattered.
    SP
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Hmmmmmmm......

I gues we wear them out first, then evetually burn them, though during the day....
    Id rather burn old stuff than set it directly inna dump.

It looks like I may get tarps for X-mas! I wouldnt complain, though...

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    The meat on the top rail is dryed Caribou meat, as opposed to the fresh cuts being put on the lower rails from where my wife and Bro inlaw are sitting.
    So the meat turns black once its dried? How long does it stay good for?
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Yep, it turns balck when dryed.
    Some people store dryed meat inna freezer and it can keep a loooooong time , as long as its dry. We store our inna cache, but we eat it up before it has a chance to grow old....LOL!
    Its a great way to take care of meat when you have no refidgeration or a freezer.
    Caribou done this way makes excellent gifts and can be easily traded away.

You got it, jkb...7.

The little one is a bear quarter, the rest of him was hanging at the other end.