Thread: A "Hunter" helping out in time of need...

Default A "Hunter" helping out in time of need...

We finally bought our 11 year old daughter a horse about 3 weeks ago, an early Christmas present for a kid whose been doing really well with taking care of the horse while she's been taking lessons with her over the past 6 months or so. I've avoided herse ownership like the plague ever since the desire first began forming in her mind at age 5 when she decided she's going to become a veternarian and take care of horses.

I've been stuck up on the north slope for a 6 week long stint, never got to see the look on her face when her mother told her she was getting the horse for an early present, I just know that for the past 3 weeks she's been spending 12 to 14 hours a day at the ranch every day she wasnt in school, and most evenings till past 9pm. Suddenly I could never get ahold of anyone at my home when I'd phone!

Last night the horse somehow broke her leg and they had to put her down. While theres plenty of sadness about the whole thing for my kid and the owner of the ranch who mentored my daughter and this horse into the partnership that came to be, the brightest point in the story is about a neighbor of the ranchers a "hunter" by her description. A "hunter" who came over in the middle of the night to help them end the horses pain and suffering. By her description he was very compassionate, had her identify the temple, and ended the horses suffering mercifully and quickly.

It was actually heartwarming to hear this lady describe this as yet unknown to me "hunter" and how he helped us out at a time when I couldnt be there to take care of things myself. I'm not sure of this rancher's beliefs about hunting, but from the way she told the story, I think hunters will get some great press to all her friends and acquaintences on account of this man. I thought you all should hear of this man who hopefully isn't the only one of us out there who possesses these qualities.

Until I find out who you are and can thank you properly myself in person, I offer my thanks to you and all hunters of similar compassion.

Thank You
    Chris

Smile what a tough lesson though

I certainly do feel for your daughter and the loss of the horse.
    It is going to be a different Christmas for her, and your family.
    Your daughter got a lesson in reality though, and as a young person that wants to pursue the world of Veternary, This experience will be imbedded in her mind like no other...
    Her experience with a good neighbor ( hunter ) is going to go along ways in her life in defending those that are responsible with guns.
    God Bless you and yours.
    Thanks for sharing your daughter and family story
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default a tear

it's stories like this that try to bring a tear to my eye. It's a tough lesson that your daughter had to learn too quickly. I went through it with my daughter when she spent 7 days nursing the runt of a litter of pups that should have and would have never made it that long without her not stop care. Then to look in her eyes and tell her that the pup had to be but down was one of the toughest things I ever had to do. These kind of things are tough and even tougher when you can't be there. Glad to hear that there was someone to help them out and I hope that you find a way to replace the animal.

Quote Originally Posted by chriso View Post
    We finally bought our 11 year old daughter a horse about 3 weeks ago, an early Christmas present for a kid whose been doing really well with taking care of the horse while she's been taking lessons with her over the past 6 months or so. I've avoided herse ownership like the plague ever since the desire first began forming in her mind at age 5 when she decided she's going to become a veternarian and take care of horses.

I've been stuck up on the north slope for a 6 week long stint, never got to see the look on her face when her mother told her she was getting the horse for an early present, I just know that for the past 3 weeks she's been spending 12 to 14 hours a day at the ranch every day she wasnt in school, and most evenings till past 9pm. Suddenly I could never get ahold of anyone at my home when I'd phone!

Last night the horse somehow broke her leg and they had to put her down. While theres plenty of sadness about the whole thing for my kid and the owner of the ranch who mentored my daughter and this horse into the partnership that came to be, the brightest point in the story is about a neighbor of the ranchers a "hunter" by her description. A "hunter" who came over in the middle of the night to help them end the horses pain and suffering. By her description he was very compassionate, had her identify the temple, and ended the horses suffering mercifully and quickly.

It was actually heartwarming to hear this lady describe this as yet unknown to me "hunter" and how he helped us out at a time when I couldnt be there to take care of things myself. I'm not sure of this rancher's beliefs about hunting, but from the way she told the story, I think hunters will get some great press to all her friends and acquaintences on account of this man. I thought you all should hear of this man who hopefully isn't the only one of us out there who possesses these qualities.

Until I find out who you are and can thank you properly myself in person, I offer my thanks to you and all hunters of similar compassion.

Thank You
    Chris
    Sad times all around. I'm glad there was someone there to help.

Speaking as a veteran of daughters and lots of horses, and yes, putting a few down, there's some kind of chemistry between young girls and horses, and it isn't going to diminish as the girls turn into women.

Replace the horse, ASAP.

Sorry to hear about your daughters loss Chris. I am glad to hear someone was around that was able to help out so much.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

thanks for sharing i had to do that a few times as a young man on the farm... it is always painfull

VInce
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    it's stories like this that try to bring a tear to my eye. It's a tough lesson that your daughter had to learn too quickly.
    Pretty much what I was thinking. I couldn't help but think of a few good dogs that are no longer here when I read that story, and I'm sitting here scratching the ears of an old lab who went on one of his last hunts yesterday. Rough stuff that just never gets easier...